Need a Daily Driver... Or Jetta TDI vs. Civic?

jdhunt0

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
I am in need of a new daily driver. I have not yet driven a TDI Jetta, but I liked the 2.5L '06 I test drove. However, the more I read about these cars, the more I second guess myself. Are these cars that high maintanance? Should I just steer clear and get a Civic?

I drive about 150 miles round trip everyday and ~40+ mpg sounds great. I do not have a problem doing regular maintenance, but it don't look like there is a good TDI service location near me in western KY. Any suggestions?

flatlanded

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
The Jetta is going to offer you more creature comforts, a better ride, and the joy of driving a diesel. But yes, VW diesels require more strict maintenance than most. If you have a Guru close to you however, you can save alot of money. It also matters what options you choose, for example DSG's require alot more maintenance than the manual.

Don't let the forum bother you, this is the place people go to get help. You're not going to find a post "I had a wonderful problem free day" even though most of us did. Great community and lots of free help available. Also, it can teach you how to do some of the easier things yourself which also saves you money.

I wouldn't buy a Honda, but I'm biased. Test drive them both and go from there.

8v-of-fury

if you have any knowledge with a wrench and can read/search threads on here, you do not need a service station. The biggest job a TDI will need (year dependant) is a timing belt.. and following the book, its an easy job.

Either way you go, there will be maintenance. Either way you go there will be break-downs. So really, its up to your preference in what car you want to drive. I'd test drive both types of cars you are looking at to get a good feel of what you like. The TDI's have some nice torque when they hit boost at 19-2000rpms ;) a gas civic won't have this until what.. 6500rpms? lmao ;)

jdhunt0

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Thanks for the encouragement. I've talked to a couple garages here and they give me dirty looks when I mention VW. Guess I'll do all the work myself.

Due to my budget ($12k), I'm looking for an '06 with manual and around 100k miles. I'm having much better luck finding cars online than I am near home. I'm going to test drive some cars this weekend that have the TDI, but they are more than I'm willing to pay. Looks like I'll be doing a purchase online. I may ask for more help here for a forum member to check out a car for me.

Thanks

The J

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
There is a certain simplicity to Hondas that I really appreciate. They're just so easy to work on and dead nuts reliable as long as put oil in it when you're supposed to.

I am long time Honda owner that has been driving VWs for the last 5 years. Aside from the bugs and quirks, they're very well equipped for the money and ride much smoother, quieter, especially over 150 miles/day. That's a lot of time to be in a quiet cabin vs. the 'thinner walled' Civic.

Considering 20% higher gas mileage and nicer interior fit and finish, I would go with the TDI over the Civic.

People here are a great resource for any troubleshooting that will inevitably come up.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
It would be interesting to see what vehicle year and mileage 12K would get you if you look at a Civic.

flatlanded

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
When looking for an 06, ask what kind of oil was used and on what interval. The cam wear is an issue with that generation but it is believed that it can be avoided if the right oil is used. Also, when the last timing belt was done. There's a whole page of what to ask/look for on this website: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a5/2005-2006-VW-Jetta-TDI-buying-guide.htm

Other than that, have fun. It might take a bit of a trip to find the right TDI for you but it'll be worth it in the end.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
In addition to the 2 TDI's in the signature, not mentioned is a 04 Civic with 114,000 miles. Any questions fire away. The Civic's mpg commute ranges are 39 to 42 mpg.