The 1998 B5 Passat TDI (one of 2 stateside?)

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I understand the urge to do the EGR delete, but one of the alluring aspects to this car is it's rarity. I would use a blocking gasket and leave everything in place.

Leaving a car like this as stock looking as possible would be my goal...

sirpuddingfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat, 05 Jetta
Wow, a lot of people seem to be speaking up about why it's bad for Jon to change anything on this car from stock (should he even withhold the ventectomy?). Having been in this car and having seen the condition it's in, there won't be much "original" left. That value is gone. Frankly, it's a 12 year old B5 Passat with 140k that has seen better days (to say the least). It's only cool factor is the fact that it has the AHH engine and the one-off transmission that mates to it, oh, and that stubby passenger mirror. To get this thing back in running condition is going to take a lot of work. The interior is done, gone, kaput. The body is, well, it's still together (mostly, and who knows what has or hasn't been replaced already), but it's not pretty (take a look at the pictures of the back left fender). The actual value in "originality" of the car is completely lost, except perhaps as a rotting piece in the fictional VW of America Museum, or as a bondo special.

I realize that to a surprising number of you I may be speaking heresy when I say that as "neat" as it would be to have an original and stock vehicle in mint condition, this just isn't a realistic ... or even worthwhile example. Beyond that, it's not as if this is 1 of 2 in the world. It was a production piece in Europe. When rehabilitating a car, there are two frames of mind, stock, and custom. Well, Jon is a little closer to the custom side and it's his car (my dad is a stock Corvair guy). But hey, even one of our trusted TDI mechanics said he'd have just dropped the engine and drivetrain into one of his vehicles. So perhaps we should be thankful that Jon 1: likes the B5 Sedan, 2: Likes the Emerald Green (can't say it's my idea of great, and it really could use a paint job), and 3: is extremely thorough in his research. Who blames Jon for not liking the tan interior? I have it on my 2000 Golf and it's nasty. Somehow that tan color makes everything show up, and there's no way of cleaning it. That whole interior needs to go (with few exceptions), so if he wants the leather GLX interior, I say go for it; VW should have done it.

Frankly, I think it's awesome that Jon is documenting a small portion of his research (and trust me, I know how small this portion is, I have miles of chat logs and links already), and the last thing I want to do is have Jon get discouraged about bringing this car some glory in a community of people who can actually appreciate the vehicle (unlike the previous owners as is quite obvious from its current state).

So please, as much as you want to beg him not to do something for the sake of maintaining "original" or "stock", just consider it a bonus that this car didn't end up in the crusher or dismembered or otherwise.

Now, if this were my project, I sure as hell would love some research help (does anyone have ETKA access for part number cross referencing?) and to tap the vast storehouse of knowledge in this community to deal with the immensely frustrating task of trying to find--let alone get--the right parts, and to keep whatever mods Jon does decide to do from blowing up that engine.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Thanks sirpf,

Windex, that's kind of my feeling on the subject too, keeping the car stock and original would be awesome, but its just not gonna happen with all the stuff I need to replace to make me comfortable with it. The only part of the interior that I might keep is the dash, rear right door inside panel, and the rear seat back, that's if I find the tan interior for it.

I've been getting some ETKA help from greengeeker.

Thanks,
Jon

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
On my B5 project I found that door panel's leather inserts can be swapped and look great:

I used JB weld to attached the new insert to the door panel. The two tone looks great.

As for modding a "rare" car, I say do what you have to to be able to preserve/enjoy the car. I have had the opportunity to help with a friend build his Rallye Golf and its so more enjoyable now that it has the proper power levels (VRT).

Last edited:

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
At first, I thought that its funky looking, but its growing on me quick.

Out of curiosity, what did you pay for the seats and where did you find them?
I've seen a full set of black up for $500 but that's about all I've seen so far.

Thanks,
Jon

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
I can't recal the price. It was north of $350 (maybe $500) I can't recall but I got a lot of stuff from the guy: Heat seat switches with all pigtails (so I can build my own heated seat harness), door panels, Front and rear seats, floor mats, trunk carpet, Glove box, misc trim panels, seat slider plastic.

