Transmission issues - Replaced Speed Sensor - Now What?

JB JETTA

After going around a curve the other day, I pressed the accellerator and my car, (01 Jetta TDI) shot up to red line and did not shift properly - it seemed as it was shifting late. After this, it seemed to only shift through 1-3, but late. I took it to autozone and the only code it showed was related to the transmission (g68) speed sensor. I have replaced the sensor and the car is still shifting the same way. It seems to shift smoothly, but just late. What is the next step? Do I need to have something reset for it to realize the new part is working? The CEL is still on.

Thanks for any help that can be provided!

joetdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2-2002 Jettas W/Auto
Run new wires and connectors from the sensor to TCM. Clear the faults and run basic settings and you will be good to go. Your sensor was never the problem.

JB JETTA

joetdi said:
Run new wires and connectors from the sensor to TCM. Clear the faults and run basic settings and you will be good to go. Your sensor was never the problem.
Thanks - So this is for 2001 as well? I saw the TSB on some older models.

I did notice something else interesting, that made me think the sensor may be working now. When I was driving before replacing the sensor and I would go to "N" the brake would have to be pressed to get back to "D." Now, that is functioning normally without having to shift while moving.

Where can I find the new wires/connectors?

joetdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2-2002 Jettas W/Auto
The wires just have to be the same size and you can get them anywhere. The connectors, I believe you will have to go to the dealer for.

JB JETTA

Another new development - I did another "road test" because since the ice/snow here I haven't been able to do a real good once since the part change. It does now shift into 4th, albeit late, like the others. I read somewhere about resetting the "TCM" Is it possible my sensor was really bad and this is all that needs done? I am convinced something is different since the part change.

And... does the "code" reset itself?

Last edited:

joetdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2-2002 Jettas W/Auto
If the fault keeps coming back you need to do the wire repair. The basic setting on the TCM will fix the shifting problem.

JB JETTA

joetdi said:
If the fault keeps coming back you need to do the wire repair. The basic setting on the TCM will fix the shifting problem.
Sorry to ask so many questions, but how do you do the basic setting? Is this with VAG-COM or the pedal/key method?

joetdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2-2002 Jettas W/Auto
You can try the pedal/key method. I don't use vag-com. I use the factory scan tool.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
What's this pedal/key thing you're talking about,is it like a reset for the TCM?

JB JETTA

I am not familiar with the factory scan tool - is the reset in there different than the pedal method? The pedal method doesn't seem to help. Should I have someone try resetting it with either VAG-COM or factory scan before running wires?

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
JASONP said:
What's this pedal/key thing you're talking about,is it like a reset for the TCM?
yeah, I forget the exact sequence but it's something like key on then press the pedal down and hold for 30 sec then key off or something like that. I've asked the same question so I KNOW that there are at least 2 or 3 threads that discuss it.

It's REALLY handy when my 01M gets that goofy "fuzzy logic" problem. I got stuck in first half way between Fairbanks and Anchorage once and this really saved me.

k_harley

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2005 Audi S4, 1997 Audi A4 Race car, 2004 Passat TDI 6MT 4motion
How's the fluid level? You'll need vag to check this properly. I think the trans temp needs to be between 30-40 c, then pull the plug and top off until it pours out on level ground.

Ive done the re-learn on gassers a bunch of times after a trans replacement, dead battery, new throttle body, etc. It will clear up a lot of shifting problems, especially late shifts. On a gasser it either measuring block 98 on the older ones or 60 on the newer ones.

The turn the key / hold the pedal method is the same as above, though in my experience, it doesnt always work. You also wont know if there is another problem without hooking up vag-com. The autozone scanner isnt going to pick up all the codes that vag will.

You could also go to the coding feature and switch to forced economy mode. I think its 00011, sport is 00001 iirc, and factory is 00000. This can also be a good fix to the problematic late shifting of the 01M.

You really need vag-com to get to the bottom of the problem.

Damaged wires are also a common cause, definetly look at that.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
k_harley said:
The turn the key / hold the pedal method is the same as above, though in my experience, it doesnt always work.
I did have to make 3 or 4 attempts at it before it took. Not a problem since, though. (knock on wood.)

JB JETTA

Update - I took the car to AutoZone and cleared the codes (they let me do that as long as I pushed the buttons) and the car is back to normal. It did have one new code, which I could assume could be a result of the new part/confusion, and that was "Incorrect Gear/Ratio." So far, so good. So, for now, I hope my wiring is OK and it was actually a faulty sensor.

Thanks to everyone for their input!

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
JB JETTA said:
Update - I took the car to AutoZone and cleared the codes (they let me do that as long as I pushed the buttons) and the car is back to normal. It did have one new code, which I could assume could be a result of the new part/confusion, and that was "Incorrect Gear/Ratio." So far, so good. So, for now, I hope my wiring is OK and it was actually a faulty sensor.

Thanks to everyone for their input!
You should probably think about buying a vag-com cable when the opportunity presents itself.

k_harley

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2005 Audi S4, 1997 Audi A4 Race car, 2004 Passat TDI 6MT 4motion
When was the last time you did a fluid / filter service?

The solenoids can get jammed up with crap over time and not get full hydraulic pressure delaying shifts. They can also leak around the edges giving the same effect.