2004 Jetta TDI no heat.

Tylere543

TDI
2004 jetta BEW
So I bought this car form Florida. They had bypassed the heater core. Reconnected lines that where bypassed. Checked heater. No heat. If I had to guess maybe 65-70 degree at full operating temp(190 degrees) checked both heater hoses going to heater core, both are hot but still no heat. Removed in side panels and checked blend door. Still the same temp. Around 70 degrees. Any other suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Wouldn’t surprise me if the heater core is clogged. Im going to flush it tomorrow

That's what I was thinking, also be sure you don't smell sweet inside the car.
The two reasons I expect the heater core to be bypassed are it being clogged, or leaking. Otherwise, it wouldn't stop blowing hot, which doesn't seem to be the case with it here.
Another thing to check is the passage into the core is clear, could be another blockage in the duct

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

Tylere543

TDI
2004 jetta BEW
Flushed heater core today. It’s has good flow and not clogged. No sweet smell in cab. It’s not leaking. I got some thinking ahead of me.

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
Flushed heater core today. It’s has good flow and not clogged. No sweet smell in cab. It’s not leaking. I got some thinking ahead of me.

You mean it's not leaking enough to show in your short observation. I would think it got bypassed for a reason.

Mine barely had a leak that the shop I use didn't believe when I told them. I said take it apart anyway and I'll cover the labor if I'm wrong. Once they got in there they could see it was starting to leak at the edges. On long drives with the heat going I was starting to just smell it.

Tylere543

TDI
2004 jetta BEW
Well I bought the car a couple months ago from Florida. I heard a lot of people just bypass it since they don’t use it but I’m not sure because I don’t live in a warm state. Replacing the heater core is the last thing on my todo list. I flushed it for about an hour with water and since I have most of the interior pieces out minus the dash I’d smell or see water dripping.. I let it get the temp and checked the heater hoses and it’s not building pressure like it should I can squeeze the hoses. Lower and upper are hot like they should be.

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
Well I bought the car a couple months ago from Florida. I heard a lot of people just bypass it since they don’t use it but I’m not sure because I don’t live in a warm state. Replacing the heater core is the last thing on my todo list. I flushed it for about an hour with water and since I have most of the interior pieces out minus the dash I’d smell or see water dripping.. I let it get the temp and checked the heater hoses and it’s not building pressure like it should I can squeeze the hoses. Lower and upper are hot like they should be.

Born and raised in Florida myself.
No one goes out of their way to bypass it; it goes bad and leaks and THEN they learn that to be an option.
The northern half of the state; basically Cocoa beach, Orlando and Tampa NORTH is humid and can get cold/freeze(even 40's in FL sucks). Anywhere in those cities or north youll want heat at some point.

So, the blend doors, The metal doors with circles cut out; Have you sealed those circles using a thermal tape or similar?
I thought there was mention of the foam disintegrating, as we ALL have experienced or are experiencing

Last edited:

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
They have no foam left. I’m going to seal them before I put it back together

welp, with the system open, I'd be checking to make sure the knobs are functioning the guts of it. I'd seal the holes on the door, making sure they're sealed well with a quality metal tape. Heater core already checked out as okay. So, I'd button it up and give it real true test. recirculation button illumated(closed), get to full 190 degrees on the dash, continue to drive for acouple more miles/ several more minutes and then see what you got for heat.
If the fans are working, you should be blowing hot air by then.

I say continue to drive after it reaches 190, before testing; I've read(some of documented) that when you hit 190, straight up and down, the cars actual temp can still be as low as 150 but climbing slowly.
With the car in auxiliary you should be able to click the recirculation button on and off and hear of that motor if functioning.

Last edited: