Windshield Washer........

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
06 Jetta Package2
Top Up windshield washer fluid light came on yesterday........
I filled it . This AM the warning light came on again......
I topped it when I got to work and ended up with a big puddle on the ground. I don't know if the tank split or a hose froze and broke.....
I was using -20 WW Fluid....
It has been in the teens here for several days
Looking at the Bentley the front Bumper cover has to come off to replace.
Car is under warranty although I hate having to take it in.......
Anyone else have this problem??:(

AlexR

Had the same problem on wife's Passat. it was a small plastic connector holding the tube to the tank. From what I recall it was a quick $15 dealer fix.

AlexR

GregoryB

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2006, Platinum Grey, Package2, DSG, VAG-COM
My problem was the crap plastic hose where it bends near the passenger side front hood hinge. The hings had partially sheered the plastic tube and the wires going to the heaters on the Window Washer nozzles was severed. - Advise dealer to fix at next service. Replace plastic hose with rubber fuel filter line sold by the foot at the dealership. Also armour the piece near the hinge with split plastic conduit protector and zip tie together.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
I too had a problem with the hose breaking at the hood hinge...But

that is not your problem... Look for a rubber? plug in the resevoir

side that has come loose or broken. This might be where the headlight

washer outlet goes... or not. Sorry I don't have a better answer!!

Bill

Tim Birney

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 TDI
GregoryB said:
My problem was the crap plastic hose where it bends near the passenger side front hood hinge. The hings had partially sheered the plastic tube and the wires going to the heaters on the Window Washer nozzles was severed. - Advise dealer to fix at next service. Replace plastic hose with rubber fuel filter line sold by the foot at the dealership. Also armour the piece near the hinge with split plastic conduit protector and zip tie together.
As Greg pointed out to me, my assembly is cracked, and on its way to self destruction.
Hopefully I can make it to late April before I have to perform surgery on the beast.

Thanks Guido!

jccgmn

TDI
2003 Jetta SW, 2005 Jetta SW, 2006 Beetle, 2006 Beetle, 2015 Golf SW
I had a similar problem. Last weekend, on my way back from Hinkley I cleared my windows and the light came on. I got home and it took a gallon to fill. The light went out, but since than, I haven't had enough flow to clear the windshield.

My car is going back in next week for a new heater fan and gear shift knob. Maybe I will have them take a look at this also.

John, 2006 Wheat TDI, 5 Spd Manual

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Oh yeah the '65 'cuda has the same problem. I sure hope the stealer will help me!

WalletBoy

This happened to me today as well! We have been experiencing cold temps here in Michigan over the last few weeks. Today we were supposed to get hammered by a snowstorm so I picked up two bottles of blue. When I left work I topped off the tank and started on my way. I noticed that when I was using the washers there was only a low pressure stream coming out of the pissers. At first I thought the pump had lost it's prime so I just kept them on for a few bursts. Then the low fluid light pops on! I pulled over and popped the hood and sure enough the line had snapped at the passenger side hood hinge. Why did they made this piece out of hard plastic?! My guess is that the line has some play to allow the hood to open and close, as when I pulled on the broken line to get some slack it came out quite a bit. It appears that it was frozen somewhere on the hood side, and I opened my hood it snapped that piece right in half. Right now I made a quickie repair using a small piece of vacuum line and a couple of zip ties. That really gets my goat. Hopefully this gets remedied with an upgraded design. Any idea on how long it takes the dealer to replace this part?

Tim Birney

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 TDI
WalletBoy said:
This happened to me today as well! We have been experiencing cold temps here in Michigan over the last few weeks. Today we were supposed to get hammered by a snowstorm so I picked up two bottles of blue. When I left work I topped off the tank and started on my way. I noticed that when I was using the washers there was only a low pressure stream coming out of the pissers. At first I thought the pump had lost it's prime so I just kept them on for a few bursts. Then the low fluid light pops on! I pulled over and popped the hood and sure enough the line had snapped at the passenger side hood hinge. Why did they made this piece out of hard plastic?! My guess is that the line has some play to allow the hood to open and close, as when I pulled on the broken line to get some slack it came out quite a bit. It appears that it was frozen somewhere on the hood side, and I opened my hood it snapped that piece right in half. Right now I made a quickie repair using a small piece of vacuum line and a couple of zip ties. That really gets my goat. Hopefully this gets remedied with an upgraded design. Any idea on how long it takes the dealer to replace this part?
You just made the only upgrade that part will ever see. When it gets warmer, go back under the hood and make it pretty.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I just looked again and the hose at the right side of the hood is broken......
It is junk......
I temp fixed mine! and it is now working.....I used a piece of clear Lawn Mower fuel line over the broken ends and wire tied it as was done above.....

