Strength/load rating of tie-down points?

khai

TDI
2014 Golf Wagon
Sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere, but I wasn't able to come up with anything on a search.

My '14 Golf Wagon has "tie down points" built into the back. Does anyone know the strength or load rating of these? If it's possible I'd like to strap down a "mini GP" bike into the back of the wagon - avoiding the need to install a hitch and procure a trailer. But of course I don't want to rip out the anchors with the ratchet straps...

Am I begging for trouble here or are these tie down straps well anchored?

Thanks,

Khai

khai

TDI
2014 Golf Wagon
For what it's worth I called the dealer and talked to a service guy who told me that there are no listed load ratings for the tie down points, but the two at the rear are "pretty strong". He didn't recommend using the tie down points closer to the rear seats for "anything other than groceries" but said that the ones at the very back of the trunk are anchored "pretty well" and that they "ought to be fine" for my described purpose. I then asked him about folding down the rear seats and anchoring to to the driver/passenger seat rails and he said "well I can't really recommend that, but the seats are designed to hold well over 400lbs if you know what I mean..."

So there's nothing official, but the rear ones and the seat rails ought to get me by.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
...ratchet straps...
I hope you won't be driving any faster than... let's say 50 km/h... while those (China-made, I assume?) ratchet straps can hold a lot, if you were to have a serious frontal impact, I'm not sure I'd trust something that heavy to not come flying into the front passenger compartment - especially if you also put down the rear seat backs... You're welcome to break all the man-made laws you wish, but the laws of physics are a bit harder to violate...

Yuri