Engine Swap?

02JettaLife

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
So I recently purchased a 2002 Jetta TDI 1.9L
This car is going to be my project car and I am wanting to do some serious upgrades. I was wondering if anyone has ever had an engine swap done on their TDI or if anyone knows of a good engine to look into!

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Spose you could stick a common rail in it, but they're still pretty good money
especially when you've already got a running motor in there
and it'd be just as much of an investment to stick it in a dollar-store gas motor mk4 rather than an ALH car

bobbiemartin

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Tiguan TDI 4Motion, Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD
If you are going to go, GO BIG. How about a Pratt and Whitney 4360? One just sold here. BTW, that 4360 is the cubic inch displacement.
Stock it makes 3800 HP, but with a bit of tuning, I bet you could do better than that. You could end up with something akin to this.

k_pt

Veteran Member
TDI
VW MKIV TDI
So I recently purchased a 2002 Jetta TDI 1.9L
This car is going to be my project car and I am wanting to do some serious upgrades. I was wondering if anyone has ever had an engine swap done on their TDI or if anyone knows of a good engine to look into!
Swap the engine for a PD.
PD150 injectors, if possible, PD150/130 pistons/rods and a bigger turbo and you can reach 250bhp easily.

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...
Swap the engine for a PD.
PD150 injectors, if possible, PD150/130 pistons/rods and a bigger turbo and you can reach 250bhp easily.
You can do that without an engine swap... a 2260 ALH build can get close to 300 for less than a PD swap in which you would still need a comparable turbo on top of the engines cost.

Leave the ALH in there. If you want more than triple the stock power, you wanna look for a different car, not an engine swap.