www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old November 1st, 2011, 17:07   #1
AKFatBoy

TDI(s): 02 Jetta GLS
Default Help! Tranny cooler failure!

In the ongoing saga of TDI ownership, yet one more problem...
Apparently, the tranny cooler had an internal failure and mixed fluid with coolant. Can I just flush and refill, repair the cooler and press on, or do I need another trans? If so, which years can I get the donor from to ensure proper operation with the 02 TDI drivertrain?
AKFatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2011, 19:21   #2
AARodriguez Corp.
TDIClub Enthusiast
Vendor
w/Business number

Though this is not a definitive answer, a friend with a 1.9 2002 had this happen also. I don't know what all was done except that the transmission was ruined and had to be replaced.
Old November 1st, 2011, 22:38   #3
chromeBuddha
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47 mpg @ 75 mph

Try a flush on both systems after the leak is fixed. Then probably a 2nd flush on the tranny. If it works, go with it. If you do replace the tranny, consider a 5-speed swap.
"El Bonbon" - The Marshmallow
chromeBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2011, 00:54   #4
AKFatBoy

TDI(s): 02 Jetta GLS

I had thought about the 5 speed, but don't have the skill set required to do it myself. I think the local shop up here said that if they could find a wrecked car they could do it for about $5000. They seem to be adamant that the donor is a 2002 TDI, apparently you can't just throw a manual out of a gasoline car in there(?).
AKFatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2011, 01:21   #5
chromeBuddha
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47 mpg @ 75 mph

I believe you can use the 5-speed out of any 99.5-2003 TDI, but yes, it does have to be from a TDI, not a gasser. The ratios are so different you would be defeating the purpose of having a diesel because you would be revving so high.

$5k? For that money you should just drive it down here and have someone do it for you while you take a cruise... Probably not worth the $ at that point...
"El Bonbon" - The Marshmallow
chromeBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2011, 20:40   #6
AARodriguez Corp.
TDIClub Enthusiast
Vendor
w/Business number

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromeBuddha View Post
I believe you can use the 5-speed out of any 99.5-2003 TDI, but yes, it does have to be from a TDI, not a gasser. The ratios are so different you would be defeating the purpose of having a diesel because you would be revving so high.

$5k? For that money you should just drive it down here and have someone do it for you while you take a cruise... Probably not worth the $ at that point...

$5k??? Shoot, I'd get a 6 speed kit from Ryan in the U.K. and have it installed by a professional for less than that I bet.
Old November 2nd, 2011, 20:57   #7
davidm2232
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Hoping for 30MPG

i did the swap on my 2003 jetta with parts from a 99.5 tdi. everything fit fine. $5000 is over double what you should be paying. i got all the parts i needed for about $1500. http://www.kansascitytdi.com/, this guy only charges $800 for labor. your shop is ripping you off or they aren't very knowledgeable about the process. my advice is to flush both systems thourghly and hope for the best. if you knew the abuse my 01m was put through by the previous owner, you would be questioning how bad they are. update us after the flush.
davidm2232 is offline   Reply With Quote