engine takes forever to warm up

cooguyfish

TDI
none currently
I know these engines don't make the waste heat that gassers do, but seriously, mine can't be normal. Where I live is out in the country, in 55 MPH zones and I drive threw town after a while.

Having said that, it takes (If I leave the heat completely off) about 10-15 minutes to get to operating temp

If I turn the heat on, it won't get past the 1/4 mark, and sometimes if I turn the heat on before it gets all the way warm it will start dropping it back down again.

I know if I was sitting still this is normal, but I'm talking even when I'm moving I have trouble.

O, and fuel mileage dropped about 10 MPG since it got cold (from 50 down to 40)

One person suggested replacing the thermostat, I bought one, since they are like $4 anyways. But I thought I'd get your opinion before I put it on.

Thanks

-Brandon

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I would never put a $4 thermostat in a Volkswagen LOL.

You should use on OE one, and get the o-ring and water neck with it as the stat gets snapped into the tabs of the neck first, and those tabs almost always break off the old neck upon removal, unless you are talking about an older TDI then the 'stat is at the bottom of the engine.

FWIW, a genuine VW thermostat is about $45.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Nevada_TDI said:
Sounds like the t-stat. make sure you replace the o-ring too. T-stat goes in first, then o-ring, then piping.
And that is not the same for all cars, that is why I said to replace the neck.

The thermostat twist locks into the neck, then the o-ring goes on, THEN the whole assembly gets attached to the engine block, on the EA113 engines. On the EA827 engines, the thermostat goes in, then the o-ring and then the neck, and this is of course a PITA because it is at the very BOTTOM of the cooling system and you have to remove the power steering pump/bracket to get at it, all the while coolant dripping all over your face ;).

However, I would still replace the plastic neck as they often warp and do not seal properly afterwards.

Last edited:

anahata

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GOLF GLS, 4dr, silver, 5sp,
Oilhammer is right. My car is an ALH. I used OE stat with a flange from TDIparts. So far so good. Only the OEM thermostats will be certain to pre seat in the tabs on the flange. Non OEM t-stats apparently work but are a bit trickier to be certain of seating the right way.
If I were to do it again in this specific case I would use both dealer parts and I would also pull the hose rather than use the petcock spigot which appeared to be leaking when I was done but did manage to reseat itself. That was a needless extra concern.

Last edited:

PaPa Bulldog

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta Boost Master
cooguyfish said:
I know these engines don't make the waste heat that gassers do, but seriously, mine can't be normal. Where I live is out in the country, in 55 MPH zones and I drive threw town after a while.

Having said that, it takes (If I leave the heat completely off) about 10-15 minutes to get to operating temp

If I turn the heat on, it won't get past the 1/4 mark, and sometimes if I turn the heat on before it gets all the way warm it will start dropping it back down again.

I know if I was sitting still this is normal, but I'm talking even when I'm moving I have trouble.

O, and fuel mileage dropped about 10 MPG since it got cold (from 50 down to 40)

One person suggested replacing the thermostat, I bought one, since they are like $4 anyways. But I thought I'd get your opinion before I put it on.

Thanks

-Brandon
Brandon the nature of the diesel beast is cold blooded. I noticed too that my 98 Jetta took forever to get to operating temp. After searching here I found Scurvys winter front. Basically I took sections of pipe insulation, and stuffed them in my grills top and bottom. In 10-15 minutes I'm toasty warm. When I see the temp gauge move just past the first 3 bars I give it the go pedal with spirit, and that warms things up in seconds. Do the scurvy winter front mod. It was the best $ 2 I ever spent, and makes the car look cool too! You could also buy a Frost heater, and that would aid with getting up to proper temp. Referencing your economy loss the winter blend of fuel has hit everyones MPGS. I'm down to about 38-39 highway. Fuel isn't atomized as well in the winter therefore the loss. How are your tires? Cold weather causes loss in tire pressures! The list keeps going. I blame it on the winter blend of Kerosene, and diesel!

Just my 2 cents

Papa Bulldog aka Bart

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Even with a new T-stat, driving 55 mph will not warm-up your TDI very fast. In fact, if your drive is less than 10 or 12 miles and the outside temp is below 25f, most likely the temp will not reach normal.

My T-stat was bad for almost two years ...... very cold car on cold mornings. Interstate 70 mph would eventually bring the temp up near the 190 mark at 25f or colder.

The new T-stat was a good improvement ....... with in cabin heat and fuel economy as well!:D