Honda class action lawsuit.

icecap

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI 5Spd Black Anthracite Pkg 1
A newsclip last night indicated Honda Canada is ready to settle a class action lawsuit launched on behlaf of owners whose odometers were out by 4% and could have had a negative effect on lease contracts, depreciaiton and warranty claims.

mavapa

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 golf
It sounds like VW Canada is ready to settle, not go to trial. Four percent is not much, but I suppose it could matter when you turn in a lease car or go for a warranty claim. I presume the odometers were reading 4% high, so registering more miles than the car actually went.

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
Odometers have the capability to be just about spot on - maybe no more than 0.5% deviation if the manufacturers desire. It's the speedometers that they intentionally make optimistic to keep out of lawsuits over speeding tickets.

Given computer controls, odometer and speedometer readings can be separate and not equal. See this effect on any modern Jetta or Golf. Compare to a GPS and the speedometer will be 3 to 4 mph fast (if not more) but the odometer will be EXACT or so close that you couldn't notice.

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
MrMopar said:
Odometers have the capability to be just about spot on - maybe no more than 0.5% deviation if the manufacturers desire. It's the speedometers that they intentionally make optimistic to keep out of lawsuits over speeding tickets.

Given computer controls, odometer and speedometer readings can be separate and not equal. See this effect on any modern Jetta or Golf. Compare to a GPS and the speedometer will be 3 to 4 mph fast (if not more) but the odometer will be EXACT or so close that you couldn't notice.
I've experienced that in my 2001. In addition to yor comment on GPS, with so many midrange and upper range cars (yeah I know, a Civic isn't exactly mid range lol) coming standard with all of these crazy GPS nav systems, they should just make the speedometer and odometer a functio of the NAV unit's GPS reciever. No case for a speedig ticket law suit either. Problem solved.

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
Honda US settled their odometer class action lawsuit this past summer by extending the warranty from 60(k) to 66(k). Boy we were ecstatic when we received that notice. Like every other class action lawsuit, the lawyers made all the money and the "representative class" got taken for a ride.

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
thebigarniedog said:
Honda US settled their odometer class action lawsuit this past summer by extending the warranty from 60(k) to 66(k). Boy we were ecstatic when we received that notice. Like every other class action lawsuit, the lawyers made all the money and the "representative class" got taken for a ride.
I have always felt that class action lawyers should be paid in the same form that the participants receive. I.E. coupons for $500 of a Honda, or a 6k extended warranty, etc. That would be hilarious, at least for about 10 minutes.

Keith_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta MT
Speedometers will never be input from GPS. What about tunnels? Bridges? Electromagnetic storms arising from the next solar storm season?

We are in a solar minimum. Northern Lights have been weak..