Jetta Rental

TNriverjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6MT
I had a week of work in New Orleans recently and asked the rental counter for something "fun" to drive since I was to be there for 4 days. I was given a choice...:D a Mazda 3, Dodge something or another (don't remember the model b/c I was so bored with the list so far) OR a VW Jetta!!!

I took the Jetta, albeit the base model, it was still a better choice than the others! I did miss my TDI JSW, but the week of driving was at least bearable. The 2.5 does have pretty good power. I didn't like the transmission so much, but it worked fine.

If you rent a car at the MSY Avis location, ask for a Jetta!

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
The base model would have the 2.0, not the 2.5. So slow you'd still be driving on your way back to the rental counter :D

Just kidding, it's not THAT slow, but it won't win any races either.

TNriverjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6MT
The base model would have the 2.0, not the 2.5. So slow you'd still be driving on your way back to the rental counter :D

Just kidding, it's not THAT slow, but it won't win any races either.
Sorry for the oversight on the base engine. Now that you mention it, I don't remember seeing a 2.5 badge on the trunk lid... Probably was the 2.0

Cogen Man

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG.
Was given a 2011 Jetta gasser 2.5 as a loner for a week from the dealership. While my brand new 2011 Golf TDI was getting a new paint job. Don't ask.:mad:Wasn't too bad a car. Glad to get the diesel back. :D

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Speaking of rentals, my wife's B5.5 Passat is in the shop for body work (replacement of two front fenders and rear trunk lid, @ 229,000 km and 7 years due to rust, on VW's dime). My rental is a Dodge Avenger. What a serious piece of crap; 4-cyl, sounds terrible.

And while most car companies try to make an SUV handle like a car, Chrysler has succeeded at making a car handle like an SUV. My wife is currently driving my Golf, but as of tomorrow SHE gets to drive the Avenger for the next couple of days and I get my Golf back (and probably get to sleep on the couch...)

Actually, she often complains about the cost of maintaining VWs. Hopefully the Avenger experience will make her appreciate our VWs more...

I still, however, have to get this piece of crap home tonight, 98 kms. I'd better be alert, the crate wanders like a drunken sailor.

Last edited: