B5 Wagon glow Plugs code

cobra390t

Veteran Member
TDI
06 VW Jetta BRM 5SPD ,2005 Passat TDI Wagon( SOLD ), 05 Mk4 Golf BEW , 04 MK4 Golf BEW , MPG Who cares It's a Diesel
Last night my wife B5 wagon throw a p0671 code =glow plug#1 fault which is the one at the fire wall . I did not do the Ohm resistance or voltage test yet .

I am collecting information and would like to know How can i identify if it's the ceramic or the steel one to know what i am going to fight with :D. I am not the Original owner and no telling if they were changed at one point with the steel and re flashed the ECU or not so the visual identification is the only way

cobra390t

Veteran Member
TDI
06 VW Jetta BRM 5SPD ,2005 Passat TDI Wagon( SOLD ), 05 Mk4 Golf BEW , 04 MK4 Golf BEW , MPG Who cares It's a Diesel
Well i made the resistance test and connected one lead of my meter to the car ground ( i used the fender bolt ) and the other lead going to the GP started at the rear i registered reading on all 3 but one which cylinder one by TB .

Cyl 4 -1.0 ohm
Cyl 3- 1.0 ohm
Cyl 2 0.9 ohm
Cyl 1 ( I could not pick any reading on my meter , So i switched my meter to K ohms then i was reading .52 Kohm which is real high Vs the other )

Now either i have to face the fact of driving with check Eng or replace GP's to steel and re flash ECM at the dealer for $95

I also notice 2 of my GP plugs rubber boots by the 90 degree bent got cracked and split so i used electrical tape to keep them together( is that ok to do )

What brand of GP should i go with

Last edited:

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
Just go for the 95 buck flash and 44 for four new ngk plugs and have it done with. winter time is no time to fiddle. The cracked rubber isn't of much consequence as long as there is no short to ground, its only 7vdc.

cobra390t

Veteran Member
TDI

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
They are the correct ones, ngk, however you will need the reflash which not only programs the ecm to correct voltage but sets times for afterglow, and a myriad of other updated parameters for other engine functions. There is no savings buying them from other than the VW dealer that does the flash as they would cost you more, with the shipping than the dealer charges at list price. Besides they must be installed at the time of the flash to work correctly.

Redlabel6

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta, 2005 Passat
I ended up pulling one of my plugs out and checking the part number to figure out what I had.

Simple to get the right ones after that!
d

cobra390t

Veteran Member
TDI

cobra390t

Veteran Member
TDI
I ended up pulling one of my plugs out and checking the part number to figure out what I had.

Simple to get the right ones after that!
d

How hard was it to pull them out , From what i been reading it's not hard as much as it's risky :cool:

cobra390t

Veteran Member
TDI
ID parts confirmed that above listed part should work with my BHW . So replacing one plug is all i need .!

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
Cobra the current upgrade ones aren't steel. Original to the car were Bosch ceramic glow plugs. VW then introduced steel tipped ones, which required a flash. They were fine except the stupid cars didn't like to start in subzero weather with those. So...vw had yet another campaign to replaced those and install NGK ceramic plugs with yet another reflash as the voltage went back to the original specifications. That is currently is what is in my car and so far so good, as they say.

cobra390t

Veteran Member
TDI
Cobra the current upgrade ones aren't steel. Original to the car were Bosch ceramic glow plugs. VW then introduced steel tipped ones, which required a flash. They were fine except the stupid cars didn't like to start in subzero weather with those. So...vw had yet another campaign to replaced those and install NGK ceramic plugs with yet another reflash as the voltage went back to the original specifications. That is currently is what is in my car and so far so good, as they say.

uhaaaaa .then all i need is that one plug rated at 7v offered by Id-parts and no flash needed since the OEM run on 7v as well

Unless some one can confirm what is the OEM brand that came installed Bosch or NGK. If they were Bosch then i might have to order 4 NGK to match and no need to flash the computer since they use the 7v

Last edited:

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
There was a recall on the GPs. I had mine replaced and the ECU reflashed for free last summer.

cobra390t

Veteran Member
TDI
There was a recall on the GPs. I had mine replaced and the ECU reflashed for free last summer.

Yah i am not having any luck on that

mopar_earl

TDI
2005 Passat GLS B5.5
Yah i am not having any luck on that
No luck for me either. Sitting at dealer right now, paying to have the flash done. I paid for and installed the glow plugs myself. The warranty on the original recall long expired. 100 bucks for the reflash and 40 bucks for the glow plugs.

Earl

cobra390t

Veteran Member
TDI
No luck for me either. Sitting at dealer right now, paying to have the flash done. I paid for and installed the glow plugs myself. The warranty on the original recall long expired. 100 bucks for the reflash and 40 bucks for the glow plugs.

