Lovin the CR thread....pipe in CR owners.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
well I guess I am just SICK of hearing people cry about the CR motor and all the BIG expenses I need to get ready for....I better set up a fund for all these crazy expenses according to some....but right now....I am LOVIN our new Golf....quiet,fast,efficient,6 speed , world class interior, nice leather, and what a ride...suspension just right...and perfect size for flying on the hwy or parking in a tight spot....I will not be dissuaded by all the nay sayers....I am hoping the positive people who OWN one will pipe in...what is your mileage, what are your comments...show us some love ...the CR awaits.

tdisky

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL (hers)
Yup, I'm loving mine. I must say, the new Golfs are really good looking, more so than my Jetta. That said, I love the engine, but miss the sound of my PD. What I don't miss is the muddy handling (at least to me) of the MKIV.

All in all, a terrific car. Come what may, I smile every time I light it off.

6Gears

TDI
09 Jetta Tdi
I got 50.3 mpg on my way home from work yesterday (48 miles each way) (yes 2.0 cr). Ride qualitly is amazing, very very very fun. Fun enough that I even autocross it.
Best vehicle you can run and yet get 50mpg

corvettecrazy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI manual
I'm loving mine as well.

Actually, I love my jetta. The ride is good, the interior and seats are quite nice, the 6speed is sweet, the tq of a diesel (my first) is awesome, and the mpg when driving hard is even better.

I do miss having GM family sedans for the fact that they can take a CRAZY beating and still drive but I don't feel that way too often.

6Gears

TDI
09 Jetta Tdi
I love my car even more after tonight from when i went home from work.
My fuel consumption guage (depending how accurate), I was babying the hell out of it and i was watching 54.1mpg.. I almost splooged myself lolol..
Yes I know pictures or didnt happen, but didnt have my camera lol.

I also love the fact that i commute right around 500 miles a week (mon- friday) and I get a little over 500 miles on my tank lol. I'm hoping with how much of a sissy ive been driving like, to see what my tank lasts me to

:D :D :D

PaulGiz

Veteran Member
TDI
None any more. My heart couldn't take it.
They're still pretty new, so people (like me) don't want to gush too much and put the jinx on.

I've got 25,000 miles and [so far] it is the best car I've ever owned by miles and miles. Perfect combination of handling, performance, comfort and fuel economy. I still actually look forward to getting into it every day.

Ask me again in 75,000 miles (about 3 years for me) and then I might gush.

P.

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
I've only got 9000 miles on mine, but to date it is one of my favorite vehicles ever. I really love the feel of the car, great combination of comfort, power/torque, driveability/fun factor, and of course efficiency. So, if this thing can remain reliable over the long run I will one happy camper.

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
After 40000 miles I still can't wait to drive my car each day. Like others have said, it's a remarkable combination of power, handling, fuel efficiency and lower emission. I would probably still choose my 2.0 liter even if a 1.6 was available because I like the additional torque in the kind of driving I do. The HPFP issue does worry me, as does the long term reliability/maintenance of the new exhaust system, but I intend to keep the car a while so time will tell.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
They're still pretty new, so people (like me) don't want to gush too much and put the jinx on.

I've got 25,000 miles and [so far] it is the best car I've ever owned by miles and miles. Perfect combination of handling, performance, comfort and fuel economy. I still actually look forward to getting into it every day.

Ask me again in 75,000 miles (about 3 years for me) and then I might gush.

P.
I am not paying attention to all the naysayers...my last tdi was amazing. this one is leaps and bounds better in refinement, power, torque, comfort and driveability. bought the golf cause it's the best product in its class of premium small cars....the price difference was negligible compared to mitsus, cruzes, corollas, civics, etc,,,when comparing loaded car to loaded car and I get a diesel with a 6 speed !! I feel like a winner. I have driven it 11,000kms on same oil since bought new, driven it hard and long and with no mercy and the oil level has not budged 1 mm. And we get better mileage than all those other cars for same price as premium fuel.
any more love out there for the CR??

lrpavlo

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Sportwagen DSG, 02 NB Auto
Having started with the B4V and moved into the Golfs and Beetles this 09 sportwagen is just wonderful! I'm dreading doing the DSG tranny fluid change, only because of my lyme making my inability to read and remember tuff.....
But the refinement and power is just wonderful!!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I love my car even more after tonight from when i went home from work.
My fuel consumption guage (depending how accurate), I was babying the hell out of it and i was watching 54.1mpg.. I almost splooged myself lolol..
Yes I know pictures or didnt happen, but didnt have my camera lol.

