Q7 Turbo goes to sleep after 20 minutes

trae

Veteran Member
TDI
3 prior TDIs - '97 B4 Passat Sedan, '96 Passat B4 Wagon, 2001 NB; Current - 2013 Audi Q7 TDI Pearl White Metallic - 2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Touring - 1995 Moto Guzzi 1100 Sport Carb
Hey - Just got a gorgeous 2013 Q7 TDI - however it has a couple issues. There is an intermittent CEL that comes and goes but doesn't seem to affect drivability. However, after 15-20 minutes of driving, the glow plug light starts flashing, and she accelerates like a Mercedes 190D and has the top speed of a hotrodded Puch moped (65-70mph). If I stop the car, take the key out, and restart, she's back to pulling like a team of draft horses to numbers grossly exceeding the speed limit - for 20 minutes, until it happens again. The CEL seems random and unrelated to this issue, but when the glow plug starts flashing, she goes into granny mode. What gives? Any suggestions greatly welcomed. We purchased her from a high end non-factory used car dealer.

Thanks,

Tom

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
Hey - Just got a gorgeous 2013 Q7 TDI - however it has a couple issues. There is an intermittent CEL that comes and goes but doesn't seem to affect drivability. However, after 15-20 minutes of driving, the glow plug light starts flashing, and she accelerates like a Mercedes 190D and has the top speed of a hotrodded Puch moped (65-70mph). If I stop the car, take the key out, and restart, she's back to pulling like a team of draft horses to numbers grossly exceeding the speed limit - for 20 minutes, until it happens again. The CEL seems random and unrelated to this issue, but when the glow plug starts flashing, she goes into granny mode. What gives? Any suggestions greatly welcomed. We purchased her from a high end non-factory used car dealer.

Thanks,

Tom

You car is going into limp mode, reason unclear at this point. If you have access to a VCDS cable, run the scan. When you know more, you’ll know how to tackle the problem. The dieselgate warranty covers engine as well as emissions, so you have some recourse there.

Huskies2710

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi A6 -- 2008 Mercedes ML 320 CDI
Thanks,
Tom
Have you flashed the car to see what the code is? O'Reillys/Autozone will do it in a couple minutes for you.

trae

Veteran Member
TDI
3 prior TDIs - '97 B4 Passat Sedan, '96 Passat B4 Wagon, 2001 NB; Current - 2013 Audi Q7 TDI Pearl White Metallic - 2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Touring - 1995 Moto Guzzi 1100 Sport Carb
Have you flashed the car to see what the code is? O'Reillys/Autozone will do it in a couple minutes for you.
Thanks that's a great idea I had no idea they could do that.

trae

Veteran Member
TDI
What did you find out?

LOL nothing yet. Wife has been driving it - had promised to call the dealer and try and get them to run the codes, and fix anything - I think it went limp enough times today to motivate her to make the call.

Huskies2710

Veteran Member
TDI
LOL nothing yet. Wife has been driving it - had promised to call the dealer and try and get them to run the codes, and fix anything - I think it went limp enough times today to motivate her to make the call.
Your newest purchase has a problem that could cost a bit of money for all we know (what is the dealerships warranty?) your going on two weeks now and haven't done anything? On top of that your worried about getting a Malone Tune done?

Not exactly how I would recommend you go about the situation.

Last edited:

trae

Veteran Member
TDI
Your newest purchase has a problem that could cost a bit of money for all we know (what is the dealerships warranty?) your going on two weeks now and haven't done anything? On top of that your worried about getting a Malone Tune done?

Not exactly how I would recommend you go about the situation.

It took several calls over a week to the dealership - they finally put us in touch with their head shop mechanic who scanned it - very decent guy. All the codes he pulled relate to issues that probably involve (he believes) an EGR valve - either clogged, sticks open or shut - he says they have two. Bottom line is that both his and my read of the extended warranty is it should cover it almost 100% certain. He is following up with VW/Audi tomorrow. Murphy's law - of course since he scanned it, it has run fine with no CELs and no limp mode or other issues. We did consider extended warranty but decided against it due to cost - they are expensive, and given the extent of what the dieselgate extended warranty covers, we made our choice.

We purchased the extended warranty on our totaled ML350 Bluetec - we did use it to replace the oil cooler seal which typically leaks and needs to be upgraded - and a couple others, but the warranty was expensive, and while it ended at 100k, it was amortized over the life of the loan. Our extended warranty had expired about a thousand miles before the Bluetec exploded so it was no help with that.

You make your best educated decision at the time you have to make it. As soon as this issue is taken care of, we won't be going back to the dealer anyway - have a great local mechanic who cuts me deals because of all the customers I've referred to him. For any more complex mechanical issues, I've got my buddy in Wilmette, who steered me away (along with others) from BMW diesels, and who probably works on as many or more German cars as any mechanic on the North Shore, and also cuts me deals.

I buy used cars; eventually they'll need some repairs, and with this one, I'll have to pay for those not covered by the settlement warranty. That doesn't bother me. It's more than a fair trade-off given what I paid for this car vs. the price on the original sticker in excess of $60k. Looks like 2019 Q7s with the 6 cyl list at over $63k and I'm not even seeing a TDI option. I'm pretty happy with what we got.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
EGR is covered. I’d say you’re in good shape, but let us know how it moves along.

trae

Veteran Member
TDI
EGR is covered. I’d say you’re in good shape, but let us know how it moves along.

All looking good. A delete would eliminate the EGR system anyway.

