My new Passat 2.0 TDI 140 cr

mickyTDI

Veteran Member
So i picked it up last Wednesday and done 300 miles and i have to say i really like this car, it really is a good car.

I ordered a Comfortline in Island Grey pearl which in the flesh is a nice colour. It's a 2.0 TDI 140 CR ( not for long
) Factory options i specced were xenons with the LED daylight running lights with LED rears. Sport suspension which is a big difference. I'm surprised how well the car handles given it's size. I got parking sensors, folding mirrors and the TPMS

Standard stuff seems generous these days, comes with Bluetooth, auto wipers and lights, auto dimming mirror and drivers side mirror with puddle lights, cruise, MSFW, colur screen on dash. Extra wood and brushed alu around the doors and vent controls light up like the old Euro Bora's

Last edited:

JdC Machine

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SEL
Good looking Passat! You guys in the European and those in the Chinese market have it easy getting the Bi-Xenon headlights with LED daytime running lights and LED taillights straight from the factory. Hopefully, VWoA catches on to the demand and makes them available to us here in the states.

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
Man! The euro passat is a real beauty ! Way to rub it in to those of us in the North America who get the gimped version .... Congrats on the sweet ride :)

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
If you want the unique look of the North American headlamps I'd sacrifice and swap with you to help out a poor European club member. ;)

(Yes, I realize the NMS and B7 are different cars. Stand down, humor police.)

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
2012 NMS TDI SEL Platinum Gray w/moonrock
How about some pictures of your rear lights so we can compare function and lighting? With parking lights on, brake lights on, etc.....thanks!

mickyTDI

Veteran Member
Thanks for the comments lads, will take a photo of the rear LED's when it gets darker. I have noticed the number plate lights are LED as standard now.
The LED rears are actualy part of the option pack when you spec xenons. You can't get them with regualr headlights in Ireland.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Congrats on being the first B7 owner on TDIClub! That's pretty cool. :D

mickyTDI

Veteran Member
My rear factory LED's with number late LED's

Photo of my 2.0 TDI engine without the cover, does it look similiar to the US 2.0? Apparently the euro 140 engine is the same internally as the Golf GTD 170 engine but with a slightly smaller turbo..

VeeDubTDI

TDI
OK. That's the CKRA without the air-to-water intercooler, I believe. Not sure what else is different. Early documentation for the NMS Passat specs the CFFB engine, but it changed to the CKRA just before production started (presumably to fix the intercooler icing problems that we're seeing in parts of the US).

Can you confirm that your engine does not have an air-to-water intercooler?

mickyTDI

Veteran Member
Not sure how to tell if it has that air water IC? My car was built in Germany last month and came with the CFFB engine so they still make the CFFB. That CKRA doesn't seem to be an engine spec in Europe anyway. The 3 diesel engines for the Passat over here are the 1.6 TDI (CAYC) 2.0 TDI 140 ( CFFB) and the 2.0 TDI 170 ( CFGB).

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Right - the CKRA is the US version (called the NMS, whereas the European version is the B7) of the CFFB.

mafrif

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI 6MT
Stupid question for you. Is the gearshift pattern opposite as well? Where is 1st gear, all the way to the right?

mickyTDI

Veteran Member
My first mod arrived today. The GTD CR 170 turbo, slightly used. Seems to be a fairly direct fit. My euro CR 140 is lucky enough to be fitted with the detuned GTD CR 170 engine ( Same injectors and internals) but turbo is a different part number. However some tuners claim they are the same turbo but not so sure anyway i got this to be certain... part number for this one is 03L 253 010 F

phlfly

Banned
TDI
Passat SEL

1. about the engine. The only difference I see it's some kind black plastic intake at front of the engine and some metal pipe connected to this intake on left side of the engine.

2. It's going very interesting to see how is going work out for you a bigger turbo, if any lug acceleration will be there. Please report.

My rear factory LED's with number late LED's

Photo of my 2.0 TDI engine without the cover, does it look similiar to the US 2.0? Apparently the euro 140 engine is the same internally as the Golf GTD 170 engine but with a slightly smaller turbo..

Right - the CKRA is the US version (called the NMS, whereas the European version is the B7) of the CFFB.
My first mod arrived today. The GTD CR 170 turbo, slightly used. Seems to be a fairly direct fit. My euro CR 140 is lucky enough to be fitted with the detuned GTD CR 170 engine ( Same injectors and internals) but turbo is a different part number. However some tuners claim they are the same turbo but not so sure anyway i got this to be certain... part number for this one is 03L 253 010 F

mickyTDI

Veteran Member
I should have it up and running in the next few weeks. I don't expect miracles with this turbo but should have a reliable 205-210 ish bhp as opposed to 175 ish with the original turbo, got the turbo cheap with very little use so said what the hell....

phlfly

Banned
TDI
Passat SEL
I should have it up and running in the next few weeks. I don't expect miracles with this turbo but should have a reliable 205-210 ish bhp as opposed to 175 ish with the original turbo, got the turbo cheap with very little use so said what the hell....
Do you have to reprogram ECU for more HP and Torque?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Cool stuff... looking forward to reading about how this turns out. :cool:

mickyTDI

Veteran Member
Dpf coming off tomorrow to empty it's innards :p. Also the 170 CR turbo is being fitted tomorrow. Hoping to get it mapped, probably be days before i get it mapped and dyno'ed. Watch this space :D

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
Dpf coming off tomorrow to empty it's innards :p. Also the 170 CR turbo is being fitted tomorrow. Hoping to get it mapped, probably be days before i get it mapped and dyno'ed. Watch this space :D
Uggh! I thought Europeans understood good citizenship and respecting the air we all breath. So much for the myth that Europeans are any better than those in the USA.

I am now unimpressed and uninterested. ANYONE can get more power and torque if they gut the systems.

I can only respect someone who achieves it within the confines of the current rules and doesn't need to change the rules to do better. That shows really quality.

Last edited:

mickyTDI

Veteran Member
Don't worry, the little 2.0 CR engine will be quite smoke free when mapped, especially when compared to those trucks i see on the I95 over there,,not to mention the gas guzzling SUV's too ;-), i'm quite sure my actions tomorrow on my little diesel won't end the world ;-)