Smaller Electric Cooling Fan DOA, I Have a Question

JosephH1

TDI
2010 Silver 2dr
Recently I noticed the cooling fans running a lot more frequently, especially running around town. I took a look and the small fan is no longer running. While the car was at the dealer for a VCDS update this week, they told me I had a fan failure code. Of course they tell me both fans have to be replaced because the small fan failure burnt out the fan relay which is part of the large fan assembly. They want about $1000 for the repair ($600+ for parts)
There is no way I am going that route, it looks like a simple if somewhat tight job. The question I have is should I replace both fans when it is apart ($350) or should I just replace the small fan ($99) Could the small fan toast the relay? TIA

MGraham

TDI
2000 Jetta, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Golf SE TDI, 2016 Golf GTI.
From what I know on the subject the fans are variable speed with the electronics to do that in the main fan. If the small fan will not run the electronics in the big fan may be the reason or the small fan may be burned out. Depending on your troubleshooting skills you may be able to test the small fan. You might also check the bearings in the small fan.

FowVay

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta returned to der Führer
You can buy the fans individually from Volkswagen or you can buy the entire assembly with shrouds from aftermarket. For approximately $250 you can buy just the large fan which also includes the fan control module and see if that fixes your problem.

Personally I have not seen a failure of the small fan but have seen numerous failures of the fan control module. To fix the fan control module you need to replace the large fan.

I would NOT buy a cheap Chinese fan from RockAuto unless you're completely in a tight financial bind. Also, there are several manufacturers of the original fan so you might find effectivity issues with plugging the small fan into the control module. Note that this can remedied by removing the oddly placed plug alignment pin if you happen to get an incompatible unit. The wires are all compatible and only the plastic plugs differ.

Also, removing the fan assembly with shrouds is a simple endeavor and easily done by driving the vehicle up on ramps and removing the fans through the bottom of the vehicle.

JosephH1

TDI
2010 Silver 2dr
You can buy the fans individually from Volkswagen or you can buy the entire assembly with shrouds from aftermarket. For approximately $250 you can buy just the large fan which also includes the fan control module and see if that fixes your problem.

Personally I have not seen a failure of the small fan but have seen numerous failures of the fan control module. To fix the fan control module you need to replace the large fan.

I would NOT buy a cheap Chinese fan from RockAuto unless you're completely in a tight financial bind. Also, there are several manufacturers of the original fan so you might find effectivity issues with plugging the small fan into the control module. Note that this can remedied by removing the oddly placed plug alignment pin if you happen to get an incompatible unit. The wires are all compatible and only the plastic plugs differ.

Also, removing the fan assembly with shrouds is a simple endeavor and easily done by driving the vehicle up on ramps and removing the fans through the bottom of the vehicle.
Thank you FowVay, that is extremely helpful! I have found a OEM fan and relay on E-bay for $157 shipped. This is about twice the chinese part's price and 1/2 the Dealer price of $330. Thanks again!