Salt & Panzer Plate

albion

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
Does anyone paint or anodize their aluminum skid plate? I'm just wondering how it fares with lots of road salt. Does anyone happen to know what alloy it is?

BRIAN427COBRA

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, 2015 Passat SEL
I think its Clad T6, I would paint mine if I lived in the land of salt, just degrease the hell out of it, and get some engine paint to protect it.

EddyKilowatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL 5M
Evolution skidplate is 5052 per their website. That's a marine grade alloy, they build ship hulls for ocean use from it... should handle road salt OK without paint. However, galvanic corrosion is an issue if it's in contact with steel or other non-aluminum metal parts... I believe Evolution is on top of this as I've seen reference to isolation washers supplied by them for this purpose.

Don't know what alloy the Panzer Plate's made out of...

Eddy

realslimshaver

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta gls tdi
when aluminium rusts it rusts a white colour. Look at an old aluminium ladder. there is something different about when aluminium rusts, the surface rusts easily but the rust it self actually prevents more rust because it prevents oxygen from penetrating deeper into the aluminium… or so I remember its been a few years sense grade 11 science class

rjr311

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon , 1996 Passat sedan
Before you install it prep it with a rust coater like "POR15 Metal Ready" that will place a small amount of protective surface level rust on the metal and then spray it with a "truck bed liner" coating. Side benefit will be a slight reduction on noise.

Rob

lupin..the..3rd

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat B4 1996
Al does indeed "rust". Develops a white powdery texture as others have said. For precision Al parts exposed to the elements, I would protect them. For a large metal plate, probably not necessary. 15 year old Al brake calipers from Porsche can be "rusted" enough that it's quite difficult to fit new pads into them. A non-issue IMHO on a large "non-precision" piece like a skid plate.

spiceredwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
06 wagon
Just had my Panzer plate off the Jetta to change the oil. I need to do something about the galvanic corrosion around the mounting washers or the plate will fall off next winter. I am thinking I should make some teflon washers out of my wife's cutting boards. Can any one think of a better solution? What can I do to improve the thinned plate that already corroded? Road salt sucks, I wish they would just use sand without the salt.

LiLredTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta tdi pd-1989 Jetta IDI-1994 F-250 IDI Turbo
Just get some fiber or plastic washers. Back them with stainless or galvanized ones to attach the plate. Probably would not hurt to get thia stuff called NO OX. It is sold at hardware stores.home detp. eclectical supply houses. It is for electrical wires that are aluminum but clamped in a copper connector. Put some on the bolts.

Just painting aluminus usually does not work that well. Get a product call wilbond and apply it first before painting.

diesel-dave

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 wagon TDI, 2003 wagon Tdi, 2013 Q7 Tdi
get plastic spacer washers evolutions new kit comes with it.. spray some sound killer on it.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
The two on my cars survived years of sandblasting by overzealous Cook County salt truck drivers. No issues at all - they get more wear from debris in the road than salt will ever do to them.