68 pin 98 jetta TDI pinout

Goldguru

TDI
98 tracker conversion AHU
I have full schematic of the 98 jetta ECU (AHU),However I am in the middle of a 98 tdi to 98 tracker swap All IN house.(trans adapt.engine mounts oil filter adaptor.ETC)
My schematic only shows all devices to/from ecu Not What ecu pinout is. (IE mass airflow +/- 5v etc)
I would really apreciate a 1-68 pin designation.laman terms Not required.
master mech here 30+ yrs.
contacting my local dealer tells me ecu is OFF shore (by jetta VIN)..China/mexico..etc NOT usa or Canada.
speedo in MPH not KM.
for i can see a lil fondalation with speed sensor inputs & A/C requests coming my way,not to mention tach etc thats not a prob.
I Have a bently 98.5 & up manual But all those show 121 pins? or so.
it is on loan but owner says It can go if Need Be.
From what i have read @ bently the 68 pin not common for AHU in 8/98. Yes it has manifold charge tube to ECU.
Thnx Gg

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
wiring diagrams are in my sig's link.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
AHU's ECU, like the 1Z's ECU, were only 68 pin.
A3 TDI were all from Mexico. (engine is German, but installed in the car in the Pueblo plant).
The North American market A3 TDI ECU should have either an "ED"(1997) or "JB"(1998+) suffix after the part number.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
98.5 and up equals mk4 not mk3, use my links

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
There was an overlap into 1999 during which both A3 and A4 Jetta were available.
Jetter, of Jetter-Sprinta, has a 1999 A3 Jetta TDI. X year designation in the VIN. Still uses the JB, 68 pin ECU and an AHU engine.

Goldguru's borrowed "98.5+" A4 manual isn't applicable to his A3 AHU engine. The manual he's borrowed is applicable to the ALH, but that's not the engine he has.

(not that it matters for this swap, but the Cabrio was still "A3", despite the "A4" Golf nose stuck on it, into 2001)

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
my link has mk3 & B4 wiring schematics

Goldguru

TDI
Thx for the links
the 1st's i have looked closely @ are Not correct.. links were 5 less pins In ACTION cant say Which off hand.. MY count over 54 Used & the 1 I looked over closest was only using 50...Maybe due to me Havin Cruise not sure ...( the PICS LINK Diagrams Way to Old ? & need cleaning out?.Many Missing image's? )& those I looked @ close Did not show? what i was after...I will post ECU # tomrrow.I would bet is JB..but we;ll see

I'M def Not 98.5 & up..(7 98).for I have a Bently 98.5/2002 manual & it is incorrect.
From what i have read 98.5 Up is more like Mar 99 & over
but I'll be back with pic of ecu .Allthoug Benlty states Sept 98 = 98.5 + in its Manual I have I'll also say What edition next post

does user need file host for pics? I dont see option to add pics ,So I assume No files/pics able to upload to This Host?

"Goldguru's borrowed "98.5+" A4 manual isn't applicable to his A3 AHU engine. The manual he's borrowed is applicable to the ALH, but that's not the engine he has."

Correct Lugnut I just posted that for my buddy Had 1..which is on the blocks In A+ condition.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1Z & AHU wiring diagrams. This where it gets tricky because there are 2 diffenert glow plug circuits. The early:
1996-1997 TDI Jetta
http://www.haywood-sullivan.com/vanagon/TDI/1996_Jetta_TDI_wiring_LONG4.pdf

and then the layer style:
B4 Passat Wiring:
Standard Equipment:
http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.php?photo=35958&title=passat-1z-stanard-equipment-b4-wiring&cat=517

Engine:
http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.php?photo=35957&title=1z-wiring-passat-b4-engine&cat=517

the wiring harness you have is for the newer style glowplug setup where the GP relayd does not mount on the fuse/relay panel 1st 12 relay spots but instead has an aux relay that mounts to the side of the relay panel.

I ran into a minor issue because my car's ecu, is made for the 98 and I'm using the early style wiring harness that has the relay mount on the relay panel. When I need to check wiring I use the Haywood diagram.

Goldguru

TDI
Yes I have the Late version..remote glow plug relay pos 12. sry i havnt responded ecu ## but was busy mounting custom Rad this wknd..
How many Post are required to post attachments Here? 10+?

My Unit will not Use the coolant heater glows for no Need Here.but i will install a circiut to keep the ecu happy..
I did manage a a/c evap unit on Sat to Mate to my tracker HVAC Box..used was $400 fer tracker ,toy was under $60..from JY...take under 5hrs to adapt in.

Kinda curious as to what the # of post's is to attach Pics is?

G6 when i Pull Dash on both I will comment more about the pinouts..I really Wanna say right now Your b4 schem is what I have but that ecu is short maybe 5 pins(used mine more) than what is there..this donor was a Full load..98 jetta tdi Off Shore.

LUG I gonna check on the Build decal fer Mexico as well ty
My Unit would be classed as a3/a4 99.5 & under NON USA/CAN. I would think.
But keep your shirts on dont get a pissin match goin..I greatly apreciate the help & iwill attempt more info ..would be nice to add attachments Here then there would be no questions..only answers..THNX again for the replies

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Congrats on the startup. I'd love for you to post some pics after its all buttoned up.

Did you ever figure out pinouts? I'd love to post it as a resource for all other that are doing a tdi swap.

Goldguru

TDI
:Dthis has been a slow process.(LIFE.. LOL).wiring 80% complete..decided this week not to use F36 & F47 for cruise but to use a dual relay box instead for cruise..dont wanna hurt my back mounting the brake switch's when they are already present..also i sent Going a PM about oil filter mounts which I will post a pic of here later( if I can get the cam down in there) on how to use a 4.0L ford oil filter adaptor to put oil filter in any position U want with an AHU stock mount in a N/S app.( With cooler intack).got my vag working & after wiring down just need to fab frt & rear bumper to adapt stock bumper skins back on..yet untested are tach & speedo outputs to 68pin JB..But A/C blowing 40f & all rad fans/wiring complete.mounted cruise switch from donor to steering column cowl this wknd..Its coming along...:D

Goldguru

TDI
Just tach & speedo left now......& a fondle of tracker dash to make a Glow lite that looks rite ..lol