Earl

i choose to do them my self with NGK Part Number: N10591609 which is 7v that not required any flash and that what VW went back 2 from the 5v

mopar_earl

TDI
2005 Passat GLS B5.5
uhaaaaa .then all i need is that one plug rated at 7v offered by Id-parts and no flash needed since the OEM run on 7v as well

Unless some one can confirm what is the OEM brand that came installed Bosch or NGK. If they were Bosch then i might have to order 4 NGK to match and no need to flash the computer since they use the 7v
From what I've been reading, the new flash is worth the 100.00. Better smoother cold starts. Most say better fuel economy with the flash as well. Some say the engine idles smoother after as well.
You want to get rid of the original 7v ceramic plugs as they like to break off and fall in the cylinder and destroy the cylinder. The 5v ones are crap if you live where it gets cold.

Earl

cobra390t

Veteran Member
TDI
http://www.1stvwparts.com/ have these glow plugs N10591609 @ $6.75 a plug :D Not sure how but i ordered 4 of them i should order more

cobra390t

Veteran Member
TDI
I bought my NGK's at the dealer for under 40 for the 4. Don't have my invoice on me right now. They were 8 something each.

Earl
What is the part # please . I would like to know so i can deiced i guess .I would rather to go the steel route but now one can clear it for me

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
You bought the new ceramic update plugs. If you have the original ceramic plugs, I think they work but not as well as with the updated flash. Not sure how well they work, if you have the steel plugs. If you have the original ceramic plugs, I would just replace the broken one and wait for warmer weather to replace the others. If you break off a tip of one of the other plugs, you may have to pull the head. This was one of the issues of the original plugs.

There are no issues with the new ceramic plugs, but if you find you currently have steel, and have had no cold starting issues, replacing with steel prevents you from needing the reflash. I have steel plugs with an RC tune and have never had a problem even with temps a few degrees below 0 F.

cobra390t

Veteran Member
TDI
All the glow plugs are OEM never been replaced or any flashing been done . I rather do it right , I thought choosing a GP should be much simpler than that . But I was mistaken

I just need to figure this mess out

As far as the GP I ordered my friend is going to take them so I am not worry about those

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Not much to think about on this one. get your car reflashed and ngk's installed.

Redlabel6

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta, 2005 Passat
How hard was it to pull them out , From what i been reading it's not hard as much as it's risky :cool:
It was about a ten minute job on my BHW. It takes about as long to pull the engine cover as it did to pull the glow plug. Deep well 10mm socket is about all you need to pull one.
Make sure the socket is on it square, mine came out with very little torque one they broke loose they came out easily.
d

cobra390t

Veteran Member
TDI
Can you re code and flash the ECM with Ross tech ? to the correct Voltage values

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
All the glow plugs are OEM never been replaced or any flashing been done . I rather do it right , I thought choosing a GP should be much simpler than that . But I was mistaken

I just need to figure this mess out

As far as the GP I ordered my friend is going to take them so I am not worry about those
The plugs you bought are the correct ones. You can't, and do not want to buy the exact plugs that are in there now, and if you buy steel plugs you need to get a tune from a tuner.

cobra390t

Veteran Member
TDI
The plugs you bought are the correct ones. You can't, and do not want to buy the exact plugs that are in there now, and if you buy steel plugs you need to get a tune from a tuner.
that is what the hole thing about

Ceramic VS steel

7v VS 5v

cobra390t

Veteran Member
TDI
I think you're making this more complicated than it needs to be.

The glow plugs come in 3 variants.

The original 7 volt ceramics that were prone to breakage and recalled. These were used with the original ECM flash which will display part number 038 997 016R when scanned.

5 volt steel glow plugs and an ECM reflash were installed in most cars to replace these original failure prone ceramics. The glow plugs are part number N105 916 07. The ECM was flashed and the part number will show up as 038 997 016N when scanned. These glow plugs caused some starting issues in cold weather and the campaign was abruptly stopped.

A new extended warranty was offered to those with either the original ceramics or the "new" bosch steels. If a customer complained of starting issues or glow plug faults a set of new NGK hybrid ceramic 7 volt glow plugs, part number N109 916 09, and another reflash were installed that worked very well. The ECM part number after this flash will be 038 997 016T. This is the most up to date setup and these are the only glow plugs that you can currently buy at your dealer.

I have found that the new N105 916 09 glow plugs can be installed and work quite well in a car with the original ceramic flash (ECM part number 038 997 016R) as long as they are installed in complete sets. replacing only 1 will set a glow plug fault.

That said, I'd pay the dealer for the reflash and the new hybrid ceramics. Should cost about $150 all in. There are some additional drivability improvements with the new ECM software that you will probably like as well.

Well it looks like i was on the right track at one point when i choose to go with the N105 916 09 7v NGK Ceramic .

If i do replace them my self and request from my local dealer to flash my ECM to the latest version to gain that additional driveability improvement will they know what version ? What is the version that i should request

Thanks for clarifying all that info

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
My car has started very nicely in sub-zero F weather with the latest version of glow plugs and of course the tune that VW put in. It does rattle a bit if it was not plugged in, but the thing is the beast starts. Tonight, mine will be plugged in. No sense messing with mother nature.

mopar_earl

TDI
2005 Passat GLS B5.5
I paid $38.08 out the door for my NGK's at the dealer. $8.98 each plus 6% sales tax in MD The flash cost me $99.00 out the door.

Earl

Last edited: