Adding cruise "Cancel" button on 97 Passat

TDI
Pending
Hi all, really pretty new here and although I have been lurking for years I finally have a '97 Passat and have fallen in love with Diesels again. After a couple of painful incidents in my early college years I swore off VW's [blaspheme] forever... or at least for twenty some odd years.

I could go in to a tirade on how much I love my new, to me, Passat. I have had it for a couple of months and I have started thinking about some changes I would like to make. One immediate change is that I would like to install a cruise control "cancel" button. Essentially the same effect as taping the clutch or brake to disengage the cruise on the highway.

I plan on using a spare defroster switch I picked up at the junkyard yesterday. I will remove the "ratcheting" mechanism to make it a momentary PBNO switch and use the face plate from the existing "Brake" light installing it in that location and connecting the light so I still have a button labeled "Brake" that will light up with the parking brake on and use the momentary part of the switch to disengage the cruise current speed setting without illuminating my brake light or even tapping a pedal.

Any suggestions on which circuit to tap in to and where it would be easiest to do so?

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Will you place the switch in the back seat?

I'm sorry, but other than "marking your territory" (as my wife the dog trainer puts it) by modifying the car I don't see any advantage to a switch over the tapping of the clutch pedal.

The B4 switch location isn't all that easy to identify without taking eyes off the road, the switches are not different from a tactile perspective, the use of the switch you describe requires taking a hand off the steering wheel.
All this at a time when, presumably, you are in increasing traffic that requires more attention and reduced speed.

TDI
Pending
I regret wasting your time and bandwidth.

I was thinking in terms of requesting some simple suggestions for help.

In answer to your question I use cruise a lot and when I see traffic slowing a mile ahead of me and I am going 70 mph I would like to just turn off the cruise and don't like the idea of perhaps accidentally lighting my brakes or unnecessary wear on the throwout bearing.

For the same reason I installed cruise and power windows on my CRX way back and cruise on my Goldwing when Honda wouldn't. It's the way I want my vehicle to behave regardless of whether the manufacturer thought it was prudent to build it that way.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
And I have added cruise control on my 1969 SAAB. I know the advantages and convenience of having it.
The cruise cut-out switch in the B4 clutch pedal is properly set when it opens, and shuts off the cruise with about 1/4 inch of pedal motion. The throwout bearing is not even close to being utilized with that small pedal stroke.
So my simple suggestion suggestion is to use the simplest: The one that already exists.
Or you may proceed mark your territory. I will not find fault with your actions if you really just want to make your car yours, and no longer the prior owner's or VW's. What you describe will accomplish exactly the same as tapping the clutch pedal. But your claim that you are doing this for 'convenience' flies in the face of reality as I see it through my eyes.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
i don't use cancel on my cars that do have it. i'd rather tap the brake pedal lust a touch. this lets the car behind me know that my momentum is changing as well as temporarily disable the cruise.