Programming for manual transmission

AllenAlic

TDI
05 Passat TDI Wagon
Anyone located near Nw Indiana, Chicago area that has the ability to reprogram the computers for a manual conversion?

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
If you are talking for the ECU to be changed to a manual configuration, then typically a tuner like Malone, Kerma, TDTuning will need to do that. I have used TDTuning for all my conversions but they are all good.

If you are talking about just getting the ABS to talk to the ECU after a ECU flash then that is simple soft code programming.

AllenAlic

TDI
05 Passat TDI Wagon
If you are talking for the ECU to be changed to a manual configuration, then typically a tuner like Malone, Kerma, TDTuning will need to do that. I have used TDTuning for all my conversions but they are all good.

If you are talking about just getting the ABS to talk to the ECU after a ECU flash then that is simple soft code programming.

I guess I need someone with a Vagcom to do the codes for the abs. I'm guessing a dealer could do this also, not sure. Malone looks like it has the auto manual tune.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Dealer cannot help on the flash for the auto to manual. They also will not touch the ABS programming as it is not stock. They WILL however flash over the tune you have if you take it to them after you go through Malone or another tuner. Never let them mess with the ECU after you have it flashed.

AllenAlic

TDI
05 Passat TDI Wagon
Dealer cannot help on the flash for the auto to manual. They also will not touch the ABS programming as it is not stock. They WILL however flash over the tune you have if you take it to them after you go through Malone or another tuner. Never let them mess with the ECU after you have it flashed.

Rodger that, thanks for the advice? Do I need Vagcom to implement the Malone tune?

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
VCDS won't work, you will need an ECU flashing tool rather than a diagnostic tool. Can also ship the ECU into us directly if you'd prefer, and we do have a fair number of distributors around your area.

AllenAlic

TDI
05 Passat TDI Wagon
VCDS won't work, you will need an ECU flashing tool rather than a diagnostic tool. Can also ship the ECU into us directly if you'd prefer, and we do have a fair number of distributors around your area.

Shipping it to you seems the best option. Thanks for your reply, I will browse your website and contact you through there. Do I still need to use Vagcom to address the ABS system?

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
You or someone will yes as well as to clear codes.

simonbee

TDI
2005 Passat 2L TDI
I just went to the process. You need a to flash the ECU and reprogram it for a manual transmission. You also need a VCDS once the new software is installe to change the codes from auto to manual and get the the ABS and cruise control working. I used Malone, I rented a FLASHZILLA 2 from them and I already had a VCDS,wagcom. I also added a stage 1 tune at the same time. It was not cheep but I was happy with the outcome. The new tune came via email and was fairly easy to install.

AllenAlic

TDI
05 Passat TDI Wagon
I just went to the process. You need a to flash the ECU and reprogram it for a manual transmission. You also need a VCDS once the new software is installe to change the codes from auto to manual and get the the ABS and cruise control working. I used Malone, I rented a FLASHZILLA 2 from them and I already had a VCDS,wagcom. I also added a stage 1 tune at the same time. It was not cheep but I was happy with the outcome. The new tune came via email and was fairly easy to install.

Sending the ecu to Malone this week and will be going with a stage 1 tune. Purchased a vag com from Ross. What trans did you put in? How's the stage 1 tune? Mpg increase?

simonbee

TDI
2005 Passat 2L TDI
I installed a FHN transmission with a SBend Stage 3 daily ($$$) clutch and a LUK DMF flywheel. The Malone stage one produces about 30 FT Lb of additional torque and it is noticeable. I am not in the smoking tire business or fogging up the neighborhood with black smoke. My interest is longevity. MPG did improve about 4-5 MPG.
How far along are you in the swap? Not sure if you have purchase a transmission yet I cruised Ebay Deutchlang (I read and speak fluent german) and noticed a GGB trany for sale for about $500 shipped to the US. FHN and GGB are the same.

AllenAlic

TDI
05 Passat TDI Wagon
I installed a FHN transmission with a SBend Stage 3 daily ($$$) clutch and a LUK DMF flywheel. The Malone stage one produces about 30 FT Lb of additional torque and it is noticeable. I am not in the smoking tire business or fogging up the neighborhood with black smoke. My interest is longevity. MPG did improve about 4-5 MPG.
How far along are you in the swap? Not sure if you have purchase a transmission yet I cruised Ebay Deutchlang (I read and speak fluent german) and noticed a GGB trany for sale for about $500 shipped to the US. FHN and GGB are the same.
I have the trans from Dutch already, hopefully have the auto out this weekend. Waiting for the rest of the parts from Dutch. Ecu out for flash, VCDS on hand, new rear seal and oil coming today along with the pilot bearing. Going to tackle the wiring if parts don't show instead of waiting around.
This is my daily so not looking to smoke the tires, jut some extra passing power and an increase in mileage, I'm steady at 35mpg with the auto.