92 4Runner V6 ALH Swap

alphawerks

Veteran Member
TDI
many
Yeah the starters are interchangeable in their mounting flange. IIRC the auto has a 1.4 kw and a 1.7 kw option. The manual is only 1.4 kw. They have the same flange, just the 1.7 is maybe an inch longer. I used my 1.4 kw manual starter till it got tired and then put in the 1.7 kw 'cold weather' starter. I think it was only $15 difference.
Both started the truck fine at -30 not plugged in.

Ryan

davidm2232

Veteran Member
TDI
92 4Runner-ALH Swap In Progress
Got the mounts ground down and welded. Don't have pictures of the welded assembly but here it is in the yota with clamps. Diff clearance is good. I also built the mount so that I can raise or lower the motor with washers if needed.

davidm2232

Veteran Member
TDI
Just heard back from Jeff at Acme regarding the dowel pin. Apparently there was a run of Toyota transmissions that had the different sized dowel pin hole. He says he has 5 different Toyota bell housings and they all fit fine. He is going to note in the kit instructions to measure the dowel pin holes and drill out if needed. Hoping to get my 11mm pump and engine rebuilt this weekend. Clutch is here so it may be moving by Sunday night! Still not sure what do do for a turbo. Will be getting a 3.4 cold weather starter over the weekend and will look at clearance with a stock vnt15.

davidm2232

Veteran Member
TDI
It Runs!!

Progress has been a little slow. Have been waiting on parts and was sick all last week. Still got a lot done though. Engine is back together with a complete rebuild. Did some light porting on the head when it was apart. I decided to go with Integrated Engineering bigger rods and a 1 hole headgasket for high compression. Got the S7 turbo fitted on. At first I was getting no firing and no smoke. Turns out I missed the power wire to the quantity adjuster. Put 12v to that and she fired right up!! Next on the list is cooling system. I started piecing random hoses I had laying around. I have a list of parts I need to make it work so should be well on my way after that. I think I'm going to use a radiator from an 86 jetta. It should fit nicely.

Rebuilt engine ready to go back in for hopefully the last time

New SBC Stage 2 Endurance

davidm2232

Veteran Member
TDI
Installed new slave cylinder and bled the clutch. I was able to drive it up and down the driveway!! Major feeling of accomplishment there! Still need to finish up wiring, cooling system and then do all the charge piping, intercooler, and exhaust. Here is some wiring for the dash:
CEL
121 pin ecm....pin 24 (Need to put in spare wire from another pin)
Tach Wire
green/brown @pin 27 of 121.
Glow Plug Light
pin 40 of 121

I found a tach wire near the ECU from the A/C Amplifier. I confirmed I get a pulsed 12v+ from the ECU and that the signal is going to the toyota cluster. The tach does not move at all though. Any ideas?

I found the wire for the Rear Anti-Lock indicator in the rear abs connector under the dash behind the glovebox. Wired that to pin 40 of the ECU and it works great as a glow plug light. It flashes when the engine is running, I think from no brake light input. Not exactly sure what it is expecting for a signal. Is it supposed to be hot when the brakes are on and then grounded through the brake lights or...?

CEL goes from pin 24. I had to pull the connector apart at the ecu and move an unused wire to pin 24. I then had to wire it through a transistor to get the right signal to the cluster. It was a purple wire in one of the old ECU plugs that went to the CEL on the dash. I followed http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=352982 thread for the transistor. Used a NPN from Radioshack with a 5.6K resistor. Works great! I'll get more pics of everything tonight. Tonight's plans are to finish and fill the cooling system and start on vacuum lines. Also need to measure for an intercooler and charge piping kit.

Last edited:

davidm2232

Veteran Member
TDI
Got the cooling system buttoned up last night. It isn't the prettiest and I might change my mind about a few things, but it is complete so I am able to move on. Here are some pics:

davidm2232

Veteran Member
TDI
Got the power steering all set and finished filling the cooling system. Took the truck around the block. Drives good. Intercooler and piping are on order. Any recommendations on an air filter? A cone filter would be pretty easy but I'm worried about the MAF. Also, what are everyone's thoughts on putting the MAF right before the intake mani? It is 2.5" diameter which would fit in the charge piping nicely.

On another note, went to the DMV this morning and registered the Runner in my name. All I had to do for the conversion was check the diesel box instead of gas and they had me write "Changed engine" under changes. No pics, no questions, nothing. So easy!

Next on the list will be cleaning up wiring while waiting on intercooler plumbing. I still can't get the tach to work. I turned the potentiometer all the way each way and still nothing. I guess I'll have to dig into the wiring some more to make sure it is getting power, ground, etc.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
nice work.... curious as to why you went with a thinner gasket ... higher compression does not neccessarily equate to better performance except maybe starting performance ... the HG thickness is mainly to keep the pistons away from the cylinder head at full OT ... as far as air cleaners i'm about to replace my open cone with a 5.0 explorer airbox... plenty big and aftermarket synthetic non oiled filters are available

davidm2232

Veteran Member
TDI
Higher compression is mainly for starting. I need it to start reliably at -15 with no block heater. I've seen a few TDIs with decked blocks that start amazingly and get good MPG also. I would really like to sneak the stock airbox in there but it is starting to get tight with all the cooling system lines. We shall see.

Hasenwerk

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
Nice looking swap and I do like your fabrication skills! You are right, it isn't sexy powder coating blah blah but it is certainly going to hold up to anything you will dish out to it!

As for starting TDIs in cold weather. I have started both PD and VE pump TDIs in -30C and colder with no block heaters. A good battery and good glow plugs is all that is needed.

A good block heater is the old Coleman catalytic bee-hive heater. I used these on my Vanagons when it was -30 something and after 15 minutes of this sitting under the engine they fired up with ease!

davidm2232

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, put the plates on it last night and took it for a drive. Made about a 4 mile loop. No charge piping, maf, or map so it was really slow but it drove awesome. VERY minimal vibrations. Those Passat mounts do their job for sure! Pretty loud though, running open exhaust off the turbo and no EGR block-off so that is open as well. It should be a lot better once I get an exhaust fabbed up. Heat came up pretty quick too so that is good. Need to finish wiring this weekend while i'm waiting for the intercooler to arrive. We are so close!!!

davidm2232

Veteran Member
TDI
Didn't get too much done over the weekend. Had to work on my buddy's Jeep and then had another guy borrow my garage to put an alternator in his Jetta. I did get about 20 miles on the swap so far. Intercooler is supposed to be here Wednesday so I can start with that when it gets here. I did manage to get the plow mounted and wired. Let me say that a 4runner is a huge difference than a full size Jeep. I have pretty terrible tires (read bald haha) but the difference in weight for pushing power is amazing. Snow tires are definitely on the list. I picked up some exhaust parts also so I'll get a start on that tonight. I am getting Code 18048 Internal Control Module: EEPROM Error and a flashing glow plug light. ECU seems to work fine though. Any ideas?

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
well you're not running a MAP sensor right now correct? i mean I wouldn't worry too much about codes just yet until you have everything completely buttoned up to a truly driveable level

davidm2232

Veteran Member
TDI
Very true. Map is plugged in but not mounted. Same goes for MAF. I've just never seen that code before. I'm thinking whoever did the Immo delete before I got it may have messed up the flash in some way. I might try to reflash it with another ECU of the same part #. I guess I'll focus on exhaust for the time being and hope it goes away. I keep forgetting to mention it but great idea with the heater, Hasenwerk. I really like that. As long as you can keep the wind away that would work perfect.

davidm2232

Veteran Member
TDI
Got the IC, MAP, and charge piping on last night. Only made it about 500 ft down the road and blew one of the boost pipes off. Looks like I may need to invest in some better hose clamps haha. I am getting a code for MAF open or short to ground. I'm going to check the wiring tonight. Anyone know if I can cut the plug off and add some more wire? I want to extend it to the other side of the engine bay and possibly run a stock TDI airbox. I'll try to get some pics tonight. Phone battery won't last through the day so it's always dead!

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Awesome, love it when a plan comes together.

Why did you put the rad so close to the engine? Are you running a/c?

davidm2232

Veteran Member
TDI
MAJOR progress made over the weekend. I had the BW S7 turbo on the engine and realized there is just no way the exhaust was going to clear the turbo. What to do in that situation? Go bigger!! Got a used 2260 and made an adapter from a 1.6td manifold. My friend made the adpater flange and did a bunch of porting. We got the turbo on and plumbed it. Ran it with a stock tune and injectors. It was pretty laggy but still driveable. I put about 30 miles on that setup. I put in some Race 520 stage 2 injectors. That made it even quicker. I hooked up my boost and EGT gauges. Then I started tuning. Wrote a quick tune in about 10 minutes for more N75 duty cycle, 25 psi boost, and a bit more fuel. This was the first tune I ever wrote and it worked pretty well. Very fast but smokey and laggy. I have since written a few more tunes and cleared up a lot of smoke and much less lag. Whoever says the 2260 is too large for an ALH is very wrong. Even with a stock tune it works okay. Now, it's just an animal. I will be making fine adjustments to the tune to clear up smoke, etc. There doesn't seem to be too much on here about tuning. Any ideas what I should look out for? I'm not sure what to shoot for for EGTs. I'm running about 600 cruising, 900 on hills and 1200 on long wide open runs. I want to make a tow tune pretty soon. What would be best for that? Lots of boost to keep EGTs down is what I'm thinking. Here's some pictures:

1.6TD manifold. We covered it with paint marker then pressed it on a piece of cardboard to get a template

Glowshift EGT probe

Welding up the adapter

Completed 2260 flange. I have been told this will bolt up to a 2056 and a 1756 if I want to change turbos in the future.

Porting the 1.6TD flange
The most important part of the project; TDI Badging!!

That's the right front wheel. The exhaust dumps out right there for the time being. I need to order a 2260 downpipe flange and start working on an exhaust.

The turbo is pretty exposed in the wheel well. Do I need to worry about snow/water getting on the hot turbo? I don't think there is anything protecting a stock Jetta turbo but they are tucked behind the engine. I would thing they still get quite wet when going through deep water at speed though.

davidm2232

Veteran Member
TDI
Runner 4 Sale

Unfortunately, I got in an accident and rolled my Runner last night. Body is totaled but drive train is good. TDI still starts and runs fine. I am looking for another shell to put the TDI swap in but I don't really have the funds to continue right now. If there is any interest in the drive train, I will sell the whole thing for what I have in the swap. If anyone is interested, make me an offer and we can go from there.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Sorry to hear that, :(

davidm2232

Veteran Member
TDI
Wow. A lot has happened since the last update! I found a new shell in the fall of last year and swapped the drivetrain into that. Cleaned up a few things and put a few thousand miles on it. This April, I went down to a car show and ended up melting my clutch putting on a smoke show (horrible idea, I know lol). Truck was down all summer but just got it back together this weekend. South Bend really did me right and replaced the disk and pressure plate and resurfaced my ACME flywheel for $300 including shipping. Clutch actually feels really good, better than the old one. Decided to a a partial rebuild on the motor while it was out. Found a cracked #2 piston and the head was cracked around all the injectors. Could that be the 1870F Egts I saw when I was making a pass at WOT? Probably. Got another head and piston along with new rings and rod bearings. Topped it all off with a Colt Stage 3 Cam. It's running really nice and the cam definitely makes a noticeable difference. Also sourced a taller 5th gear from Japan to lower my highway RPMs from around 3k to 2200. EMP and intake air temp gauges were installed. From the looks of things I am seeing 220F+ iat so an intercooler is next on the list. I'll talk more about the EMPs as I work on the new tune and figure out how to interpret it. News on the tune is I now have IQ by MAP enabled so that is a plus. Pics to come when I have time. Glad to be back in a TDI!!

davidm2232

Veteran Member
TDI

Engine adapter/bell-housing alignment tool...
Long time since an update. I am back to running a factory Toyota radiator and Ford Taurus fan. Got a good front mount intercooler on it and the thing runs amazing.

The bad news is I just had another clutch failure. Pilot bushing was a bit egged out last I had it apart so I know my alignment is off and likely lead to clutch failure. Looks like it is time to hit up 89vr6 for that alignment tool and get this thing back on the road. Have a new plow setup for it as well that should work nicely. I'll have to snap some pics when I get a chance.

davidm2232

Veteran Member
TDI
What were the symptoms leading up to the clutch failure? (chatter,slippage.....???)
No chatter or slippage. Just a hellacious screeching noise whenever the clutch was pushed in then total lockup of the clutch. I'm assuming the disc came apart. Hopefully pulling the engine this week to investigate.

davidm2232

Veteran Member
TDI
Latest Update

Not sure if anyone is still following the thread, but I managed to lose a cylinder doing the Gambler 500 in Upstate NY in the fall. Still ran great on 3 cylinders but I decided to park it due to a pretty bad oil leak. Took the truck off the road and it's in 'time out' until I get a new engine and motivation to work on it. I just read through the whole build thread and I'm starting to get anxious to drive it again. Have a few projects coming through the garage then hopefully we can get it running again. I can't believe I have been in this over 4 years now!

