Call me crazy! New member of the V10 family.

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
Man all you new Toureg owners have me jealous. My friend did just traded in his 2011 with 98k. Now I'm thinking I should go look at it.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Man all you new Toureg owners have me jealous. My friend did just traded in his 2011 with 98k. Now I'm thinking I should go look at it.
Auto show is in one week. Just enough time to buy a Touareg to play with in the snow! ;)

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
Haha, busy/expensive month for me. Treg may have to wait til next month. Bought an O1E LSD and putting it in at Whitbreads that weekend and picking up my monster motor.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I just got a PM from the original owner, which I have to say is a very cool thing. This community is great. :)

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Are you going to Dent King the door?
Yep. I'll probably have the guy who comes to Impex do it if they do another spring GTG this year. There are a few other minor dings that will get taken care of at the same time.

Overall, the body on this thing is in really good shape.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Dent king removed two on my car. One that gouged the rear side manel (way obvious, now way gone) and one that I was beginning to think that only I could see on the hood. Nope, they got it! i will use them again! :cool:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
So the noise that I thought was a front wheel bearing isn't a wheel bearing at all. It's a bad bearing (or bearings) in the front differential. So that has to come out and either be rebuilt or replaced before the truck gets driven any sort of distance. $$$$

On the plus side, all of the headlights are fully functional now. The problem wasn't a bulb or a ballast - it was just a harness that wasn't plugging in all the way. I little persuasion and it clicked right in. :cool:

Last edited:

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Does it use the same differential that's in the gasser version. I hope it's not a special order for the v10. You might want to give Ryan a call he might have better luck tracking one down for you.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
The plan is to have my shop look at it on Wednesday and see what they think.

From what I can tell, it's the same as some V6 TDIs and Hybrid, but not the gasser V6 or gasser V8.

It's also the same as some (presumably the V6 TDI) Porsche Cayennes, which is available as a reman, although the price difference isn't that much.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Thanks. To anyone else with a Touareg, I would advise regular differential oil changes (on all three diffs), despite VW's claim of a "lifetime fill." In this particular case, a lifetime is apparently ~140,000 miles. :rolleyes:

Jmmybuckles

TDI
05.5 jetta
Thanks. To anyone else with a Touareg, I would advise regular differential oil changes (on all three diffs), despite VW's claim of a "lifetime fill." In this particular case, a lifetime is apparently ~140,000 miles. :rolleyes:
I was looking for that T-reg. Went up there yesterday while it was closed.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
You can't have it, it's mine! ;)

There's a real beater V10 at Ted Britt Chevrolet in Sterling that got traded in on a 2007 V10 that they had. I'd stay far away from it though - check engine light, emissions workshop codes, aftermarket wheels with no keys, interior soft touch paint is pretty beat up, headlights are flickering, and to top it off they think it's worth well north of $10K ($13K is the price they told me... LOL). My understanding is they're getting it "ready" for auction. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
I was going ask if the diff oil ever been changed. Over on the TR club they said make sure rotate the tires. It can rebuild it pinon gear and bearings are still good. Full time four wheel put a lot pressure on the diff bearings.

kazzx

TDI
2004 Touareg
What causes the headlights to flicker? I just noticed my passenger side headlight started flickering when I was at a stop sign last night.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
What causes the headlights to flicker? I just noticed my passenger side headlight started flickering when I was at a stop sign last night.
If your headlight bulbs are original, I would start by replacing them. D1S lamps are $50-100 each depending on if you buy Philips or Sylvania and where you get them from.

If the ballasts are going bad (unlikely), then that will set you back about $500 each, as the ballasts are also the leveling controllers.

While you have the fixtures out replacing the low beams, go ahead and replace all of the other lamps at the same time. Might as well knock it all out at once.

mjhandy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
If your headlight bulbs are original, I would start by replacing them. D1S lamps are $50-100 each depending on if you buy Philips or Sylvania and where you get them from.
If the ballasts are going bad (unlikely), then that will set you back about $500 each, as the ballasts are also the leveling controllers.
While you have the fixtures out replacing the low beams, go ahead and replace all of the other lamps at the same time. Might as well knock it all out at once.
I'm planning on doing this exact thing in the spring. Already did the h7 turning bulbs. And i'll do the rear lights too.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Another thing to check with the headlights is that the harness connector doesn't always like to seat completely, which can result in some of the lights not responding. If you get a light that doesn't work when you put the lights back in, look in through the back and make sure that the wiring connector is fully seated.

mjhandy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
Another thing to check with the headlights is that the harness connector doesn't always like to seat completely, which can result in some of the lights not responding. If you get a light that doesn't work when you put the lights back in, look in through the back and make sure that the wiring connector is fully seated.
I change the steering light on the passenger side. That took two hours. In the cold. I didn't do the driver's since i couldn't get the boot off and didn't want to force it too much. Part of my spring list is to change all the bulbs and keep the old ones as spares.

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS, 2015 Golf TDI
Congrats VeeDub! I just found this thread. It is nice to see an enthusiast take the plunge on the V10.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Diff just arrived. It is the correct part and looks to be in very good condition. Let's go ahead and call it nearly new.