What did you do to your car today?

bigkahuna360

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI, 2011 BMW 335d Stage 2
Just finished going over the wheels with meguires and now they'd brand new if it wasn't for a little bit of pitting and tar. Filled my tires to 90%. Shined up the interior with meguires interior protectant. Gotta say I'm completely satisfied. Tomorrows job: Oil change and car wash.
EDIT: Here's how today worked out. Hand washed and waxed.

Last edited:

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan 4-motion, Golf mk7
I was on a business trip and 300km from home someone told me that the back up lights on my Skoda were lit all the time so I removed them. Then the parking sensors and rear wiper went on and off so whilst driving in the rain I diagnosed it to be a faulty parking light switch.
At home I started looking for it and when I found it it was pretty clear that it was done, the plug had corroded and fell apart when I touched it.
Never seen that before!

New sensor ordered.

Then I decided to replace the rear brake discs and pads but couldn't get the caliper carrier bolts off. I need to find a lift so I can use a longer pipe on the breaker bar.
One of those days...
The sensor was replaced a few days after my post above, but the discs and pads didn't get replaced until today. Took a while to get those bloody bolts off.
I really can't see the need for the absurd torque on the caliper carrier bolts, has anyone ever heard of calipers falling off because they were attached with normal bolts and normal torque?

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
I really can't see the need for the absurd torque on the caliper carrier bolts, has anyone ever heard of calipers falling off because they were attached with normal bolts and normal torque?

I've seen the trailing end of a caliper come loose due to a sheared hardware store bolt. No idea on installed torque, I was the guy that fixed it not the guy that did it. It was on a late 90's accord in about 2001, the car got pads at a cheapO place and made strange noises about 2 weeks later.

flashmayo

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta - Gator Tuned
Replaced broken armrest on my mk4 with a new one from ebay. ($40 shipped)
Replaced rear brake pads after 150K miles. ($50)
Took it in for an alignment based on inside of pass rear tire ground off. Needed shims and $300 for alignment.
Bought 2 new Continental tires (TireRack). Installed same. ($36)
Removed door cards to attempt reupholster of failing cloth inserts. Gave up after 5 hours and about $40 in materials. Took to local upholstery shop. ($300 total)
Next is to reassemble door cards and reinstall. They look great. Upholsterer had to stitch together pieces to get them to form properly.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
On the 98 beetle:
Frankenbuilt lift kit
Bilstien HD shocks and struts
Ball joints
Wheel bearings
Tie rod ends
VR6 knuckles
312 front brake calipers and carriers
BFG All Terrain TA2 in 215/65R16
Yakima roof rack goes on today

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Golf is assembled finally and I dropped it at the detailer

Still a few things to do after the detail (and clear bra), but we're getting there.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
It is red. And that's before the detail. Very dusty inside, but drives nice. Still a few odds and ends to do after the clean up.

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
Changed the rear wheel bearings. Wow it's tolerable to drive now! Tomorrow it gets R32 spindles and control arms. Maybe I need to drive it more often, I spend way more time wrenching than driving with the MKIV.

I put some sound deadening in the hatch where I thought the Nissan Leaf was creaking, come to find out it's the tail light itself making the noise when it twist. I soaked silicone spray in the lens to housing area and the noise went away. I'd consider it to be its first "problem"; I've had it just north of 10,000 miles.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Removed the rear bumper cover and bumper off the Golf, in prep for the Bosal hitch I have arriving tomorrow. Broke a piece due to rust and have to drive to Austin to get a replacement (since I want the car reassembled tomorrow).

Also installed a backup camera on the license plate frame, but have yet to route the wiring and put in an appropriate headunit.

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
If you are installing a head unit and probably the camera you are installing is a composite video have you thought about the Enon Android based unit?

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
If you are installing a head unit and probably the camera you are installing is a composite video have you thought about the Enon Android based unit?
I haven't, because I haven't heard of it. My tuner suggested Joying, as a customer of his has that brand. I definitely want something Android, and ideally something I could root.

In keeping with this thread, I installed my Bosal hitch today, and then got a lot of crap from a friend who thinks I should take a loss and sell it, so he can fabricate something for me like someone else did in the upgrades section. Ugh...

On the plus side, I finally paid my dues and got a TDIclub contributor membership. Figured I should do my share, since this site has been very good to me these past 6 years.

tdismithville

TDI
2015 Golf TDI
I have an 06 Golf GLS TDI with 288000 kms on it. Last week I swapped out the stock cloth seats for a nice set of leather seats from an 01 Jetta vr6. Today I changed the air filter, rear license light module, and changed the manual transmission fluid. Yesterday I finally (after an 11 month ordeal) had the front fender replaced under the rust warranty. Tomorrow I'm putting on a new bug deflector to hide the stone chips on the hood. Going to look like a brand new car!

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver

Finally got a little extra storage space for the Jetta. Its a Thule Atlantis 1600XT.
Replaced the injection pump head seal last week which resolved an embarrassing fuel leak the car had developed.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
That was my BeetleGo! A white '98! JetPuff had a white '98 too. We checked VIN numbers and it was probably built the same day on the assembly line.

Nice car. I miss how easy it was to step in (with a top hat, if you want!)

How's the stability once your in the tent?

More pictures please!

Last edited:

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Tried to find out what causes the noise in the front end of the Skoda. It has the same subframe and suspension bits as the mk5 Golf. Strut mounts seem ok (on mk4 and older those were really easy to check, I liked that!), the top nuts were tight. Drop links are fine. No play anywhere when I rock the wheels.
LCA bushings seem a bit soft but aren't cracked.
Tightened quite a few of the subframe bolts, not only the large ones were loose but a bunch of the others aswell. Not impressed with that as it seems to be very common.
That didn't cure the clunking either...
Don't know that to check next, maybe the shocks are shot?

The sound is most noticeable when going slowly over pot holes or bumps. Not a "heavy" sound, more like a drop link clunk but they are ok. I drive a lot on logging roads so it gets on my nerves.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
Last seasons set of Toyo's on the back and a new pair of GSi's, pads & rotors on the front for the Jetta today.

Lets go skiing!!

DI fan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
I finally performed the hammer mod to set IQ instead of changing it with VCDS. Sooooooo easy!!! I don't know why I've never done it. After I reset the adaptation the the stock number I found I was at 2.8. I set it at 4.0 with hammer mod. Only very lite haze at WOT. I use to have a slightly dark cloud and didn't like to accelerate to hard with anyone behind me. Hopefully this will help my mileage get back into the 40's which has dropped off of over time.

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Last seasons set of Toyo's on the back and a new pair of GSi's, pads & rotors on the front for the Jetta today.

Lets go skiing!!
Yes, it's that time of year again, changed to winter tires on both cars. I have Gislaved Nordfrost 5 on the Golf and Goodyear IceArctic I believe on the Skoda. Both are studded.

PeeWee

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon, 97 Passat Sedan
Changed to winter tires yesterday on both the wagon and the Tig. 20 c today but winter is coming we had snow last week just 50 K north of here.

ToffeeTDI

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI S 6MT
Installed four OEM Stone Guards bought with dealer card. Also tried installing Enhanced Rearview mirror, but S model doesn't seem to have overhead console wiring needed for it (no sunroof).

djembeing

TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDi
new owner

Recently bought a 2000 Jetta with 277k. Over the past few weeks I've done a few things to it:
Car Wash then RainEx on the all windows. Hard to see bringin her home. Vacuumed foam off ceiling
New Battery (chasing a cold starting issue)
Reprogrammed stereo (kenwood)
pumped my first tank of diesel.
Struts, control arms, tie rod ends.
Alignment
Wipers
heated seat fuse
air filter
oil change
transmission fluid change
glow plugs (chasing cold start)
(taped up coolant GP harness)
fuel filter + diesel purge
greased door hinges
polished headlights
attempted to glue the armrest lid hinge. negative.

still to go:
muffler
replace vacuum lines and a few components
trace oil leak
clean intake
rear suspension
coolant and thermostat
replace headliner
repair/replace armrest lid
work out better cup holders.
sub woofer

timing belt at 300,000
clutch
5th gear conversion
re-tint
engine cover
paint hood
new shift knob
led headlights
led interior lights
VW center caps
roof rack
pedal covers
new horn
close case on cold start issue

These forums are a fantastic resource. Thanks. I'm really getting to know the car.

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Adjusted torsion value on the Golf, from -2.79 to -0.51.
Noticed that I had a dead glow plug and a 00924 fault code stored. Will adress those another day :)