ALH M-TDI conversion

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Hey all, I've been doing a ton of reading about how to convert a 1.9 TDI to manual, and I've found a lot of very helpful information. One thing I was hoping I could get some clarification for though is the pump for the ALH. I see info for the AHU all day long, but only a few for the ALH.

So, correct me if I'm wrong please! From what I understand, the VE pump from the Land rover is a direct bolt on for he ALH, minus having to drill and retap holes from 8mm to 10mm, and the ALH timing pulley fits on it as well.

I've also found two different part numbers for that pump, one being ERR4419 and the other ERR4046. Are these both essentially the same pump? Is this the correct one I'm looking for?

I do know I need to switch to a wastegated turbo.

This is an engine build I'm trying to do for a Samurai, trying to get something a tad bit more reliable than the stock 1.3L, but don't need to do any crazy power mods. Mostly just a regular driver with stock lift/tire sizes.

damac

Veteran Member
TDI
none
i'm doing the same into mk2 golf i plan on driving a long time. since i got a spot to work on my cars i am sad to say here i am 9 months later and still no end in sight. before i started i blindly thought lots of swap threads would have all my answers and i could simply buy off the shelf parts but it hasn't been that easy for me. i have no clue how all the technical stuff works so im sure that is part of it.

after way too much reading and some nice and some not so nice people answering questions i finally decided to pull the trigger based on recommendations and am basically leaving the motor alone to start except get a HE200WG turbo and got a 300 rover pump from a used runner from somebody on uk ebay.

i was told i need to intercool so i got a sp automotive intercooler/radiator combo kit and plan to keep the ac condensor in front of it. i have a feeling on mine i will mess with fueling and injectors after i get the darn thing on the road :) im reaching the final stretch on mine, waiting on turbo. then make exhaust, etc. and start it up. the chasis and all bits will be refreshed and ready to go.

i got an extra hub and new bolts from an alh from somebody on ebay. i got a nylon insert for the timing hole on the housing so it would match with drill bit size people talk about fitting so you can time with alh hub and centering it, since the hole is bigger on the rover pump.

i had to use a dial gage to try and find the right position for the rear side top delivery valve at tdc and went with figure on gage to max people suggested when i was searching. sorry i can't remember figure right now i think it was 1.54?

this allows you to try and mount the hub correctly to give you the right timing tooth on belt and room to mess with timing using the alh hub. it has 3 bolts to sprocket so you can move it around.

somebody suggested tapping the holes on the rover pump body since the alh bolt setup to mount don't work. thats what i did, worked like butter with cutting oil and mounted just fine.

i have various rear mount bolt plates that allow me to fit that last mounting bolt. im actually mocking up my accelerator lever and it looks like my stock car one will work. i will probably take a 1.6 plate and then another plate to give some meat to bolt/weld bracket and support from my 1.6 to hold the cable dorrectly and allow me to fit my cable through at correct angle between some lever on front side of pump that some don't seem to have.

my alh came from a 2000 jetta with manual tranny, i didn't need to machine any bracket or anything, timing cover seems to fit.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
i'm doing the same into mk2 golf i plan on driving a long time. since i got a spot to work on my cars i am sad to say here i am 9 months later and still no end in sight. before i started i blindly thought lots of swap threads would have all my answers and i could simply buy off the shelf parts but it hasn't been that easy for me. i have no clue how all the technical stuff works so im sure that is part of it.

after way too much reading and some nice and some not so nice people answering questions i finally decided to pull the trigger based on recommendations and am basically leaving the motor alone to start except get a HE200WG turbo and got a 300 rover pump from a used runner from somebody on uk ebay.

i was told i need to intercool so i got a sp automotive intercooler/radiator combo kit and plan to keep the ac condensor in front of it. i have a feeling on mine i will mess with fueling and injectors after i get the darn thing on the road :) im reaching the final stretch on mine, waiting on turbo. then make exhaust, etc. and start it up. the chasis and all bits will be refreshed and ready to go.

i got an extra hub and new bolts from an alh from somebody on ebay. i got a nylon insert for the timing hole on the housing so it would match with drill bit size people talk about fitting so you can time with alh hub and centering it, since the hole is bigger on the rover pump.

i had to use a dial gage to try and find the right position for the rear side top delivery valve at tdc and went with figure on gage to max people suggested when i was searching. sorry i can't remember figure right now i think it was 1.54?

this allows you to try and mount the hub correctly to give you the right timing tooth on belt and room to mess with timing using the alh hub. it has 3 bolts to sprocket so you can move it around.

somebody suggested tapping the holes on the rover pump body since the alh bolt setup to mount don't work. thats what i did, worked like butter with cutting oil and mounted just fine.

i have various rear mount bolt plates that allow me to fit that last mounting bolt. im actually mocking up my accelerator lever and it looks like my stock car one will work. i will probably take a 1.6 plate and then another plate to give some meat to bolt/weld bracket and support from my 1.6 to hold the cable dorrectly and allow me to fit my cable through at correct angle between some lever on front side of pump that some don't seem to have.

my alh came from a 2000 jetta with manual tranny, i didn't need to machine any bracket or anything, timing cover seems to fit.
My ALH came from a 2003 Jetta, finally got the engine on a stand, I'm going to have a lot to go through on it. Glad I finally got a straight answer about the pump, seems like the AHU is a more popular engine for some reason. Thank you for the help!

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
I have the ERR4046 on my AHU. That version of the pump came in markets where EGR was required. I'd guess the other p/n you have is for the non-EGR version, though there's also another pump that came on automatic transmission vehicles which you DON'T want, it is an electronic pump like the one the ALH came with.

Timing for the ERR4046 should be about 1.45mm.

In addition to the mount bolts etc mentioned above you'll want to swap the delivery valves from the ALH pump on to the Rover pump. VW delivery valves are shorter than the Rover ones. If you don't swap them you'll have to bend the injector lines to fit which may result in a cracked line down the road.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk