Vagcom?

higgledy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf TDI (buyback)
What exactly is a vagcom and how is it different than a code reader the guy at Auto Zone uses to read a code? Do I need to buy one?

Soul777Toast

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
One of the things that I love the most about VW is the amount of control and the detail of information that they allow access to through the OBDII port. Everything from changing the behavior of the electronics in the car to monitoring engine diagnostics in real time is possible, it's really quite astounding. However, the only way to gain access to any of it is with a VAG-COM cable. While a standard OBDII reader will certainly let you read fault codes, if you want to enable features like rolling up or down all the windows with the keyfob remotely, turning on or off the seatbelt chime, changing the number of turn signal blinks when you tap the control stalk, or any of 100 others, you need a VAG-COM. With a VAG-COM you can graph your turbo boost pressure or exhaust gas temperature in real time as you drive the car, I think you'd have some trouble doing THAT with an AutoZone OBDII reader ;P

Anyway, you get the idea! Before you go out and drop $250-$400 on one though, see if you can find someone local to check it out with. There's a map over on VWVortex of people who own VAG-COM's and are willing to help others out with them, see if you can find someone and give it a whirl and then you can decide if it's something you really need! Personally, I'm just saving up and waiting for a decent deal on a used one for myself, and in the meantime I've got someone local who's been nice enough to help me out.

Here's the link to the map: http://www.maptive.com/ver3/VCDS_Locator

Good luck!

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
No you don't actually need VCDS. If you are like most folks, you won't even understand what it does compared to a generic OBD2 scanner.

If you want to actually understand what VCDS can tell you, then VCDS would be indispensable. Using VCDS to it's capability requires that you educate yourself on how a modern digitally controlled car functions.

Analogeezer

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen 6MT
I just did my first VCDS session and wow this thing is great!

It is VERY deep, and you probably don't need/want it unless you are pretty into working on cars and the mechanical/electronic sides of things.

Compared to a basic code reader VCDS would be like a spaceship compared to a paper airplane, you can reset OBD-II codes with it but that is like using a machine gun to get mosquitoes.

I'm having a problem (posted in another thread) with my driver's side seat heater being on, at a low level, not actually on setting 1 but enough to be really annoying.

The dealer just futzed around with it, could not "duplicate the problem", I am hoping to scan it tomorrow and possibly find a fault code with the module that controls the seat heat.

Anyway I was messing around and did something stupid; disconnected a wire/connector by the front of the seat that looked like it was for the heater; bad move it triggered an airbag warning light that stayed on even after I reconnected it AND disconnected the battery and reconnected.

Hooked up an old laptop (VCDS will actually run on an OS as old as Windows 2000, so my old XP laptop was perfect) and scanned the airbags module, it found the code and I cleared it.

Yeah it's pretty expensive at $370 shipped but I'm betting the dealer would have charged me $200 to fix this, just because they would know I was ******* with it; of course HAD THEY FIXED THE PROBLEM then I wouldn't have been messing with it.

As far as a code reader, don't waste your time with one, get a cable or a wireless module for your ODB-II port and a phone app, I have several of them, including something called Dash Command that has a bazillion other functions, there are free code readers/reset functions that are free or like a dollar.

Again, VCDS from my limited experience is very deep, but could come in handy if you are having issues and the dealer is too lazy to actually scan the car.....

Analogeezer

Analogeezer

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen 6MT
What exactly is a vagcom and how is it different than a code reader the guy at Auto Zone uses to read a code? Do I need to buy one?
BTW I see you are in MD, I work in Reston, VA not sure where you work but I'd be willing to show you how it works sometime during lunch hour if it worked out, PM me some time.....

I do get over to MD sometimes but not real often, OTOH if you live close to Chuck Levins (it's a famous music store) that might give me an excuse to go over there :D

Analogeezer

Soul777Toast

Veteran Member
TDI
Finally bit the bullet and ordered a new VCDS Micro-CAN, man I can't wait for this thing to get here! Of course, about 2 hours after I ordered it, someone over on the Vortex posted one up for $175 shipped! ARRGGGHH!!! THE AGONY!!! I still tried to get it thinking I could cancel my order for the new one, but I was about 2 minutes too late! Story of my life!! Sigh...

Anyway, I'm still super excited to really dig into my JSW, can't wait to start playing around in earnest!

I'll mention that to any of you who own one and like helping people out, you would be doing a real public service by submitting your info to the VCDS locator map, especially if you're in an area that's less populated or doesn't have a ton of entries. As soon as I get mine it's one of the first things I plan on doing, there's only one other person on there within 50 miles of me and he never answers any emails :p I can't tell you how many times I've been in need of a VAG-COM and wished that there were more people on that thing...

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
^^I'm not an expert, but I think you still have to pay for a license if you buy a used cable.

Soul777Toast

Veteran Member
TDI
No, the cable itself acts as a dongle that activates the software. You only need to pay for a software license if you buy a third party cable (most of which don't work 99% of the time). I believe you also need to if you have a REAALLY old Ross-Tech cable. With any of the current official Ross-Tech VCDS cables you just download the software for free and it's the cable that allows you to use it, which is why any other OBDII - USB cable won't work :p

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
^^I'm not an expert, but I think you still have to pay for a license if you buy a used cable.
Not exactly. The license is in the cable. However, in order to be eligible for direct tech support from Ross-Tech or to be eligible for cable upgrades, you must be the registered owner of the interface cable. Transferring the registration costs $99. If you do not need to upgrade the interface (to a HEX+CAN) and you do not need direct support from Ross-Tech, registration is not required.

