Bang for your Buck

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Gotta love vague titles, makes me not want to offer help.

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
I like Bilstein TC myself. They're both good and inexpensive.

The strut springs are easily changed. The rears get compressed to remove them. If there's an easier way, I don't know it. I don't change shocks/springs often.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Bilstein TC "Sport" setting on our '01 Golf (my wife's daily driver) and even she noticed the difference.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
...and another vote for the TC sport.

I bought STR.T shocks for my mk4 and after 1.5 years the paint has peeled off really bad. They are actually rusting fast, much faster than the originals (Sachs) they replaced, not happy. Maybe I should contact IDparts, since they sold me those.

vondiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 jetta wagon auto , 2003 jetta wagon 5 speed manual
So I had the TC struts and rear shocks installed I didn't know the springs were separate finished So the garage picked up a set from Napa to install. After the install I picked up the car drove it about 10 mile. When all of a sudden it sounded like a flat tire in the rear. Got out checked, no flat. But it continued to make a vibrating arrhythmic thumping noise. So I limped it back to the shop and dropped it off . Nobody there till Monday. I took some pics because it looked like it was sitting really high in the frontend. Also I was wondering if the top mounts looked normal.

Last edited:

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
The springs rarely need replacement on these cars.

Someone screwed up installing them somewhere. Not good -- got the pictures?

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
That looks like a 3 inch lift kit was installed. I only did this one time, so I wonder if the springs are seated properly.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
Strut mount doesn't look bad, but like JB05 said, it looks really lifted to me.

vondiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
I ordered the struts from ID parts, the garage ordered the springs from Napa. I pulled my 2005 wagon side by side then 03 looked like it was lifted. Would this mess with the half shaft. Could that be the rumbling I hear.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
I would suggest that you ask some questions about those NAPA springs.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
The springs rarely need replacement on these cars.

Someone screwed up installing them somewhere. Not good -- got the pictures?
Not really true if you live in the rust belt...broken springs are super common on MK4s here. The coating starts to flake off and then they are on borrowed time.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Ah, the joy of living up in the salted-road rustbelt. I keep forgetting that after being here for what is now going on two decades :D

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Actually, I'm not so sure it is salt. Because nothing else on these cars around here does that. And it is usually just the bottom coil of the spring... in most cases, the driver is totally unaware that they are even broken.

It is the coating that they put on the spring, it starts to come off and allows moisture to get under it and hold against the metal. Fords do it, too.

I've seen broken rear springs on 2 year old Golfs/Jettas. That isn't salt.

vondiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
You will never guess ,the rear tire had loose lug nuts. They tightened them up and blamed it on the new guy. It drives awesome pot holes feel like little cracks in the road. It still sits a little high was wondering if it will come down after a while? I don't mind I am going to call I.d. parts and check with them ,the mounts were a little taller. The napa springs sit a smige taller also so the combination maybe?

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Maybe... I still wonder about the springs, but so long as you're not hitting the extension limit on the struts and your geometry is ok (check your alignment) it's all good.

vondiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
the springs used were ATM357498105AB the other option at Napa was 1J0498105 not Shure of the difference