Huskies2710

Veteran Member
TDI
It took several calls over a week to the dealership - they finally put us in touch with their head shop mechanic who scanned it - very decent guy. All the codes he pulled relate to issues that probably involve (he believes) an EGR valve - either clogged, sticks open or shut - he says they have two. Bottom line is that both his and my read of the extended warranty is it should cover it almost 100% certain. He is following up with VW/Audi tomorrow. Murphy's law - of course since he scanned it, it has run fine with no CELs and no limp mode or other issues. We did consider extended warranty but decided against it due to cost - they are expensive, and given the extent of what the dieselgate extended warranty covers, we made our choice.
We purchased the extended warranty on our totaled ML350 Bluetec - we did use it to replace the oil cooler seal which typically leaks and needs to be upgraded - and a couple others, but the warranty was expensive, and while it ended at 100k, it was amortized over the life of the loan. Our extended warranty had expired about a thousand miles before the Bluetec exploded so it was no help with that.
You make your best educated decision at the time you have to make it. As soon as this issue is taken care of, we won't be going back to the dealer anyway - have a great local mechanic who cuts me deals because of all the customers I've referred to him. For any more complex mechanical issues, I've got my buddy in Wilmette, who steered me away (along with others) from BMW diesels, and who probably works on as many or more German cars as any mechanic on the North Shore, and also cuts me deals.
I buy used cars; eventually they'll need some repairs, and with this one, I'll have to pay for those not covered by the settlement warranty. That doesn't bother me. It's more than a fair trade-off given what I paid for this car vs. the price on the original sticker in excess of $60k. Looks like 2019 Q7s with the 6 cyl list at over $63k and I'm not even seeing a TDI option. I'm pretty happy with what we got.

Good to hear it should be covered. Can probably take it to an Audi dealership since its a warranty thing? Highland Park?

Also, no more TDI's since the dieselgate.
https://autoweek.com/article/vw-diesel-scandal/vw-says-goodbye-diesels-america

I'm finding it very difficult to find a 2016 A6 TDI because they hadn't released many yet once the diesel scandal had occurred. To top it off the color I want is the special Daytona Gray :confused:

Good news is Ford is releasing the Ford Focus ST with a turbo diesel engine which is their sport model and directly competes with the Volkswagen GTI.

Hopefully this gets the TDI market going again but might be a bearish market with what VW did.

Huskies2710

Veteran Member
TDI
Nevermind, it mentioned at the bottom not coming to USA, I forgot Ford cancelled all their sedans and small cars.

��

trae

Veteran Member
TDI
Just got car examined at the Audi shop, it's exhaust issues, so all covered by the warranty. So sometime next week all will be good. They mentioned tires (which I knew) and that while the battery works ok for now, it may need replacement before long. They offered to replace it for $600. Lol no thanks, O'Reilly's Auto Parts has a replacement battery for $189 & I doubt I need to remove the engine to put it in. I guess I figured out how dealers pay for their fancy waiting rooms, complimentary car washed and "free" loaner cars......also they want $195 to program a spare key (she only came with one). I called like 5 automotive locksmiths, and all confirmed Audi is one of perhaps two manufacturers who don't share their programming and only they can program their keys - damn I hate going to the dealer for anything.

Last edited:

Huskies2710

Veteran Member
TDI
Just got car examined at the Audi shop, it's exhaust issues, so all covered by the warranty. So sometime next week all will be good. They mentioned tires (which I knew) and that while the battery works ok for now, it may need replacement before long. They offered to replace it for $600. Lol no thanks, O'Reilly's Auto Parts has a replacement battery for $189 & I doubt I need to remove the engine to put it in. I guess I figured out how dealers pay for their fancy waiting rooms and "free" loaner cars......
The thirstiness of dealerships knows no bounds. Glad it will get fixed.

trae

Veteran Member
TDI
The thirstiness of dealerships knows no bounds. Glad it will get fixed.

At the dealership now. Apart from the highway robbery of $195 to program a second key, it's reassuring to know that at least in this case the dieselgate warranty was hassle free. And their loaner car is a new Q7.

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Audi A6 TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
Was this for a new key and programming or just programming?
My local Audi dealer charges $80 CDN Eh! for programming.

trae

Veteran Member
TDI
Was this for a new key and programming or just programming?
My local Audi dealer charges $80 CDN Eh! for programming.
:( $195 just for the programming. I got a reconditioned key for $87 - Audi lists new replacements for $190. We had a local automotive locksmith cut the blank and he did his best to try and program it but I guess Audi is one of only a couple auto manufacturers that doesn't share their programming with automotive locksmiths :mad:

trae

Veteran Member
TDI
So the Audi dealership in Chicago, Fletcher Jones, can't program the refurbished key for the 2013 Q7 - now we have to buy a new one for $243 - yep $243 - and they charge $210 - yep $210 - to program it. That's a total of $453.55 for a stupid key. I have had transmissions changed on cars I used to own for less.
Anyone know of another dealer in the Chicago area who can either sell or program a new key for less? Right now it hurts to sit down. Any relatively nearby big city that offers a significant discount will also be considered - Milwaukee, Indianapolis, etc. - with what we could save on the key, it would pay for a much - needed road trip. Or if anyone knows how to install an ignition lock that takes $5 Ace Hardware keys, that would be equally welcome.
Tom :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Last edited:

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Odis is available publicly to locksmiths but it's pricey, not all keys have the same chips though so it may be a compatibility issue.

trae

Veteran Member
TDI
Odis is available publicly to locksmiths but it's pricey, not all keys have the same chips though so it may be a compatibility issue.
First Audi dealer that charges $195 for programming couldn't program the unlocked refurbished key - I did call another local Audi dealer - while they indicate Audi partially programs the keys prior to shipping - so we may be stuck buying the key from them - they only charge $80 to program it as opposed to $195. All of 15 miles from the shop that charges $195.