Official towing capacity for 2011 Jetta TDI DSG?

mtdoragary

TDI
A3
My brother replaced his diesel Chevy truck with a 2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI DSG. He's worried that towing a Class I trailer will void his warranty. He has talked to the dealership until he's blue in the face, but can't get any definitive word on towing capacity. It's in black and white for the manual transmission but nowhere for the DSG. Seems starnge to me, since my owners manual for my Audi A3 TDI states that I must adhere to Class I or Class II limits. His manual says under no circumstances can he install a Class II hitch.?!?!?
All he wants to do is tow a small trailer with drums in it, but he doesn't want to risk voiding his warranty... HELP!

vw_leadfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagen
I will see if I can do a quick summary. Only Class 1 is made for the JSW in North America basically due to the fact of the attachment method to the vehicle. Very Close to Class 2 and you'll need to look at Euro hitches like Westfalia, Bosal, Brink, Oris, etc.... All which will be 50mm balls (~2").

A class one will not void your warranty here especially as there is a section in the manual on towing. Damn even my V6 4Mo didn't have that.

The vehicle can easily pull over 3000 lbs but if you venture this route I would highly suggest a brake controller too. A small utility trailer with drums will not be an issue!! JSW hitches in North America tend to hang very low and many have break over angle issues.

The warranty issue is interesting however as VW will not install hitches for you. In Europe they do, and they install Westfalia. This is what I have on my car....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

windaddiction

TDI
2011 Golf wagon
How about where to buy a hitch for a 2011 wagon, and how hard is it to install. I just sold my truck to get one of these and still need a trailer for house maintenance.

vw_leadfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagen
I have fully documented my westfalia install...click the link in my signature. If you opt for a NA model, I would get a CURT from a local place or e-trailer.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gumaku1

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Sportwagen TDI - DSG
If you read the owners manual for the 2010 JSW, it will show you the towing capacity. The 6MT and the DSG has the same tow ratings. Both will have 200lb vertical tounge loads and 1000lbs towing capacity. The bummer is that VW does not sell an OEM hitch in the USA.

glennco

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW DSG
It should be noted that if you get in an accident towing more than the stated towing capacity, insurance doesn't have to cover any damage.

I

ihatespeed

I have a curt hitch and a rance 5x8 aluminum trailer, the jsw pulls and more importantly stops with 2 full size cruisers on the trailer quite well, I figure the highest I have ventured is ~1700 pounds.
mileage is beat down to low thirties.
the jsw actually feels much more stable than pulling 10000 pound boats with a quad cab diesel f350, and thats well within its (the 350's) rating.

looking at the spec for euro vw's the tow rating is quite a bit better, some thing like 1500lbs without brakes and 3000 with, so i suspect we are getting the lawyered up version. as long as you don't violate the class 1 hitch rating of 200lbs tongue and 2000lbs trailer you should be good.

I do have firestone coilrite air bags in the back, so I'm sure that helps.
just take it easy, drive slow and leave plenty of reaction time.

My dealer told me a hitch would not violate waranty as long as the recomendations in the maniual were followed, its been in a few times with it and they have not said anything.

BenVC

TDI
2011 JSW TDI DSG Toffee Brown
I emailed the parts guy at my dealership to get a quote for installing a 1 1/4" hitch. Went like this:

Me: "How much would it cost to install a 1 1/4" trailer hitch for a bike rack? (i.e. not a tow ball)."

VW parts guy: "VW DOES NOT RECOMMEND TOWING WITH THE SPORTWAGEN SO THEY DO NOT OFFER A TRAILER HITCH."

This does not inspire confidence. When I get home I'm going to respond with citations of the pages in the manual where it goes into detail about proper trailer setup, driving with a trailer, the trailer wiring link, etc.

BenVC

TDI
2011 JSW TDI DSG Toffee Brown
Wait, what? The parts guy at the dealer forwarded me this response he got from VWoA:

Sent: Friday, January 07, 2011 3:30 PM
To: CH - Bob <name redacted>
Subject: RE: 402134 - TRAILER HITCH

Good Day Bob,
Volkswagen Group of America does not recommend towing with the Jetta
Sportwagen, and therefore we do not offer a tow hitch for this model.

Thank you,
Volkswagen Accessories

--

I wouldn't have this guy install a hitch now anyway, but it's still troubling that this guy hasn't even read the manual. Maybe the dealer parts guy and whoever answered the email at VWoA are just a couple of duds.

