www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old April 10th, 2020, 06:06   #16
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

I have a set of the General winter tires and they have been good for me so far, used several winters. But it is not driven a lot (extra car). And it is AWD, so its grip is better already (but with these on it, it is unstoppable).
Old April 10th, 2020, 06:26   #17
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

He has winter setups already. Looking for tires for the other three seasons.
Old April 10th, 2020, 07:26   #18
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2019 to end of April 2020

This website is what I based my choice for General Altimax RT 43 on.

Everyone has a different opinion on tires. The article rates the RT 43 just below Michelin.
All LED interior bulbs. Several VCDS mods. Darker window tint. EVO skid-plate. Malone Stage 2, Malone DSG tune. Winpower Projector headlights. Angel eyes. LED DRL's. 24mm H&R rear sway bar. Phase 1 & Phase 2 done.Scangauge II
Jetta_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2020, 08:28   #19
redbarron55
Veteran Member

I bought a 2012 Touareg TDI Exec from an independent dealer for a good price.
The car had 94K miles on it and had probably the cheapest tires that could be found on it (20" tires etc).
So far I have been relatively amazed with these Chinese (crap) tires.
They are Vercelli Strada IV 275-45-20 at $106.08 on amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Vercelli-Stra.../dp/B01HTW485E
I only have 25K miles on them so far, but they have been good normal use tires for me. We have towed our 16" Scamp from Florida to Big Sur in California and points in between.
However I don't punish tires or drive much over the speed limit and they may fall apart tomorrow, but so far so good.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2020, 16:52   #20
Rrusse11
Veteran Member

Seeing as how you already have a set of snows, I would first recommend
16" rims, and then get the General "Ultra Performance" AS-05.

I get about 40k or 2 years out of mine.
Soft, sticky and very good in the wet. Longevity, not so much, but as
Oilhammer so lucidly explains, you can't have everything.

I particularly appreciate that the Generals are light, having a thing about
unsprung weight from a handling point of view. You have a wide range of
tire options with 16", and I much prefer the ride vs 17".

My $.02

RC4: 11mm pump, 17/22, .230 nozzles, 3barMAP,EGR Delete, PD150Intake,SMIC,2.5" Exhaust: Koni Sp Reds, Wagon Springs, ~1"/2"lift:VR6 fr swaybar, Top strut & rear tie bar: 215/55ZR16 GMax AS05's, 10mm/20mm spacers, 35# @: skid plate: 02J, SBC2 End, .717 5th, Peloquin LSD, Fluidampr: TT Short Shifter: : VR6 fr, TT rr Brks: Catchcan
Rrusse11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2020, 17:20   #21
Drclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
I bought a 2012 Touareg TDI Exec from an independent dealer for a good price.
The car had 94K miles on it and had probably the cheapest tires that could be found on it (20" tires etc).
So far I have been relatively amazed with these Chinese (crap) tires.
They are Vercelli Strada IV 275-45-20 at $106.08 on amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Vercelli-Stra.../dp/B01HTW485E
I only have 25K miles on them so far, but they have been good normal use tires for me. We have towed our 16" Scamp from Florida to Big Sur in California and points in between.
However I don't punish tires or drive much over the speed limit and they may fall apart tomorrow, but so far so good.
Thanks for the info. Would love to tow a small trailer with my JSW, partially why I lifted it and put the forklift 2" receiver on. What's the towing specs on a toureg?
Drclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2020, 18:40   #22
nayr
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2014 Audi Q7

Tregs can pull 7700lbs heh, I tossed the 20in wheels off my Q7 pretty much instantly, then put 17's on it and it rides so much better and tires are so much cheaper, I can run high end name brand shoes for just a little more than those chinese 20s, and with real truck tires ive got half the life left at 45k miles.

Dropping wheel size and increasing tire size often opens up more options, while providing more ride comfort and less costs.. big wheel fad is silly and expensive, top shelf tires for my 20in wheels cost $1200+ and last ~20k miles.. top shelf tires for my 17in wheels cost <$800 and last ~90k miles, there were 10x more options to chose from, plus it rides better than ever while being severe snow rated all year long.

Last edited by nayr; April 12th, 2020 at 18:43.
nayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2020, 05:54   #23
redbarron55
Veteran Member

Lifting the car to tow is not a help for stability.
The higher tire section will give a softer ride and cheaper tires, but the sidewall flex doe affect stability to some extend, but probably not enough to make any real difference.
The Touareg tows beautifully and is the best tow vehicle I have ever used.
I don't know anything about the forklift hitch you mentioned, but my 2012 TDI had the towing package and I added a Redarc brake controller for the brakes on the Scamp.
I have used the Redarc and the Prodigy P3 and while the Redarc makes a neater installation the P3 works better and gives smoother braking action.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2020, 17:56   #24
Drclaw

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the general RT43. 215/50/17. I think 215/55/17 will be a little tight and don't want to risk it. Thanks everyone!
Drclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2020, 19:05   #25
Rrusse11
Veteran Member

"Dropping wheel size and increasing tire size often opens up more options, while providing more ride comfort and less costs.."

My thoughts exactly.
RC4: 11mm pump, 17/22, .230 nozzles, 3barMAP,EGR Delete, PD150Intake,SMIC,2.5" Exhaust: Koni Sp Reds, Wagon Springs, ~1"/2"lift:VR6 fr swaybar, Top strut & rear tie bar: 215/55ZR16 GMax AS05's, 10mm/20mm spacers, 35# @: skid plate: 02J, SBC2 End, .717 5th, Peloquin LSD, Fluidampr: TT Short Shifter: : VR6 fr, TT rr Brks: Catchcan
Rrusse11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2020, 04:06   #26
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drclaw View Post
Thanks for all the feedback. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the general RT43. 215/50/17. I think 215/55/17 will be a little tight and don't want to risk it. Thanks everyone!

We sell truckloads of RT43s here, they are a good all around tire. We really do not get any complaints about them, and sell them again when they are worn out.
Old April 20th, 2020, 20:17   #27
crustodd

Smile Best Winter Tire

i'll chime in. I put a set of Champiro Icepro 205/55 16's on my 2011 JSW at the end of 2018. I've run them since. I have about 35K on them. They are a studable tire I chose to run without studs. They are noisy, as you'd expect, but they grip great here in the variable Oregon weather, they still have about another 10k of tread life left on them, and they've always balance well and worn very evenly. My JSW has the Kerma ecu and DSG tunes and the tires have their work cut out for them. I don't abuse the extra grunt of the tune, but I definitely make use of it leaving lights quickly, and cornering enthusiastically These were inexpensive rubber, about $375 for the set mounted and balanced. I never expected them to wear so well. They are a directional pattern too, so they are limited on their rotation abilities. A surprisingly good tire and pretty dang grippy in the dry and wet conditions we can get in a days time here in the Willamette Valley
crustodd is offline   Reply With Quote