www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old August 17th, 2018, 05:32   #76
eddie_1
Veteran Member

Ended up putting a new stock clutch and new stock DMF on the advice of Jens at CCC Motorsport. He said the original LUK was a great clutch and no one has improved on it in this config. as seen through his testing.

Well, what do you know, the new stock combo is holding great without any issues and back to stock feel too. Jens had warned me that the SRE stiff disc and SRE pressure plate were useless. When SRE said 550NM max this time, they really meant it. Various people said the SRE would be better than stock including DLI etc. (Maybe in the past). Jens always maintained a new stock LUK clutch was the best around after testing. His analysis is on fb here.

The used stock clutch I had earlier was better than the SRE solution. Wasted a grand.

See Force Numbers in Red:

2008 A6 BPP 283kmh - 2003 Jetta Wagon ALH 150mph, 170WHP Smoke free German Map, VNT 17/22, 11mm IP, 02M DRW 6speed, OMI, Lower IC pipes,FMIC, PD Lift Pump, 3bar map, ARL Sachs Upgraded/DMF, PP764s, CCV Filter, EGR delete, PD150 Intake, PD150 SRP, 2.5" DP with Magnaflow Cat & 2.5" Catback, R32 DSG Snorkel, PD150 Airbox/MAF, Custom Accordian, Ventectomy, Rear Fog, Euroswitch, 5 brake light mod, McNally EGT/Boost Gague, Scanguage II, Hidden Hitch, LED tails, Koni Reds, Depo

Last edited by eddie_1; August 17th, 2018 at 05:36.
eddie_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2018, 00:50   #77
ben0069

Hey Eddie,
Just thought it was worth mentioning about the issues you had with the sre clutch, I have experienced exactly the same, 1st is bad, reverse is even worse, changing down and the pedal is so hard, I'm sure my left leg is bigger than my right
I was thinking it was my driving style. I have the 2.5 tdi v6 which is around 280hp at the moment and am desperate to go back to stock feel.
ben0069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2018, 02:37   #78
eddie_1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben0069 View Post
Hey Eddie,
Just thought it was worth mentioning about the issues you had with the sre clutch, I have experienced exactly the same, 1st is bad, reverse is even worse, changing down and the pedal is so hard, I'm sure my left leg is bigger than my right
I was thinking it was my driving style. I have the 2.5 tdi v6 which is around 280hp at the moment and am desperate to go back to stock feel.

Hi Ben, Thanks for the feedback. Right, I had the same shuddering as you except I think yours might be actually holding the higher torque because your stiff pedal indicates the pressure plate is probably clamping better. I think they tried to reduce the stiff pedal effect and ended up making the pressure plate weaker. From what time frame was your clutch?

Now they have a ridiculous product:
1) Costs double the stock clutch.
2) Does not hold as much as the stock clutch.
3) Shuddering with no performance benefit.
4) Made their pressure plate incompatible with the stock clutch disc for business reasons, whilst the stock disc with springs would give the stock feel.

According to Jens what they are doing is basically using their Sachs Performance name to show market presence although the product is actually sub-par. If vendors like DLI are also supporting these sub-par products you kind of wonder what is going on.
2008 A6 BPP 283kmh - 2003 Jetta Wagon ALH 150mph, 170WHP Smoke free German Map, VNT 17/22, 11mm IP, 02M DRW 6speed, OMI, Lower IC pipes,FMIC, PD Lift Pump, 3bar map, ARL Sachs Upgraded/DMF, PP764s, CCV Filter, EGR delete, PD150 Intake, PD150 SRP, 2.5" DP with Magnaflow Cat & 2.5" Catback, R32 DSG Snorkel, PD150 Airbox/MAF, Custom Accordian, Ventectomy, Rear Fog, Euroswitch, 5 brake light mod, McNally EGT/Boost Gague, Scanguage II, Hidden Hitch, LED tails, Koni Reds, Depo
Old August 18th, 2018, 11:09   #79
ben0069