Last edited:
I

ihatespeed

looking at the UK golf estate with a 2.0 tdi (140ps, same spec as us) best I can tell the same as our sportwagen the website lists towing limits at 75kgs tongue and ~1500kgs gross trailer. and a looks like westfalia tow hitch and electronics module are an option at time of purchase, albiet about $1200.

Even with a less technologically advanced mount solution like a $150 curt/ drawtite, I'm sure you can tow 1500 pounds with little worry, dealership / us vag just does not want to get involved. Besides, since the owners manual does list a trailering capacity, I'd say you're covered. My civic on the other hand said trailer not recommended right in the literature.

sceptick

TDI
2011 Golf
How about where to buy a hitch for a 2011 wagon, and how hard is it to install. I just sold my truck to get one of these and still need a trailer for house maintenance.
I just ordered a hitch and roof rack for a 2011 Golf TDI that I bought this week. http://www.etrailer.com/

I've got a Thule roof rack and a Curt hitch (no wiring harness) on the way.

No drilling for the hitch, it bolts on with existing bolts and/or holes. Apparently no bumper removal either. Wiring harness available but I don't want if for my infrequent small trailer use.

I

ihatespeed

suit yourself..

.......Wiring harness available but I don't want if for my infrequent small trailer use.

The electronics are really quite simple to hook up, and they are cheap. as far as I know even trailers that don't require licensing Ie fixed equipment like compressors require a minimum lighting solution.. Brake turn and tail. for the extra hour it might take you, I'd have the option. Besides, you might want to rent a trailer somewhere wile out on travels, they won't let you off the lot with out lights.

Heaven helps you if some jackass slams into your unlit trailer and their insurance finds out you did not even have a light hookup..

You can get a converter at nearly any auto parts store with a tow section.

Aw crap, sprained my ankle climbing off my soapbox..

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Towing without lights is dangerous and just plain stupid. That is all.

spfracerny

TDI
2009 jetta sportwagon
ive bught a hitch and im haveing trouble finding the wiring kit for it people keep telling me the wiring kits that tap in to the factory wires will cause a short in my harness have any of u guys heard this. :( desperate for info i just order the curts wiring kit on from etrail.com any info on that too