Here is the first car that I did the two tone look with:

The picture is my wife's old jetta less then 2 weeks after we bought it. I happened upon a 2003 jetta in the JY with only 4k miles and these black leather seats. I got the seats for $350 (WOW) and the 17" wheels for $350 (wow)

I say all that to say that there are good deals out there in surprising places.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Oh and Corrado guys have been taking tan interiors and swapping in black carpet and seats for a long time. It looks pretty good when compared to tan seats and carpet that have a lot of wear and tear.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Here is the before picture of the Passat:

It was a $600 car that needed a motor. I have redone just about everything on it so if you need any assistance just let me know.

You might want to consider 16" wheels off a mk5 or mk6 and then you can upgrade to 12.3" brakes.

Bilstien HDs and the stock springs when combined with a rear sway bar make the car handle really well.

The Control arms are garbage and expensive to replace but need to be done.

Check out club B5 on passatworld.com for DIY help.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Looks good.

I can't imagine that I'll need the 12" brakes, I would like 16" or 17" wheels, I might upgrade my other passat and pass the 16" wheels onto the TDI.

I've got a box of control arms for my 2000 GLX, not looking forward to that project, I'm waiting to get the TDI going so I have a backup ride thats not a crappy truck.

Thanks,
Jon

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I picked up some cheapie winter wheels/tires today from craigslist that I need to even out with my FWD TDI for my 4motion :D Wheres my chip when I need it?
They didn't come with the centering rings, gotta pick up a set tomorrow after work, hopefully discount tire has them. Anyone know of any other local places that would have them? I need 57.1 and 66.6mm center rings. Tires are Hanook on 16" 5 spoke silver rims. I will post pics when I get them mounted up.

Jon

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I sent this to greengeeker and I thought it is something interesting about the AHH engine.

I just got my Haynes manual from UK and I'm reading it. Something caught my eye that I thought I'd ask, it says

"On engine code AHH, the bolts securing the injection pump sprocket to the hub must be renewed every time they are loosened so obtain three new bolts before commencing the refitting procedure. The bolts are made of stretch-type requiring angle-tightening and it is for this reason they cannot be re-used once loosened. VW state that the pump sprocket must be reset each time the timing belt is removed = it is not acceptable to simply refit the belt to the sprocket without carrying out the resetting procedure."
under the refitting section, it describes the above again.

Not being all that familiar with this engine, it looks like of the engines shown in this european Haynes manual, its the only one that has that, I wonder if they are the same as on an ALH? OEM part number: N-903-285-04 / N90328504

Jon

Last edited:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Sounds just like the early ALH, which used stretch bolts on that pulley too. You can replace them with non stretch bolts (I had that done on my car).

-J

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
the nut on the tensioner is a stretch type. and should be replaced every time you fit a timing belt. same with the lower small roller nut, and the large lower roller bolt (on an ALH) not sure if your engine has the large lower roller, or the intermediate shaft pulley.

if it has the IS pulley, be careful and DO NOT lose the wodruff key on it.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Thanks, thats what I'm looking for. Hopefully I can go into my local metric auto parts(specialize in imports) and ask for the nut and bolts and be good to go.
The items in the timing setup CCW are the crank pulley, intermediate shaft pulley, IP pulley, small idler, cam pulley, then tensioner and back to the crank.

Jon

Last edited:

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
New wheels installed. Someone thought 200ft-lbs was a good torque for the wheel bolts...
I torqued these properly.

Jon

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
Those wheels are NOICE! good find.

and you forgot to mention the Injection Pump (only the most important part...) in your bet routing between the intermediate shaft and the small roller.. :)

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Thanks, they look nice but they're really cheap wheels. I paid 350 for the whole set. Tread is good, .275, .275 on the left and .350 front right and .250 rear right(they were opposite on a FWD car I assume). Hopefully I can wear them all into about .250" area before I put them onto my 4motion (winter tires).

Fixed the routing :)

Jon

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Against my better judgment(needs timing job), I took the TDI for a spin to a friends place. its about a 24 mile trip each way, taking it easy(not ridiculous) I was able to pull off 53.4MPG on the way home, through two cities, probably 3/4 hwy miles.

Just thought I had to report these results :)
I think I could get 55+ on a longer 55-60mph trip.

I also found that 3 of my 4 glow plugs are bad.. high or infinite resistance.

Jon

Last edited:

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Compu 85, do you know what the part number for the non stretch bolts are?

This page says that the tensioner stud is also a stretch bolt, is that correct?
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a4/ALH-engine-timing-belt-replacement-VW-Golf-TDI-2.htm
Can you quote the section where it says this?

the nut on the tensioner is a stretch type.
Are you thinking of a PD tensioner nut? Bentley says the torque is a straight 20Nm for ahu/1z/alh and does not state "always replace." :confused:

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Can you quote the section where it says this?

Are you thinking of a PD tensioner nut? Bentley says the torque is a straight 20Nm for ahu/1z/alh and does not state "always replace." :confused:

Reading it again, the stretch bolt is for the large roller.

Thanks,
Jon

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
parts parts parts

Nick, do you have any old tensioners to compare mine to? Mine is 028109243K and looks identical to 028109243F from pics.

Jon

jpcallmotor

TDI
VOLVO 850 GLT
Timing belt jobs are cake on the B5's. I did one on my previous B5 Audi A4 1.8T and it went very smooth.

To properly ID the engine code and standard options, look in the back trunk beneath the trunk mat on the right hand side there is a white sticker with all the info you need. It lists color code, engine/trans code, options codes.

Last edited:

Kriesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
To properly ID the engine code and standard options, look in the back trunk beneath the trunk mat on the right hand side there is a white sticker with all the info you need. It lists color code, engine/trans code, options codes.
I looked in the trunk, saw nothing with any information. I went to Schmells on 36 and they tried to look it up.. no 1.9 TDI, so I give them the VIN number and I got all kinds of info, its tucked away in the car and I'll scan it next week.

The engine is an AHH, Tranny is a DHL, Finaldrive Ident 5S, Interior trim code: YZ, roof color N4.
According to the printout, its a GLS Saloon.
Its got a whole list of "PR Numbers" which I assume are the options/features. Thats what I'll scan at work next week.
I think he checked the trunk already...

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
so I'm still searching for a hose for my EGR delete, I found a possibility, its the heater core hose that goes from the heater core to the block on a 1.8T or 2.0TDI. Does anyone know what the end that goes to the block looks like? I need it to be for a 25mm hose barb. I cannot find a good picture that shows what this end looks like, just that end on the other hose. I tried looking at sirpuddingfoots B5.5 TDI but I couldn't even see the hose with everything in the way and I didn't want to tear it apart.

There are a lot of similarities between the B5 and B5.5 Passat TDI. the exhaust is nearly the same(downpipe, cat, manifold) AC belt and tensioner, and I'm sure many other things.

Thanks,
Jon

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Cool.

I just got the new AC controls, a chopped 1.8T heatercore hose that I'll join the old EGR to block hose up with it and my connector(I black hard coat anodized it), a new shift knob and other tidbits from Johns Auto parts in blaine. If anyone needs B5.5 tail lights, theres about 3 sets out there right now, and one right B5 tail light.

Jon

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Finally got to remove the EGR cooler.

A hose pulled from a Passat 1.8T that was chopped at the junk yard. I had to cut it down a little more to get the kinks out of the system without modifying the stock hose

Notice the nice black hard coated aluminum hose barb :)

I rotated the old hose around 180 degrees to mate up with the new heater hose, while doing that I noticed this little connector, its a soft rubber insulation and the connector is a spade connector, the female side.

Its a tight bend, but there are no kinks where the two mate up

New hose on the heater core - that was a pain to fish through!

And clean.

You wouldn't believe it, but a person can actually find a place to stand in a passat engine bay!

Jon