Upgrading NA CR 140 to EU CR 170

Sween

TDI
2012 Golf
Has anyone attempted to convert / upgrade the NA CR 140 to the EU CR 170? Looking for upgrades to the hardware before playing with the software. If anyone has one up and running what parts were used and cost of the build would be appreciated.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Just get a tune, waaaayy easier to do.
-BB

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Just get a tune, waaaayy easier to do.
-BB
Rocketchip Stage 1 (RC1) tuning promises +30 HP / +50 ft-lbs. Add that to the NA stock 140 HP and you're at 170. DONE. :cool:

The clutch should be OK with it and still have room to spare. From what I've heard, the EU CR 170 uses the exact same clutch hardware as NA CR 140.

I'm thinking about getting my JSW tuned with RC1 soon. :cool:

Good luck.

Last edited:

chris@revotechnik

TDI
12 JSW, 98 TJ cummins, bunch of gassers
US/Canada 140 has a different turbo, different injectors, different DPF and cat arrangement, it also has the second low pressure EGR that the euro 170s do not have.

Some of the euro 140s are actually detuned 170s we unfortunately did not luck out to get the same.

I haven't seen any of the parts in my hands personally a few people here claim that none of it bolts up including the injectors but when you ask them for any info on this they just disappear. Was having a conversation last night with one of our engineers based in the UK and we are going to see about getting a few parts over here for me to see what fits and what doesn't.

chris@revotechnik

TDI
Did some more digging this morning since it came up on another forum.

The CBBB engine code CR170 found in the passat and GTD in the UK and possibly other places in europe:

Uses the same replacement cylinder head which means the turbo bolts up and the injectors would fit the same. This disproves rumors stating otherwise.

to further back this up the CBBB we have in house uses the same fitting on the outlet of the turbo to the DPF (DPF is different itself). This means that the turbo outlet would bolt right up to a US CR140 factory DPF. I have a DPF delete we installed on our CBBB right next to me awaiting to go on my CJAA. To go one step further to ensure the manifold/turbo bolt to the cylinder head I have confirmed that the CR140 CJAA and the CR170 CBBB have the exact same exhaust manifold gasket part number, this means they have the same bolt pattern.

There may still be some misalignment of the EGR ports and other small things but many people swapping would be blocking those off anyway meaning that is less critical. ITs possible some chagnes to the EGR and how it routes to the intake may also be different as i have not checked into that but that can all easily be done by sourcing the factory parts or building them aftermarket.

Unrelated but according to engineer/owner of the CR170 in our A3 over in the UK shares the same airbox as the 2.0t and other petrol applications. I had mine apart earlier this week and ours is much different internally then what was in our 2.0T development car we had in the US. About 1/3 of the airfilter is reserved only for cold starts below 2 celcius and is otherwise closed off during normal "warm" operation.

I've got a buddy who is a BW dealer but does not deal with these applications checking to see pricing and availability of the CBBB turbo in North America.

The NMS Passat CR140 does have a different cylinder head part number, different turbo number than the US CJAA CR140 and according to the diagram has oval ports out of the manifold not round. The part number for the exhaust gasket is also different. So without digging further it would seem the CBBB turbo would not bolt on the NMS Passat CR140 and we already know they use a different type of injectors which means that the CR170s probably could not be controlled by the ecu in that application.

cmrn

TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Do you know how much more flow the EU injectors are capable of?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

chris@revotechnik

TDI

We are all there for a basic stage 1 tune, that is not the same as using the 170 hardware though which with a tune would then put you at 200 or so even with the US/CAN DPF and a little more on a euro DPF.

230+ is possible with a DPF delete in regions where they are not required.

bhutchins

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDiCup, 02Q built Sept 2010
what are the CR140 and CR170 injector part#'s?
I have a set of 03L130277C sitting here, and dont know if they would make any improvement.

Last edited:

chris@revotechnik

TDI
what are the CR140 and CR170 injector part#'s?
I have a set of 03L130277C sitting here, and dont know if they would make any improvement.

Those are stock from a US CR140 CJAA engine, not used in any CR170 applications that I have found. Have a set of the 277C on my desk.

chris@revotechnik

TDI
Those are stock from a US CR140 CJAA engine, not used in any CR170 applications that I have found. Have a set of the 277C on my desk.

Crap I mispoke and just realized it today.. Those are the Amarok ones like I posted in the other thread. Too many darn part numbers going through my head yesterday.