IFRCFI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Lux

Highline Driver

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline Sedan
Wait, what? The parts guy at the dealer forwarded me this response he got from VWoA:
Sent: Friday, January 07, 2011 3:30 PM
To: CH - Bob <name redacted>
Subject: RE: 402134 - TRAILER HITCH
Good Day Bob,
Volkswagen Group of America does not recommend towing with the Jetta
Sportwagen, and therefore we do not offer a tow hitch for this model.
Thank you,
Volkswagen Accessories
--
I wouldn't have this guy install a hitch now anyway, but it's still troubling that this guy hasn't even read the manual. Maybe the dealer parts guy and whoever answered the email at VWoA are just a couple of duds.
This my conversation with VW Canada: No reply from them since May 28th when I wrote this:
Hi K,
While I understand Volkswagen's desire to reduce the liability with respect to this topic the fact that my owner's manual says Canada Edition on the cover seems to imply that the contents of the manual should be relied upon by the owner. Therefore there is an implied warranty that the car is fit for that purpose. The only way that could be shifted back to the consumer is by a specific mention in the manual that towing of any kind is not recommended. A prohibition on towing is not mentioned in the Canadian Warranty and Maintenance booklet either.
The dealer that I purchased the vehicle from didn't tell me not to install a hitch and if anyone should be in a position to inform the consumer it should be the dealer. In fact I happen to know that the dealer sends that sort of work out to a local automobile service facility on a regular basis. So you can see why I'm confused. It's not like I'm going to be towing a huge travel trailer or a boat. I am planning to use a small utility trailer a couple of times a year to pick up items from the garden store (that won't fit in the trunk) and perhaps to add a bike rack.
Is there going to be a revised addition of this manual or a recall notice that addresses this issue? Or can someone tell me how something that apparently can damage my vehicle ended up in the Canadian version of its owner's manual? If I hadn't asked, and I'm sure that many others haven't (judging by the Jettas the dealership sends to the previously mentioned facility), how could I be expected to know that it wasn't advisable?
Please forgive my persistence on the issue. I am just seeking clarity.
Thank you,
Mike
On May 27, 2011, at 8:14 AM, VW Canada Customer Care wrote:
Dear Mr. Mike,
Once again thank you for contacting Volkswagen Canada Customer Care with your concerns regarding towing capacity and our 2011 Volkswagen Jetta TDI. Volkswagen Canada would like to apologize for the delay in response.
At this time the vehicle’s owner’s manual is not vehicle specific it is for all Volkswagen Jetta models including the European models. The YouTube commercials in which you have seen are based upon our European models which are provided with a towing capacity as it was manufactured to tow. The Westphalia is also a European model which yes has been provided with a OEM as it was manufactured with a towing capacity.
Volkswagen Canada apologizes a more favorable response could not be provided. Once again thank you for contacting Volkswagen Canada Customer Care. Should you have further questions or concerns please contact us via phone at 1.800.DRIVE.VW or visit our website at www.vw.ca.
Sincerely,
KH
Volkswagen Canada Customer Care
<image001.jpg>
Sent: Wednesday, May 25, 2011 7:48 PM
To: VW Canada Customer Care
Subject: Re: Volkswagen Canada - General Inquiry
Thank you K,
I am curious as to why if the vehicle wasn't meant to tow anything there would be an entire section on towing in the owner's manual, along with ratings and capacities for the gasoline powered versions of this year's model of Jetta.
I only plan to tow a small yard trailer from time to time, not a boat or a travel trailer. I have even seen a video of a 2011 Volkswagen Jetta on YouTube towing a U-Haul moving trailer that was supposedly a VW team testing it. And in Europe Westfalia makes OEM hitches for it.
Can you please explain the reason for the towing section in the manual if it wasn't meant to be there?
Thanks,
Mike
On May 25, 2011, at 11:01 AM, VW Canada Customer Care wrote:
Dear Mr. Mike,
Thank you for contacting Volkswagen Canada Customer Care with your inquiry regarding the towing capacity of the New 2011 Volkswagen Jetta TDI. At this time this vehicle has not been given a towing capacity as it was not manufactured for towing use. The only vehicle that is currently manufactured by Volkswagen with a towing capacity is the Volkswagen Tiguan.
The reason behind this is should you use the vehicle for towing purposes and a problem is to arise due to towing this could void the New Vehicle Limited Warranty or the particular part warranty. I apologize I could not provide a more favorable response at this time.
Once again thank you for contacting Volkswagen Canada Customer Care, should you have any further questions or concerns please don’t hesitate to contact us via our website at www.VW.ca or via phone at 1.800.822.8987.
Sincerely,
KH
Volkswagen Canada Customer Care
<image001.jpg>
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, May 22, 2011 3:00 PM
To: VW Canada Customer Care
Subject: Volkswagen Canada - General Inquiry
Title : Mr.
First name : Mike
Relationship to owner : self
Model : TDI Clean Diesel
VIN (17 characters) :
Kilometres : 8000
Volkswagen dealer name : Arrow Motors
Type of inquiry : inquiry
Subject heading : Towing Capacity
Message (maximum 2000 characters) : Hello. In the owners manual for my
2011 Jetta it says that the towing capacity for the TDI with DSG auto
transmission had not been determined at the time of printing.
Has this been determined? Is there a second version of this manual where
I can view this information?
Thank you,
Mike

joesmoe3

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
Installed the hitch -- help with connecting the wiring ???

My Jetta has a build date of Feb 2011, it arrived at the dealer in May, and I took delivery at the end of June. The owner's manual has two supplements. One I don't understand why it is in there. The other has the towing information missing from the original printing.

I purchased a Class I Hidden Hitch and had it on physically within an hour. Details matter, and the kit included a special pull wire and "coat hanger" attached nut for making two connections on the passenger side rail, inside the rail. Took a little finagling -- I can share what I did if anyone is interested.

So, the hitch is on, and I purchased with the hitch a wiring kit (2 parts) from etrailer.com.

The instructions that accompany the wiring kit are so generic, I'm reluctant to dive in and start poking wires to find the right tap points. The instructions with the hitch have this cryptic statement:

"Wiring access: PC 3&4"

That's it.

Might someone here have successfully tapped the lights, and run a power wire up front to the batter, and share your experience ?

AFTiggerIntel

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS
There isn't a need to run the power from the battery. You can tap into it from the rear auxiliary port in the trunk area which is the standard install method for almost any hitch shop, including U-Haul, for vehicles with this available. There is a wiring post on the forums, http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=182410, but since I did not do the install myself, I am not sure if the colors are the same on the JSW.

