Coolant Tee Question

jmann8686

TDI
2005 Passat bsm delete
Well the time has come to change the coolant Tee. My tandum pump was replaced last year. I know I should have changed the coolant tee then but when the time came to do it the O ring for the temp sensor was not there nor did I think about it and never picked up coolant. And I needed my car up and running by Monday. So I had to pass on the job. Well i have a nice little leak coming from the tee now. and I have the parts needed on order. My question is do I need to pull the tandum pump off to replace the coolant tee. I figure the hoses need to come off. But I would rather not have to pull the pump off again. Any help would be great.

Also while I'm there with the coolant drained I was going to replace the thermostat as well. This last winter my car never got up to the 190-210 operating range when it was colder then say 40 degrees F. I was going to order the housing and the thermostat. Is anything else needed for that job.

Thanks

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
You would be best to replace the thermostat and the housing as a unit.

For the coolant manifold under the tandem pump, If I had to replace mine again, I would remove the tandem pump to gain access on a BHW.

I was lucky and changed mine with the transmission out, so the job was easy. If I needed to do it again, tranny in, I would re and re the tandem pump to gain access, as the gasket is cheap and the pump is not that hard to change out.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Ditto, I have done it both ways. it just isn't worth working around the TP.

I would also add that when I replace the coolant flange and the TP at the same time while in the car, after installing the flange, I will add some RTV on the top of the flange where it meets the block. This is only to help prevent fuel and or oil from seeping down to the o-ring, which in turn makes the 0-ring expand and crack the housing.

jmann8686

TDI
2005 Passat bsm delete
You would be best to replace the thermostat and the housing as a unit.

For the coolant manifold under the tandem pump, If I had to replace mine again, I would remove the tandem pump to gain access on a BHW.

I was lucky and changed mine with the transmission out, so the job was easy. If I needed to do it again, tranny in, I would re and re the tandem pump to gain access, as the gasket is cheap and the pump is not that hard to change out.
I have the housing and thermostat coming. I was going to replace both since I was going to be there.

Ditto, I have done it both ways. it just isn't worth working around the TP.

I would also add that when I replace the coolant flange and the TP at the same time while in the car, after installing the flange, I will add some RTV on the top of the flange where it meets the block. This is only to help prevent fuel and or oil from seeping down to the o-ring, which in turn makes the 0-ring expand and crack the housing.
The TP is only a year old. I hope it doesn't need to be replaced again. I have another gasket coming for it. I was just hoping I didn't have to take it off. But if it will make the job easier then off it will come. And thanks for the tip with the RTV on top of the coolant Tee. Thats a good idea.