Remote start on a TDi???

Caractere

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Beetle, '03 Jetta Wagon
I have an '01 Beetle TDi and my girlfriend has an '03 Jetta wagon TDi. I put remote starters on both but the info we are lacking is the tach wire. Has anyone had or installed a remote start on their TDi? Also any idea for the glow plug input?
cnoevil@earthlink.net

dieselgus

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Variant Black/Black
Beetle---- At ECM under driver's side top dash panel (Opposite of where the cabin air filter lives). Its on the left plug, light green/reddish stripe.

Jetta----- At ECM underneath the valence that's under the windshield wipers. If you look through the slots in the plastic, you'll see it, dead centre. Pull off wiper arms, remove panel very very carefully. Tach wire is on the right plug as you're looking at it. Light green/orange stripe.

Of course, you will want to double check that these are tach wires with a proper tach probe that gives a clnder/rpm count. A DMM set to AC will not give accurate information. With a DMM, any multiplexed data line will be giving of the same approx. amount of AC voltage as the tach line. One other thing.... you won't get tach at the cluster that is very usable. There's other stuff on the line, and it isn't a clean signal.

Hope this helps..... how'd ya like bypassing the Immobilizer /images/graemlins/smirk.gif Or'd you go the route of using the factory antenna and an interupy relay?

Good luck... I do this for a living, and the VW stuff is the most interesting by far... I average 4hrs on an automatic Jetta.... most of the time is spent getting wire into the door(alarm disarm, keyless, trunk/hatch, fuel door if so inclined)

Gus

Caractere

Veteran Member
TDI
To bypass the immobilizer we placed the valet key in the column. What do you do exactly???????

dieselgus

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Variant Black/Black
I use the proper bypass module. It consists of a box with an antenna loop inside that the key goes into. There is a plug in antenna loop that is run to the key chamber antenna, and by the miricle of RF transmission, the chamber sees the key in the box from 2 feet away.... See image:

there is also another way involving a relay, and antenna, and the factory antenna loop, however I'd only go that route if you are extremely familiar with vehicle electronics.

Here's the thing..... By using the proper bypass unit, the vehicle only "sees" the valet key during remote start. By just placing the key within the proximity of the chamber you run the risk of a no start condition when the Immobilizer circuit "sees" 2 keys at once during the crank cycle. Even if there is a key left in the chamber, the proper bypass box will utilize the keysense circuit, and not allow the bypass box to be turned on, so the vehicle will only see the key that's in the ignition chamber.
ahhh...bypass bliss!

Fun Stuff!
Gus

oh yeah... no glowplug light in cluster that you can use.... hopefully the unit you are putting in has a timed delay!!! Whee!

dieselgus

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Variant Black/Black
hmmm.... on my own NB I had a hell of a time with that wire.... said screw it, set the starter up for a 15sec. delay, and that was that.

Caractere

Veteran Member
TDI
Dude,

You SOOOOOOOOOOOO rock. You nailed it. Thank you so much for your input. We are truly impressed!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dieselgus

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Variant Black/Black
No prob...Bob

Like I said... I do 3-5 remote starts a day.... 5 days a week... all winter long. You learn some freeky stuff along the way /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Gus

Hoffer

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2003, Black
[ QUOTE ]
dieselgus said:
there is also another way involving a relay, and antenna, and the factory antenna loop, however I'd only go that route if you are extremely familiar with vehicle electronics.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, being an electrical engineer, I'm interested in that route. /images/graemlins/grin.gif Do you have more information on said route? I don't think I'll get to the remote starter this winter, but I'm shooting for next summer so that I can have a cool car when need be. For next winter I was looking at one of those Esper heaters. They look really nifty. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

- hoffer