Time scale was 2012/13.
I recently bought a new flywheel in preparation for the new clutch, I already have a sachs clutch disc that I bought a few years ago and am looking to buy a new pressure plate next, will definitely go oem for that.
This is the combination I was going to try next, not sure if the disc will make any difference or not...
ben0069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2018, 12:38   #80
adamss24
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 35-45mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben0069 View Post
Time scale was 2012/13.
I recently bought a new flywheel in preparation for the new clutch, I already have a sachs clutch disc that I bought a few years ago and am looking to buy a new pressure plate next, will definitely go oem for that.
This is the combination I by as going to try next, not sure if the disc will make any difference or not...
Ben, i sold my black allroad with a gtb2260vk turbo to one of my mates, the stock brand nee Luk clutch has stood well to a hybrid like yours for nearly 3 years however it started slupping after the gtb2260vk 6 months after new ownership... The luk clutch will not last long to a tuned v6 tdi with race 683 nozzles however might hold ok to your cars spec. i have a few friends with larger turbos than yours and their sachs sre clutches hold ok even with heavy abuse!
adamss24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2018, 13:55   #81
Pittdawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie_1 View Post
Finally got around to upgrading to the BiTDI MAF. Used the BiTDI plastic tube and a 45deg elbow silicone reducer from ~78mm ~57mm. Cut the silicone reducer to get the right length. The CCV is venting through a hose at the moment, but need to couple it into the plastic BiTDI tube section. Plot included of the BiTDI MAF linearization map which is 37point while my stock BPP MAP is 57 point. Adapted the BiTDI MAF to 57 point.

Still need to try it out on the highway. Not 100% sure if this was the limitation. My IQ was being limited fairly linearly above ~4000rpm. Could be other limiters as well.
Do you happen to have the part number for the BITDI plastic intake to turbo inlet pipe? Is it the same part across the B8 platform, i.e. it should work on my 2014 Q5?
Pittdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2018, 10:53   #82
eddie_1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittdawg View Post
Do you happen to have the part number for the BITDI plastic intake to turbo inlet pipe? Is it the same part across the B8 platform, i.e. it should work on my 2014 Q5?
Hi, the plastic intake part number is: 059129629B. This part was from a SQ5 in Europe which also has the BiTurbo engine CGQB.
I used this part and cut it to fit into a reducer silicon hose for the GTB2260VK attachment.
This piece wont fit on your car if it is not a BiTurbo. It needs the matching MAF housing as well to fit on one end and the other end will need some kind of hose adapter like I have shown above. The matching MAF housing is given in this discussion.
Old December 31st, 2018, 00:12   #83
Xmc_Boss

hello,

i read all ! very insteresting. i have a6 2,7 tdi and i start remap.
So, with 2,6 bar (real 1,6b), 68mg, and rail 1600/1650 is a good starting point.

great stage with the 3.0 tdi turbo
Xmc_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2018, 01:58   #84
eddie_1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmc_Boss View Post
hello,
i read all ! very insteresting. i have a6 2,7 tdi and i start remap.
So, with 2,6 bar (real 1,6b), 68mg, and rail 1600/1650 is a good starting point.
great stage with the 3.0 tdi turbo
Je vous en prie. Si vous avez besoin d'aide avec le map vous pouvez m'envoyer un message prive. Maintenant j'ai presque 90mg et 2,1bar.
Old December 31st, 2018, 05:12   #85
Xmc_Boss

Merci. Je vais devoir faire attention au couple, c'est une quattro-tiptronic.
Xmc_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2019, 15:04   #86
eddie_1
Veteran Member

Upgraded the front brakes from 321mm to 360mm from A8/Phaeton/A6 armoured vehicle.
Was pretty straightforward. Used some brake hoses from ebay so called Panamera TRW hoses to avoid using the exepensive dealer item hose/brakeline/holder that was hard to find used. The calipers and carriers are easy to get used for regular price. Tied the ABS/Wear cable to the brake hose for now. The old holder I think can be modified to work with new caliper. Apart from the Calipers, all the hardware was TRW - Discs, Pads, Hoses.

Old August 17th, 2019, 01:08   #87
adamss24
Veteran Member

Looks like a good upgrade however i wonder how much unsprung weight they added to the car compared with the old setup ! I went wit the 380mm rs4/rs6 setup on my last car and they felt ok- great stopping power.
On the c5 allroad i sold with over 300 bhp i had a s4 b6 setup- 345mm discs and ATE pads- the brakes were not man enough and pedal would fade after a few hard braking from high speed on motorway ! It was scary at times to put your foot down and realize the brakes dont bite as they should !
Old August 31st, 2019, 14:26   #88
eddie_1
Veteran Member

Well the 360mm on the front makes quite an aggressive difference. Really impressed, especially on the Autobahn.

Since I was on a roll, decided to upgrade the rear as well. Due to diesel scare used parts are cheap. Caliper/Handbrake motor 40 per side. Went from 300mm to 330mm.

Old August 31st, 2019, 21:48   #89
adamss24
Veteran Member

Very nice !