Have Fun!

Don

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
I concur. I recently had an issue with my Micro Can and since I was the original owner I was able to get a replacement and even upgraded to a Hex Can for a reasonable price. It has already paid off. I have a friend with a 2001 Audi and I was able to help him with a check engine light whereas I couldn't before with the Micro Can. Well worth the money. I have had one for over 7 years and will not leave home without it as I drive 30k a year on average.

mctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
With it you can also do things like prime the electric fuel pump (s) when changing the fuel filter.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
With it you can also do things like prime the electric fuel pump (s) when changing the fuel filter.
Higgledy may not know why this is important...

Air in the fuel filter holder/cannister should be purged (using VAG-COM) before you start your TDI after fuel filter replacement. This is a remarkably simple operation with VAG-COM, but it ensures that your fuel pump will have fuel ALWAYS in contact with the pump serfaces. This extends HPFP life expectancy (or at least prevents premature damage/failure).

Yes, there are many other things you can tweak/adjust, and it is exceptionally useful for diagnosing problems when your TDI throws codes at you.

Then again, if you have no time, or are not willing to dig into it, just pay a mechanic instead.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I'll mention that to any of you who own one and like helping people out, you would be doing a real public service by submitting your info to the VCDS locator map, especially if you're in an area that's less populated or doesn't have a ton of entries. As soon as I get mine it's one of the first things I plan on doing, there's only one other person on there within 50 miles of me and he never answers any emails :p I can't tell you how many times I've been in need of a VAG-COM and wished that there were more people on that thing...
I have not listed mine since I'm uncomfortable with playing around at this level in someone else's car. I have helped one coworker and know of others at work that I could help. At least then it's easier to fix a problem I may have created.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Not exactly. The license is in the cable. However, in order to be eligible for direct tech support from Ross-Tech or to be eligible for cable upgrades, you must be the registered owner of the interface cable. Transferring the registration costs $99. If you do not need to upgrade the interface (to a HEX+CAN) and you do not need direct support from Ross-Tech, registration is not required.

Have Fun!

Don
Thank you for the clarification Don! I knew there was something. I've seen many times when people contacted Ross-Tech and received help, so that's a good thing for sure.

I have a cable. I already saved the cost of the cable by fixing some issues with my TPMS that would have cost me that much if I had gone to the dealer. It also helped me with an issue with my son's car. In general, I think it's nice to see for yourself what's wrong with the car even if you don't actually do the repairs yourself.

higgledy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf TDI (buyback)
No you don't actually need VCDS. If you are like most folks, you won't even understand what it does compared to a generic OBD2 scanner.

If you want to actually understand what VCDS can tell you, then VCDS would be indispensable. Using VCDS to it's capability requires that you educate yourself on how a modern digitally controlled car functions.

Learning how a computer controls the modern is of great interest to me. Can you recommend any sites or books to get me started? Thanks.

higgledy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf TDI (buyback)
BTW I see you are in MD, I work in Reston, VA not sure where you work but I'd be willing to show you how it works sometime during lunch hour if it worked out, PM me some time.....

I do get over to MD sometimes but not real often, OTOH if you live close to Chuck Levins (it's a famous music store) that might give me an excuse to go over there :D

Analogeezer
sent pm

higgledy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf TDI (buyback)
Higgledy may not know why this is important...
Air in the fuel filter holder/cannister should be purged (using VAG-COM) before you start your TDI after fuel filter replacement. This is a remarkably simple operation with VAG-COM, but it ensures that your fuel pump will have fuel ALWAYS in contact with the pump serfaces. This extends HPFP life expectancy (or at least prevents premature damage/failure).
Yes, there are many other things you can tweak/adjust, and it is exceptionally useful for diagnosing problems when your TDI throws codes at you.
Then again, if you have no time, or are not willing to dig into it, just pay a mechanic instead.
I thought all diesels had to have there fuel line primed to rid air from the line. Where is the fuel pump in my TDI? I am assuming it is in the tank like modern gas autos. The filter is in the engine compartment...correct?

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
Just an FYI; but VCDS will not work on your VW (Dodge) Routan; just in case you were thinking it would be useful for at least 2 of your vehicles. ;)

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I thought all diesels had to have there fuel line primed to rid air from the line. Where is the fuel pump in my TDI? I am assuming it is in the tank like modern gas autos. The filter is in the engine compartment...correct?
Your TDI has three fuel pumps. One is in the tank, then another (Aux Fuel Pump) is under the hood. These 2 pumps are electrically driven. Then you have an HPFP (High Pressure Fuel Pump) that is driven by your timing belt. The 2 electric pumps can be run with VCDS to prime the system. the fuel filter is in the engine compartment.

Have Fun!

Don

higgledy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf TDI (buyback)
I was in the dealer yesterday for warranty work. I overheard the service people talking about a customer whose wife filled his brand new Passat TDI with gas and ran the car for a good distance. He was looking at a minimum $7500 repair. Ouch.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
I was in the dealer yesterday for warranty work. I overheard the service people talking about a customer whose wife filled his brand new Passat TDI with gas and ran the car for a good distance. He was looking at a minimum $7500 repair. Ouch.

His insurance would cover the accidental missfueling if VW didn't.

Search and read about HPFP failure on this forum.... VW has been picking up the tab for owners.

Bill