I have a Curt hitch on mine from Council Hitch in Council Bluffs, Iowa. The towing limit is 2,000lbs with 200lb tongue weight.

Joesmoe3, the "coat hanger" attached nut you describe is the fishwire used to guide the carriage bolts into the holes already placed in the frame at factory. These are common "tools" used to install just about any hitch. I know, I watched my twin install several hitches at U-Haul and had to help a couple of times. The instructions on the Curt website (linked above) are detailed enough to show the fishwire technique.

dimonic

TDI
2011 Golf Wagon
Curt trailer hitch experience

I had a problem using the Thule rear-door bike rack, as the door fits so close that every time I open the lift-gate it grinds the paint off, so I decided to get a trailer hitch and a hitch-bike rack.

I ordered online from hitchsource.com - and received a Curt - and it was about 150. I installed it in about an hour - the only tricky part was the insulation above the exhaust would slip around making it hard to line up the holes. The fish-wires etc were surprisingly easy on the passenger side. I didn't buy silicon sealer right away, so I had to undo the bolt into the wheel well and retighten it after applying the sealer.

I now carry two bikes on my hitch. There is an issue with this - the hitch attachment bumps the ground on road-humps (sleeping policemen). I believe I can drill a new hole in the hitch-sleeve which will allow the rackto be about 2" closer to the bumber, reducing the overhang at the back which in turn should reduce the chance of scraping on bumps.

I haven't tried a trailer yet.

Last edited:

cmrn

TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I tow a variety of things with my golf tdi and the only issues I ever have are fron uhaul complaining that my car(and thus hitch) is too low to tow or the sut on my cargo(and due to this forum I cannot explain that one).

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

vw_leadfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagen
...I now carry two bikes on my hitch. There is an issue with this - the hitch attachment bumps the ground on road-humps (sleeping policemen). I believe I can drill a new hole in the hitch-sleeve which will allow the rackto be about 2" closer to the bumber, reducing the overhang at the back which in turn should reduce the chance of scraping on bumps.

I haven't tried a trailer yet.
With the Westfalia I have never had this issue....

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I just ordered a hitch and roof rack for a 2011 Golf TDI that I bought this week. http://www.etrailer.com/
No drilling for the hitch, it bolts on with existing bolts and/or holes. Apparently no bumper removal either. Wiring harness available but I don't want if for my infrequent small trailer use.
You also may want to add at least a brake light to a. Ike hitch rack, especially if the bikes cover the cars rear lights. When I get my hitch rack, i'll pay for a light attachment.

I had uhaul install the hitch but they did not have the correct wringing harness so I installed that myself. It was a pita and I would pay to have it done next time.

Last edited:

Saiga542

TDI

Thanks for the lead, that looks like a great deal for a hitch and their lighting module is going to come in handy as well. The wife and I are thinking of building a modified tear drop trailer and this information you provided about e-trailer is really helpful. So was the information about tow weights by the other posters on this thread!

I don't come here often, but when I do the information that's available makes this sight an awsome one.

mwrluthier

TDI
2013 TDI Sportwagon
I got my hitch from U-Haul. It was one of the most complete (albeit somewhat complicated) installations I have encountered. I've done about 5 or 6 hitch installs to date. I'm absolutely livid that they would build a car with this kind of towing capacity, and then create a transmission that will not pull a small trailer. Even my Toyota Matrix was rated to pull 1500 pounds!!!

The only reason I bought the DSG is that I am waiting for a kidney transplant, and needed one of my cars to be an automatic. Up until this point, I was really liking this car

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
It's not the car, it's the regulators. Same car in Europe is rated to tow 1.5 tonnes or 3300 pounds.

vw_leadfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagen
I got my hitch from U-Haul. It was one of the most complete (albeit somewhat complicated) installations I have encountered. I've done about 5 or 6 hitch installs to date. I'm absolutely livid that they would build a car with this kind of towing capacity, and then create a transmission that will not pull a small trailer. Even my Toyota Matrix was rated to pull 1500 pounds!!!
The only reason I bought the DSG is that I am waiting for a kidney transplant, and needed one of my cars to be an automatic. Up until this point, I was really liking this car
I have towed 3000 pounds with my DSG...no issues what so ever other than traction being an FWD only...