Particulate filter; is this what we'll have in the new Jetta?

BanzaiRider

TDI
None yet
Hum, after reading the article below I'm a bit confused. My technical knowledge is quite limited but from what I could understand up to now, the new Jetta will be using a particulate filter, unlike the Passat which will have another system called BlueMotion.

Now, if the Jetta has a particulate filter, will it be like what is described in the article? Will be have to go through a cycle every tank and run the engine above a certain speed for 20 minutes min to burn the bad stuff? Man, this is not too good if it's true!

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/jk/070509.htm

Thanks for helping me understand all this.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
That was on a Chevy truck, and it was probably representative of what all those trucks (e.g. light-duty pickups) will have. And, it is implemented for 2007.

VW is not offering a diesel for 2007, the TDIs in that model year were all manufactured prior to 2007. Or the engines were, or some such definitive mandated by the EPA.

What VW has stated is that they will be using the Bluetec system Mercedes has developed, and that uses urea injection. This system is supposed to meet tier 2 bin 5 (IIRC) levels that have been set in place in their quest for breathable exhaust.

Within this system, there will be cycles that burn off accumulated soot as well as clean out the NOx catalyst, and assuredly there will be a hit to mpg that happens for this system. But it probably won't impact you that badly. Any car manufacturer will do everything they can such that, aside from refilling the urea tank, and making sure the correct fuel and oils are used, owning a car with that system is as transparent (meaning you won't have to think about it) as is humanly (mechanically?) possible.

I would figure that if any warning light were to be lit for this, it would be informative rather than requiring you to drive for 20 minutes at a high rate of speed. It would inform you so that you know why it is suddenly not so fast or appears to have less power. This would be important so that the dealerships are not overwhelmed with people requesting service when they really don't need it.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
There is a bit of confusion in the above posts ...

"Bluetec" is a marketing name for an integrated, but *application specific*, diesel exhaust aftertreatment system. It MAY or MAY NOT include diesel particulate filter, NOx trap, or SCR NOx aftertreatment, and/or oxidizing catalysts.

The version of Bluetec that VW will be using on the 2008 Jetta DOES NOT require urea injection, because it uses a de-NOx catalyst that does not require this.

The version of Bluetec in that car WILL include a particulate trap, as described in the quoted article. It will also include an oxidizing catalyst. Yes, the 2008 Jetta is going to have three catalytic converters: one for NOx, one for particulates, and one for HC/CO. Some of them may be installed in the same housing; the exact arrangement we don't know yet, but these are the three functions that will be provided.

YES, the de-NOx catalyst and the particulate trap both require regeneration cycles. YES, if the driver's driving habits aren't enough to initiate catalyst regeneration (i.e. too slow and too little load), the engine controls will intervene to artificially raise the exhaust temperature and make the exhaust stream richer to get the catalysts regenerating. YES, this is going to use extra fuel, which is why I don't put any credibility to the claims that the common-rail TDI is going to get 60 mpg as has been claimed (unofficially) elsewhere.

I spoke with a guy who works for Freightliner this past weekend. The 2007 emissions regulations are killing them; they just laid off more than a thousand workers. Truck fleet operators stocked up on older models in advance of the new regulations, and now they're not buying.

Guess what ... I did the same, by buying my 2006 model when I did, so that I wouldn't have to deal with all that crap.

Last edited:

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
I can tell you that on the Chevy P/U's the particle filter, not counting any of the sensors, is over $1000.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Yup, and I don't think the pickups will be using the de-NOx catalysts yet, which will add even more. I'm not 100% sure but I don't think the big rigs are using de-NOx yet, either. They'll probably need that in 2010 when the heavy-duty regulations change again. The truck manufacturers will go through another busy-then-dead cycle in 2009 - 2010 because of this ... I betcha a lot of truck operators are going to keep their pre-2007 rigs going as long as possible ...

Rexking414

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta
Yep, GoFaster is correct. The Jetta uses Blutec but won't have urea injection. The passat on the otherhand if it does pass emissions, pretty much is they have the engnine ready, they haven't tested it though, they think it will but they should test it. Anyways, i read that it will have Blutec with Urea injection. I read that the tiguan and touareg won't though. I'm guessing it has to do with their classes?

wxman

Veteran Member
TDI
Other Diesel
GoFaster said:
Yup, and I don't think the pickups will be using the de-NOx catalysts yet, which will add even more....
Brian - actually the 2007.5 Dodge Ram with the 6.7 liter Cummins is using a de-NOx catalyst (NAC) and meets the 2010 HD emission standards. See http://www.dieselnet.com/news/2007/01daimler.php .

The Cummins 6.7 with “BlueTec” is now more than a $7000 option according to Kelly Blue Book, which is almost $2000 more than the 5.9 option previously.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Ahh yes, thanks for the reminder, I recall hearing that the 6.7 Cummins was the first production diesel engine in that market range to meet the 2010 standards. $ $ $ ! ! !