Oil Pump

Squibals

TDI
2002 jetta tdi 1.9
So I broke my oil pan by sliding into a drainage ditch. It was smashed into the chain/sprocket of the oil pump. When I took the oil pan off the pump looked ok. I'm stupid. Put the new pan on and started the car....... Tempt light came on immediately. My understanding is that to change the chain, tensioner, and pump you have to expose the timing belt. Is there an easier way. How would you guys start from easiest/cheapest??

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Did you put oil in the pan?

A temperature gauge would not indicate low oil pressure. Are you sure it was the temp gauge?

You don't need to remove the timing belt to replace the oil pump, but since you are there you should consider changing the chain and tensioner.

Last edited:

hughesjasonk

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta MK4;
to replace the chain the crankshaft seal housing has to come off. expect to replace the sprocket as well

Squibals

TDI
2002 jetta tdi 1.9
The red thermometer light with the wavy lines came on. I pulled the oil cap and saw smoke. Definitely had oil. Thanks gents.

Squibals

TDI
2002 jetta tdi 1.9
One thing i forgot to mention. When I started it. The banjo bolt for the turbo wasn't tight and it leaked oil. If the oil pump wasn't pumping would that turbo oil line still be leaking??

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The temp light and the oil pressure light have nothing to do with one another. So I am confused as to your issue.

Is the coolant full in the bottle?

Is the crankcase full of oil?

I have seen people crash cars hard enough to break the block, break off a chunk of the water jacket, and the coolant comes out.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
That is the coolant light.

So I ask again, is the coolant full (in between the lines) in the bottle?

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Alright that is a temperature issue, should be independent of oil. Have you monitored your engine temps on your gauge?

Could be caused by a T-stat stuck closed, water pump not circulating (impeller spinning on shaft), bad temp sensor, low coolant etc...

Do you get cabin heat?

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
When the engine is cold does the light come on a few seconds after starting the car?
If so is the coolant bottle full?? (already asked twice, we can not see it :) )
There is a sensor in the bottle that could turn that light on.
Did you loose coolant and put water in?

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
This is an end view of the ALH engine which should give you an idea of what needs to be removed to access the Oil pump, chain, etc.

Squibals

TDI
2002 jetta tdi 1.9
So because of being able to see the oil pump sprocket seeing that light freaked me out and I immediately thought oil pump. It actually was the sensor in the coolant bottle....... I'm a novice.... But while I have you guys here..... If you slid into a drainage ditch and the connection between the shifter and the cables disconnect. What would be the effect?? I think it's called the linkage.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I'm a novice.... But while I have you guys here..... If you slid into a drainage ditch and the connection between the shifter and the cables disconnect. What would be the effect?? I think it's called the linkage.
It's a learning curve for sure.
You'll get there. :)

If a cable disconnects you wont be able to shift or only have 2 gears available depending on which one came off.