Towing with a 2010 or 2011 Jetta TDI Wagon

llscholes

TDI
2005 Passat TDI Wagon
Hi,

My husband and I are on the hunt for a smaller vintage Airstream--20 foot, 3000 pounds--and I've seen on some other forums that people are able to tow these with a Jetta or Passat TDI wagon. Wanted to get input from all of the TDI gurus here on what you think. I know the Toureg TDI would be ideal, but it's not in our budget (because of buying the Airstream!). Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
There have been a couple threads just like yours answered this week. I suggest you start searching on towing.

Short answer is that a 20 ft trailer is too long for your TDI. Heck, the touareg clubs recommends no longer than 25 ft for a touareg.

That 20 ft airstream is going to have probably a 400 lbs tongue weight, maybe more when the propane bottles are filled. Thats way over the max tongue weight for even the euro hitches.

If you're not even going to consider a euro hitch then forget about it. Start searching, good luck, and let us know what you decide.

nchapman

Veteran Member
TDI
7.3L PSD 6sp
Sounds like a bad idea IMO
Too many people already are a danger on the road by towing heavy loads in the wrong vehicle.

Quanger

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 ALH TDi
I suggest the biggest trailer you can safely tow would be something like a Trillium 4500. Anything larger would be a bit dangerous.

Just make sure if you do purchase one or something similar, that you fit it with trailer brakes.

llscholes

TDI
2005 Passat TDI Wagon
Thanks for the replies everyone. And yes, I know I asked a similar question last week, but it was more about Jetta vs. Passat, not about towing. I wanted to get opinion on towing specifically with Jetta, but it seems it's not a good idea. Thanks again for all of your input.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
a smaller vintage Airstream--20 foot, 3000 pounds
So, the trailer alone is 3k? How much weight would you be adding for 'everythign else' that you would be taking.

There is a thread around here somewhere that has pictures of what poeple have towed and there is some absurd stuff in there. Is it humanly possible for a jetta to pull that much? Probably. Is it smart or safe? Probably not.