Class action lawsuit settlement

acolabrese

TDI
2000 Jetta
Water ingress problem? Please help!

Recently I received a notice of settlement for water ingress.

United States District Court, District of New Jersey:
John Dewey, Jacqueline Delguercio, et al. v. Volkswagen of America, Inc et al. Case Nos. 07-CV-2249-FSH-PS and 07-CV-2361-FSH-PS

Interestingly enough, my car has the very same problem mentioned in this lawsuit. My problem is, I never had it repaired as the problem didn't prevent itself until after the cutoff date of May 7, 2010. So I don't qualify for reimbursement for a repair I never had preformed.

So, does anyone know exactly how to fix the water ingress problem? The issue listed, involves the sunroof drain system and or plenum drain system. Water soaks my passenger compartment floor almost every time it rains. It comes in right behind the glove-box where the carpet meets the bottom of the dash, just right of the center console.

How do I go about repairing this issue without going to a dealer? Does a recall exist for this repair? Suggestions on how to fix it myself would be helpful as the VW dealers in this city are horrible! New York City, need I say more.

Last edited:

acolabrese

TDI
2000 Jetta
read the post

Mine is about a leak, not a spoiler. Did you read what I wrote, or did you just dismiss it as old hat?

Captain Morgan

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI
Mine is about a leak, not a spoiler. Did you read what I wrote, or did you just dismiss it as old hat?
nope, your title didn't lead me to believe there was anything worth reading.

Apparently you felt the same way "Title was too vague and not on point "

good luck.

FloridaMutt

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 GL Manual Jetta Wagon
IIRC the issue had to do with easily clogged sunroof drains. Do a search on the forum, I remember it being discussed some time ago.

My wife's wagon had it and was taken care of at the dealer.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
I thought all problems with water in the mk4 was from sunroofs. I don't have any problem with water but I once, while fixing my wiper linkage, left the car without the valance on a rainy night and sure enough the pass side carpet had a nice pool of water. I even cover the cabin filter knowing that something like that would happen but still I got plenty of water in.
My point is, why don't you make sure that valance is in good shape, no cracks, well installed etc?

acolabrese

TDI
2000 Jetta
I had the wind shield replaced a while ago. The valance keeps popping up from time to time as a result. I clean out the sunroof drains from time to time too. Did a little research on the sunroof drains, don't think I'm affected by that issue. It usually leaks during a heavy wind & rain event. It's hard to work on the car here without someone coming up and asking for money or trying to rob you of tools. We're not in Kansas anymore here baby.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Not sure if it's applicable but search on here or Vortex for water issues with the Passat B5.5. There is an issue with the drains under the valance getting plugged up and the water then draining into the passenger compartment rather than under the engine. It might be a similar problem.

My water issues were resolved by my daughter realizing that rain won't enter the car if the window is up.

ant13

TDI
bora 130 tdi
I think it might be a seal around the cabin/ pollen filter need to remove said filyer and holder and seal around the hole common problem in the uk failing that i am also led to belive the seal around the window mechanism also leaks hope this helps

powerfool

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore
So, you had the windshield replaced and the valance has been messed up since... I don't think that you would have qualified if you would have done it before the cutoff... because it doesn't sound like the same issue. It sounds like someone did a bad job replacing your windshield and screwed up your valance.