I also love the fact that i commute right around 500 miles a week (mon- friday) and I get a little over 500 miles on my tank lol. I'm hoping with how much of a sissy ive been driving like, to see what my tank lasts me to

:D :D :D
You should be able to baby 650 miles out of a tank. With that sort of comute, all depends on how low you want the gage to go.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I am starting to love them, too! The labor time to change the turbo is a solid 2.5 hours more than the previous cars! Woot! :D

But we are not done, yet. The DPF alone was a challenge to get out... had to remove the subframe and the right axle, the backside of the engine is an albatross of tubes, wires, hoses, valves, sensors, all jammed into a VERY tight area. This engine is COMPLEX beyond any 4 cylinder I have ever serviced, by far. Let's hope they hold up better than this one has, because working on the engine is NOT going to be pleasant for the novice. 3 fuel pumps, 2 pressure sensors, 2 throttles, 2 EGRs, 3 EGT sensors, 1 lambda sensor, 2 intake paths, 4 pressure-sensing glow plugs, an EGR filter, a DPF, a de-NOx cat, a de-sulfur cat... seriously the backside of this engine reminds me of the Borg Cube.

I am saddened by this CR engine due to the complexity. The performance is good (not any better than the 2.0L PD though), the emissions is outstanding, the quietness of the engine is extraordinary... but it remains to be seen if they have done as good as MB has with these.

Would I buy one myself? Yeah, probably would. :p But I think 10 years from now, we will look back and recollect the shortcomings and weaknesses of these early CR engines much the same way we do now about the previous engines. I have confidence in the overall design, though, but the simplicity of a diesel engine is long gone, and it probably won't ever come back.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=3375135#post3375135

Last edited:

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
I don't think the CR can qualify as "new" any more. They startes selling in the US in early/mid '08 so they've been around for nearly 3 years now.

I agree with OilHammer: We'll adapt to them just like we did with the AHU and the ALH with all their quirkiness. Drive-by-wire, VNT turbos, EGR systems, clogging intakes, etc.

I'm on my second CR and while I loved my Jetta, I love the Golf even more. I jst wish it sounded more like a turbo Diesel.

PaulGiz

Veteran Member
TDI
None any more. My heart couldn't take it.
Nothing but respect for Oilhammer, but comparing to earlier cars isn't realistic. Crawl around under the hood of any current model car and you'll find more or less the same complexity.

I went to the New England (Audi/VW) Dustoff and realized I'd forgotten just how much room we used to have in the engine bay once upon a time. Most of my mechanic time these days seems to be spent taking things apart just to gain access to the part I actually meant to work on.

Still, despite all that I have to say modern cars are faster, smoother, more reliable and require less fiddling to keep running right.

I'll take it.

P.

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
No, actually, if you look under the hood of most any other current 4 cylinder car, you will see a far SIMPLER engine... actually, you can even SEE the engine. It is not covered with tubes, hoses, wires, etc. Just that some of them like to stuff them into even smaller and smaller engine bays, and cover them with a piece of plastic for asthetics, but underneath the engine itself is pretty simple. Things have become WAY streamlined, which is a good thing.

In 1990, a 2.2L Honda Accord had a cable throttle, a thermo-wax cold idle-up valve, an idle kicker for the A/C, another idle kicker for in-gear, a damper for the throttle linkage, and another for high load compensation if all else failed. In 2010, it has a throttle body with a little stepper motor on it. Period.

Stuff has gotten much simpler on the gas engines' control side, save for the hardware necessary for DI on those engines that have it. The current CR TDIs have gone the other way. It's fine if in never breaks, but....

I was nearly shell-shocked the first time I took the engine cover off of one, much the same way I was spell-bound the first time I opened the hood of the 6.4L Powerstroke Ford. I think the emissions regs have forced the complexity of diesels beyond reason. I guess it sucks for me because in the industry, we are the ones made out to be the bad guys when we have to charge so much for the labor to repair things because it takes so long to do anything on them. Heck, they piled a bunch of stuff over the top of the timing belt upper cover on the CBEA/CJAA engines... just when they got as simple as they had ever been (the BRM is a super easy timing belt) they went and made it more complex than the ALH was! :rolleyes:

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
Heck, they piled a bunch of stuff over the top of the timing belt upper cover on the CBEA/CJAA engines... just when they got as simple as they had ever been (the BRM is a super easy timing belt) they went and made it more complex than the ALH was! :rolleyes:
Have you changed a TB yet on a CR engine? If so, other than the obstacles, how was it?

oilhammer

TDI
I have not yet. Once the stuff on top is out of the way, it looks to be pretty straightforward. The HPFP has a similar setup to the VE's injection pump, in that it gets pinned in place and its pulley screws get loosened to allow proper belt tensioning.

