moving to snow country TDI

wyrmrider

TDI
2010 sportwagon
MKVI-A6 2010 Sportwagon semi- auto manual gearbox 16 inch wheels MY son is moving from Calif Desert to PA mountains what to do before he moves Coolant heater and/or pan heater? Get three more steel wheels and snow tires what size 205 60R 16 06, stock 205 55R 16 or narrower 195 60 R 16 I usually prefer narrow for winter but not many choices New high amp battery battery heater? what else? 0-30- 0w40 BMW or Merceedes Oil (for particulate filter) after warranty? tks

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
1. Keep a good proper battery in it.
2. Keep VW specified 5W40 - 0W30 oil in it
3. Fuel up with local fuel. If you feel the desire for more insurance, look at adding the recomended amount of PSwhite bottle with every fillup.

Coolant heater, while nice, is not strictly required. It's usually preferred over that other type heater you mentioned.

Tires - If it's really, really bad where you will be, consider an extra set of rims with real snow tires.

A lower engine guard (aka Panzer plate and the like) could possibly prevent lower engine damage.

Drive more worry less !!!!

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
some of this depends on where he will be, and what else is going on.

if he is headed to college or grad school, or in town, he might not need anything, if he has judgment to skip the trip if conditions are terrible. (usually for a couple hours. they are pretty good on clearing snow)

if, on the other hand, he will be out in the boonies on call and has to get to work, a good set of snows are required. (you can just order them delivered to him in PA from tire rack mounted and ready to go...) the slightly skinnier ones would be slightly better in snow, but worse on dry roads or ice. (my humble opinion)

if you really want him to be prepared, you can get a set of chains and make sure he knows how to use them, but they are likely better left in the trunk.

the 507 00 vw spec 5w30 will be fine.

( I drive to PA to ski several times a year and she always starts fine, at ten below. just have to wait that couple seconds for the glow plug light to go out.)

might want a new battery just for the heck of it, if it is the original.

if you really want to show him the love, take care of DSG service and timing belt if it is anywhere close to time, before he goes.

Last edited:

wyrmrider

TDI
2010 sportwagon
Thanks
new battery is 760CCA/910CA advanced grid type= biggest that would fit in box
he has chains
will change oil, fuel filter and DSG we did timing belt but ill check it- how often?
is there a water in the intercooler problem with this model?
Thinking of Michilin IceX or Bridgestone Blizzak
Teaching so sorta has to get to school on time
fairly short commute so I would like it to at least get warmed up to evaporate any condensation- only way I see to do that is with a heater
where is best spot to get fluids etc
I have auto shop in LA and I've rebuilt Vanagon motors but not many Diesels since Puegot

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Depending on where he is up here a heavy duty skid plate like dieselgeek offers, or similar. It's not the same up here as it is in California. How often have you run over woodchucks, raccoons, porcupines, or even a dead deer in the middle of the road after dark? You see much firewood strategically placed in the middle of the road out there? Does California even have dirt roads anymore? If he's in southern PA he may not even notice the difference til winter.

Sounds like you've got the cold start issues covered, just protect your investment with a good heavy duty skid plate.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
a frostheater or similar will only work if he can plug it in.

PA is not really northern MN, so depending on where he is, this may not be so handy. really optional, as long as he takes it for a drive once a week or so. probably want to explore the area with his efficient diesel.

http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/516/2010_All.pdf timing belt due at 120k miles.

DSG every 40k.

I put 10k on a set of xice on steelies last winter, driving all over the east coast, including PA ( Elk Mt) other tires are rated better in snow, but I had at least one icy trip I was glad i had them.

you can order fluids, but the local VW dealer may work with you at the parts desk. (be comparable on price) you do want to follow the specs for fluids. the transmission is more like a transfer case, since the clutches are in the fluid.

are you going to do the work in LA?

how many miles on the car now?

Last edited:

cmitchell

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS black / black leather
It's not the same up here as it is in California. How often have you run over woodchucks, raccoons, porcupines, or even a dead deer in the middle of the road after dark? You see much firewood strategically placed in the middle of the road out there? Does California even have dirt roads anymore?
Ever been to Del Norte County California? Thought not.

wyrmrider

TDI
2010 sportwagon
95 k miles
have been using 507 spec oil
doing work in Los Angeles Area
BTW found fuel filters at Autozone lowr priced than my wholesale supplier
thanks all
will be doing work first part on next month

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
think MKVI golf. CJAA engine, I think.

Best bet is to either talk to a person, or specify VIN when you buy parts.

most places will check if you give them that info, and double check for the right fit.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Depending on where he is up here a heavy duty skid plate like dieselgeek offers, or similar. It's not the same up here as it is in California. How often have you run over woodchucks, raccoons, porcupines, or even a dead deer in the middle of the road after dark? You see much firewood strategically placed in the middle of the road out there? Does California even have dirt roads anymore? If he's in southern PA he may not even notice the difference til winter.

Sounds like you've got the cold start issues covered, just protect your investment with a good heavy duty skid plate.
You forgot about those nice,big ice chunks that fall off truck mud flaps in the winter;)....