Greenie3754

Veteran Member
TDI
1995 4Runner with 2003 ALH Engine
Starting my build thread for my ALH 4Runner swap. This will be a full electronic swap retaining the ECU, stock sensors, etc. I am building off several people's swaps so if you see some of your information, thank you and feel free to chime in. So far, the TDI has been pulled from a 2000 Jetta with a blow automatic. I have ordered the Acme Toyota V6 kit. The kit comes with a flywheel for the newer 3.4L V6 so the clutch will also be for that motor. I am looking at ~320 ft-lbs from the TDI by the time I'm done so am going with a Stage 2 Endurance clutch from Southbend. Clutch is rated at 400 ft-lb so we should be all set. Clutch part number: K16077-HD-TZ. Ordered a 2in body lift from 4crawler to help with clearance. Will also space up trans/tcase 2in.

I am also following Brantley Smith's build at http://tdi4runner.blogspot.com/ and will be using several of his ideas.
Motor mounts:

http://tdi4runner.blogspot.com/2012/11/engine-mount-for-tdi-is-done.html
He is using square tube to run across the frame rails. I plan on using heavy angle iron to make bolting in motor mounts easier. I will likley use square tube instead of round tube for the triangular portion of the mount as that is what I have.

I ordered the V6 passat mounts. I got 2 shipped for $40 off Ebay.
PN: 8D0199379K

I got the wiring diagrams cleaned up and will adapt them to my installation as I go. Here they are as of now:

I will be using the Toyota cluster as well as a few Aux gauges (Boost, EGT, etc)

I have a few questions:
Can I get an output from the ECU for GP Light, Tach, and CEL?

Will the toyota VSS signal work for ECU cruise?

Any recomendations on a turbo that will clear the starter? (I'm thinking 2260 or smaller with an ebay manifold)

My engine builder (2000jettatdifast) wants to deck the block and run higher compression for better cold starts and MPG. What are your thoughts? I plan on doing rings,bearings, upgraded rods, head studs. I need this thing to start at -20 without being plugged in. I was also thinking dual batteries if there is room.

I'll keep the updates coming as they happen. Might not get to pulling the v6 out of the 4runner until next week.

Some pics of the 4runner and TDI donor as well as wiring diagrams:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By2Xx3gX67sWVHhyQ0J3RFFDNmc/view?usp=sharing
Hi, is there any chance you still have your wiring info from this project and if so, would you be willing to share? I have an ALH engine physically in a '95 4Runner. I have a wiring harness for an ALH that was in a 4Runner, but even with that and notes, the more info the better. I am anxious to get rid of as much unnecessary wiring from the 4Runner as I can, but as of now, all wiring is in place. Happy to provide direct contact info if you prefer.

davidm2232

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi, is there any chance you still have your wiring info from this project and if so, would you be willing to share? I have an ALH engine physically in a '95 4Runner. I have a wiring harness for an ALH that was in a 4Runner, but even with that and notes, the more info the better. I am anxious to get rid of as much unnecessary wiring from the 4Runner as I can, but as of now, all wiring is in place. Happy to provide direct contact info if you prefer.
Sorry. Totally missed this. I don't have a whole lot of documentation. I kinda got everything together from a bunch of different sources.

davidm2232

Veteran Member
TDI
Engine was pulled last fall and torn apart. Cracked 2 pistons. Got a new block and did a full bottom end rebuild. Motor is back in and I have another 1000 miles on it or so. My next issue is rust. Body is getting bad and frame has some holes in a few areas. It may be time in a few years for a new chassis from down south. My daily driver, 2018 Cruze TD was at the dealer for 2 months waiting on warranty parts. The 4Runner was my go-to for most of that period and it did pretty decent Worked out a lot of the bugs. Just need to figure out heat and I again have the issue that the turbo actuator bracket vibrated and broke off. I'm going to get some new bolts and some aircraft wire to tie them tight. That should fix that permanently.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
I don't know how far south you want to come but a 2nd gen 4wd v6 slush box with bad trans just came across the local Craigslist near(around) upstate south Carolina. I don't know anything about the rig or seller. I've been looking for an r150f donor rig for a while and these don't come up often. He's asking 2k and the ad seems he's firm on price. I can pm you link if you'd like.

davidm2232

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't know how far south you want to come but a 2nd gen 4wd v6 slush box with bad trans just came across the local Craigslist near(around) upstate south Carolina. I don't know anything about the rig or seller. I've been looking for an r150f donor rig for a while and these don't come up often. He's asking 2k and the ad seems he's firm on price. I can pm you link if you'd like.
That's a little far for me and a little too expensive. I really want to put together a package deal. Rust free school bus, car trailer, and 4runner. Fly out to Nevada and stay with my cousin, put the deal together, then drive the whole setup back home