The A6 has a nice feature, too, in that instead of making it necessary to remove the inner fender liner to get at the mount bracket bolt access hole there is a hole in the liner with a grommet in the body access hole. So that will save a couple steps.

Labor time is a couple tenths more than the BRM, about the same as the BEW.

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
I'll pipe in as a fan of the CRs. After driving my Jetta around for a few months I couldn't resist getting the Golf. I've converted to 100% diesel, so I've got my fingers crossed that they'll stand the test of time. I'm trying to be meticulous about maintenance. They are a hard to beat combination of quiet power, performance, and economy. There have been a lot of negative threads lately regarding the CRs, especially with diesel prices soaring. I think some may have unrealistic ideas about mpg in these cars. The bottom line is that if your driving conditions are reasonable, i.e. the car has time to warm up, highway driving, or even a mix of secondary roads and city driving you can get mpg into the low 40s. Yes, I have gotten low 50s on some short trips, but that is highway, speed 55-60 mph in 6th gear. Most day to day driving, commuting to work nets mpg in the low 40s. If you are stuck in traffic, or the car is used for short trips you'll be looking at low 30s for mpg. I think the new CR owners see the mpg of the ALH drivers and hypermilers and get disappointed when they don't see those kinds of numbers. If you compare these cars to similarly sized gassers operating under the same conditions you'll definitely be doing better. If you bought a CR for "immediate savings" you'll be disappointed. If you keep the car for a long time you'll do better than a similarly sized hybrid and you'll have a nicer car. You have to enjoy these cars for what they are - more power, cleaner environmentally, efficient, but not the mpg of the earlier models. The CR drivers should definitely "Drive more, worry less" IMHO.

DieselNerd

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
I'm pleasantly surprised by the milage I'm getting. I'm a new TDI owner (but have owned other diesels...both SUVs). I traded in a Ford Explorer for my TDI. I'm used to getting a whopping 16mpg. Seeing low 30's in traffic and low 40's on the highway has me EXTREMELY excited.

I'm going to save enough money in fuel each month to make HALF the car payment. It's like driving a new Jetta TDI for half price.

mwayner69

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI DSG
I'm going to save enough money in fuel each month to make HALF the car payment. It's like driving a new Jetta TDI for half price.
+1. I traded in a Dodge Ram with a Hemi that was getting 15.5 mpgs. I'm saving 50-75/wk in fuel now. It nearly makes my car payment.

lou95gts

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
If you want an inaccessible engine, buy a Ford diesel mech a coffee and ask him how you change a head gasket, turbo or do some major o/h on a 6.4 PS. The whole cab needs to be disconnected and lifted off the chassis!
I fix commercial aircraft for a living. These cr diesels are right up my alley!

oilhammer

TDI
If you want an inaccessible engine, buy a Ford diesel mech a coffee and ask him how you change a head gasket, turbo or do some major o/h on a 6.4 PS. The whole cab needs to be disconnected and lifted off the chassis!
I fix commercial aircraft for a living. These cr diesels are right up my alley!
You pretty much have to do that to do head gaskets on the Triton engines, too. It is not that bad, but sucks that you have to do it at all. The SUVs are especially fun since the body is full-length, you cannot just lift the front part.

One of Ford's new selling points about the new 6.7L PS is "cab-on" service. We'll see, but it is still a LOT of stuff packed into the engine bay.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
CRs are dragging many new owners to the fold that never owned one and they are blown away by the car....the ALH gang will come around or they will drive their old gals forever....they just dont know what they are missing.....driving is not all about 60 mpg...

oilhammer

TDI
CRs are dragging many new owners to the fold that never owned one and they are blown away by the car....the ALH gang will come around or they will drive their old gals forever....they just dont know what they are missing.....driving is not all about 60 mpg...
No, it is also about half-million mile engines :D.

I like the CR engines, I am just not sure everyone who owns one will several years down the road. We'll see, I hold out hope yet, as Volkswagen's biggest fan! :)

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
No, it is also about half-million mile engines :D.

I like the CR engines, I am just not sure everyone who owns one will several years down the road. We'll see, I hold out hope yet, as Volkswagen's biggest fan! :)
Why the switch over to CR engines in the first place instead of upgrading the ALH or PD? What's the advantage? Could you make an ALH engine that would pass the EPA regs?

Last edited:

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I really like driving my wife's 2010 Jetta. The engine and DSG transmission perform flawlessly. It might take ten years to break in.