The VW part # is 1J0955751D for that factory corrugated pipe if anyone cares....

Last edited:

hellandj

TDI
2013 Passat SEL DSG
I also had this problem happen on my Jetta I opened up the hood to check the oil and "SNAP" broke right in two this may have been because in North Dakota it as been in the teens to twentied below zero the last few weeks but still this hose should be rubber I go in tommorrow to get this replaced I can reply back and let people know how long it takes

06 Jetta TDI package 1

Ry-dog

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportswagen
Frozen Nozzles!

My nozzles wouldn't squirt - very cold here in New England. Confirmed that nozzles are frozen. Disassembled and used heat gun to thaw out and they worked fine, only to freeze up again 20 minutes later.

Tried to use heat gun again this morning to thaw them out, but the nozzle broke off - too cold and cheap hard plastic not a good mix.

Called dealership to see about upgrading to heated nozzles - they told me I had to buy a new wiring harness to accomodate this - $5,000 for the harness alone. There has got to be a cheaper way - I know I can make a harness pretty easily, but I don't know the particulars to DIY style.

Any have info on how to do your own heated nozzle upgrade?

Gavin_1

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW
I forget where did the heated washers come with, was it part of teh winter package...heated seats/side mirrors?

jaz761

TDI
06 A5 0 5M
More of the same...

My washer fluid line was sheared in two by the hinge also. I used a piece of surgical tubing and duct tape to join the two ends. Unfortunately re-filling the washer fluid necessitates opening the hood...

My surgical tubing looks like a better (more flexible at least) solution. Hope it lasts.

Jeff

------
06 Pkg 0 5-spd

hellandj

TDI
2013 Passat SEL DSG
well I was going to post how long it took to get my hose replaced this weekend but I guess the dealership doesn't trust me to tell them the hose is broken in two so they neglected to inform me the part was not in stock so I get to wait for them to call me so I can go in again (I live an hour from the dealership)

on another note anyone know of a GOOD volkswagon repair place in the south east corner of North Dakota because I could really use one

njkayaker

Veteran Member
My washer hose broke near the hinge also (2006 Jetta).

I don't think it was sheared by the hinge.

I suspect that frozen fluid makes the tube too rigded and it breaks when the hood is opened. It looks like, in my case, there isn't enough slack in the tube.

I've never had this problem with any other car.

Tim Birney

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 TDI
njkayaker said:
My washer hose broke near the hinge also (2006 Jetta).

I don't think it was sheared by the hinge.

I suspect that frozen fluid makes the tube too rigded and it breaks when the hood is opened. It looks like, in my case, there isn't enough slack in the tube.

I've never had this problem with any other car.
Very interesting.
The first report of this issue (via E-Mail) that I was made aware of, was from a fellow that was running a 50/50 mix of fluid (50% water, and 50% fluid).

njkayaker

Veteran Member
Tim Birney said:
Very interesting.
The first report of this issue (via E-Mail) that I was made aware of, was from a fellow that was running a 50/50 mix of fluid (50% water, and 50% fluid).
I'm not sure that it was frozen (I was speculating). It did have the original VW washer fluid at the time. It's possible that the problem is that the hoses become inflexible at low temperatures. It did reach -14'F at the time.

What is clear is that it appears to be a design flaw.

BMac

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI
Had mine replaced a few weeks ago. Opened hood to fill low fluid and snap. Post repair I checked the job and it appears that they run the line up the outside of the hinge (orig. ran on inside) and reinforced with tape. Checked 2007s and they have line run similar to my new setup.

Cheers

gixxer1000

TDI
06 Jetta TDI 5-spd
Went to wash my windshield on Thursday I could smell washer fluid but nothing was hitting the windshield. I opened the hood and the hose was ripped in two by the hinge it must have happened when I checked the oil. I couldn't even pull the hoses back together there wasn't enough slack in the line. The roads here are always salted and icy its a safety hazard not to have the washer work. This sucks the nearest vw dealership is 4 hours away. I found a 3 inch hose connector at Napa that will work for now. Those of you who had it fixed by the dealership did you have any more problems with it?

R-Sixxer

Veteran Member
TDI
06 1.9L
Funny story. I go to fill my wash fluid and i notice my hinge hose is cracked. Taking it in on wednesday. This will be my cars FIRST trip back to the dealership, in a year and a half, for anything problem related.

R-Sixxer

Veteran Member
TDI
06 1.9L
Sarcasm or not, it's a minor part that's casing big annoyances. This thing was clearly overlooked during the engineering stages. Or whoever purchased the material did infact go to purchasing school, so they had no idea what they needed to buy, but knew they had to buy somthing.