She just hit 10k, and it was bought in Dec of 09.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Why the switch over to CR engines in the first place instead of upgrading the ALH or PD? What's the advantage? Could you make an ALH engine that would pass the EPA regs?
This is my understanding, but I welcome correction from others who know more detail.

The ALH was long in the tooth. It's computer-controlled rotary injection pump has some limitations: it can't reach high enough pressures across the whole rpm range for the very fine atomization required to meet current and near future emissions goals. Second, it can't do more than one pilot injection--itself a feature of the nozzle, so it can't do combustion rate shaping with multiple injections. The method used to adjust dynamic timing is limited by hysteresis of diesel fuel as the working hydraulic fluid and a return spring on the cam plate can only respond so fast also.

The PD was a short-term stop gap solution from a business strategic standpoint and was never meant to be a long term platform. It was born an orphan and it will stay that way. Basically, VW saw the need to hit near-term emissions goals that are now in place back in the early 2000's. Bosch had a CR fuel pump but it wasn't going to be a long term solution, and I gather the price was too high. Remember these were sold as economy cars. So VW put off the jump to CR and bridged the gap with their own in-house band aid of a solution: Pumpe Duese. But PD's ate their cams (they shrunk the valve lobes radically, added more stress to the valve train, and forgot to give it more oil...clearly it wasn't meant to last, and PD owners the world over will be cursing VW ten years from now, I think). Technologically, the PD also couldn't meet current regulations because it can't do multiple injections either.

Sadly, I think Tdiclub is largely to blame for the new market strategy VW has taken here w/r/t diesels: we clamored and slobbered for Common Rail (I'm guilty too). We had many of the more affluent members slobbering for more luxury. VW is reading. They are just doing what the truck guys do: position diesel as a 'premium' drive train and appoint the highline features: viola, the price rises like a helium balloon while the benefits fall like a rock. Cost/benefit analysis says: ha, don't make us laugh!

We should be technology neutral. Why should I care what kind of fuel pump my Tdi has, really? All I care is that it is robust, powerful, and economical to operate. *kicks self*

Last edited:

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
This is my understanding, but I welcome correction from others who know more detail.

The ALH was long in the tooth. It's computer-controlled rotary injection pump has some limitations: it can't reach high enough pressures across the whole rpm range for the very fine atomization required to meet current and near future emissions goals. Second, it can't do more than one pilot injection--itself a feature of the nozzle, so it can't do combustion rate shaping with multiple injections. The method used to adjust dynamic timing is limited by hysteresis of diesel fuel as the working hydraulic fluid and a return spring on the cam plate can only respond so fast also.

The PD was a short-term stop gap solution from a business strategic standpoint and was never meant to be a long term platform. It was born an orphan and it will stay that way. Basically, VW saw the need to hit near-term emissions goals that are now in place back in the early 2000's. Bosch had a CR fuel pump but it wasn't going to be a long term solution, and I gather the price was too high. Remember these were sold as economy cars. So VW put off the jump to CR and bridged the gap with their own in-house band aid of a solution: Pumpe Duese. But PD's ate their cams (they shrunk the valve lobes radically, added more stress to the valve train, and forgot to give it more oil...clearly it wasn't meant to last, and PD owners the world over will be cursing VW ten years from now, I think). Technologically, the PD also couldn't meet current regulations because it can't do multiple injections either.

Sadly, I think Tdiclub is largely to blame for the new market strategy VW has taken here w/r/t diesels: we clamored and slobbered for Common Rail (I'm guilty too). We had many of the more affluent members slobbering for more luxury. VW is reading. They are just doing what the truck guys do: position diesel as a 'premium' drive train and appoint the highline features: viola, the price rises like a helium balloon while the benefits fall like a rock. Cost/benefit analysis says: ha, don't make us laugh!

We should be technology neutral. Why should I care what kind of fuel pump my Tdi has, really? All I care is that it is robust, powerful, and economical to operate. *kicks self*
Thanks. Very interesting.

oilhammer

TDI
The VE injection system is like an ignition distributor with solid-state pickup coil in a gas engine. It is better than points, but still limited to its mechanical range.

PD is not much different, in that it is STILL a mechanical injection system, but it does have a broader range of operation and much higher available pressure.

CR is like full-on coil-on-plug ignition system: no mechanical anything to stand in the way of control. The injection even can literally happen whenever the ECU needs it.

So for emissions reasons, CR is far and away superior. It is also why the engines can idle so quiet, as the timing can be WAY retarded at idle. This also has the added benefit of keeping the exhaust hot.