MIL - Intake Flap Motor

TDI'er

Veteran Member
TDI
01 New Beetle TDI, 93 Toyota Estima 2.2TD
Check engine light came on. Vagcom says "Intake Flap Motor - intermittent". Has anyone experienced the same thing? This is the anti-shudder valve we're talking about right? Can it be repaired instead of replaced? Dealer wants to rob me on parts. Thanks.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
This is not a cheap part. 1stvwparts $294.54US as of this posting.

I'd check to make sure the electrical wiring is good and securely plugged in. I'd also check to see if the intake is clogged and need of a clean out.

TDI'er

Veteran Member
TDI
01 New Beetle TDI, 93 Toyota Estima 2.2TD
Thanks. Will try that first.

$294US is not bad. LOL. Here in Canada, the dealer wants $500+ !!!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Check the throttle body for gunk build up first. If it is really bad, try cleaning, then resetting the learned values, and see if the DTC returns. If not, you're golden. If it does, you will need a new throttle body.

05PassatTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat GLS Wagon Stonehenge Gray
Motor for Intake Manifold Flap (V157): Malfunction

My 2005 Passat TDI Wagon threw this code a couple days ago. I cleared it and it came back right away:

19559 - Motor for Intake Manifold Flap (V157): Malfunction
P3103 - 000 - -

If it is the "Intake Manifold Flap Motor" that needs to be replaced, is it covered by VW Powertrain waranty? I just came off the bumper to bumper waranty 2 months ago and Powertrain waranty is all I have left...

Not sure what it is but the car is running as good and smooth as ever; no problem with acceleration, engine is shutting off immediately after the key turn and I do not notice "higher fuel consumption" in the last couple days while this MIL is on. Anyone else got this and what was the solution?

Thanks.
===================
From Ross-Tech Wiki:
19559/P3103 - Motor for Intake Manifold Flap (V157), Malfunction
Possible Symptoms
Higher fuel consumption
Insufficient acceleration above 100-120 kmh
Shutting off the engine is not nice and easy
Possible Causes
Intake Manifold Flap (V157) or the motor for V157 doesn't work well.
Possible Solutions
Check wiring and connections
Check / Replace V157, but probably you have to replace the whole EGR

05PassatTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat GLS Wagon Stonehenge Gray
should be covered under powertrain?

I think I may have lucked out of a $500+ part and $115/hour labour charge.

From the Owner Manual w.r.t. the "Limited Powertrain Warranty".
Engine: cylinder block and all internal parts, cylinder head and all internal parts, valve train, spur belt, flywheel, oil pump, water pump, manifolds, all related seals and gaskets.

Based on the above statement which specifically states "manifolds", I think I'm in a good shape once I get back into town from my week long road trip to see my local dealer about this.

UNCLE BUCK

TDI
2004 VW JETTA GLS 4 DR
i HAVE AN 04 JETTA TDI. I HAD THE CHK ENGINE LIGHT COME ON X4. TOOK IT TO MY LOCAL DEALER WHO SAID THE CODE WAS FOR AN INTAKE FLAP MOTOR. HE SAID THEY HAVE BEEN SEEING THIS PROBLEM OFTEN. HE SAID THE MOTOR IS A SEALED UNIT AND IT CANNOT BE TAKEN APART TO CLEAN THEM UP SO THEY WORK BETTER. HE SAID THE PART HAS TO BE REPLACED. THEY INDICATED THAT THIS PROBLEM WONT LET ME HIGH AND DRY ALONG THE ROADWAY, BUT THAT I WOULD NOTICE PERFORMANCE ISSUES, LACK OF POWER AND DECREASED MPG IF IT WASN'T REPLACED AT SOME POINT. COST ESTIMATE INCLUDING LABOR $600.00 AND IT WILL TAKE ABOUT 2 HOURS. THEY SAID MY CAR IS OUT OF WARRANTY FOR THIS. MY CAR GOES IN THIS TUESDAY 11/25/2008 FOR THE REPAIR. HOPE THIS HELPS!!!

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
UNCLE BUCK said:
i HAVE AN 04 JETTA TDI. I HAD THE CHK ENGINE LIGHT COME ON X4. TOOK IT TO MY LOCAL DEALER WHO SAID THE CODE WAS FOR AN INTAKE FLAP MOTOR. HE SAID THEY HAVE BEEN SEEING THIS PROBLEM OFTEN. HE SAID THE MOTOR IS A SEALED UNIT AND IT CANNOT BE TAKEN APART TO CLEAN THEM UP SO THEY WORK BETTER. HE SAID THE PART HAS TO BE REPLACED. THEY INDICATED THAT THIS PROBLEM WONT LET ME HIGH AND DRY ALONG THE ROADWAY, BUT THAT I WOULD NOTICE PERFORMANCE ISSUES, LACK OF POWER AND DECREASED MPG IF IT WASN'T REPLACED AT SOME POINT. COST ESTIMATE INCLUDING LABOR $600.00 AND IT WILL TAKE ABOUT 2 HOURS. THEY SAID MY CAR IS OUT OF WARRANTY FOR THIS. MY CAR GOES IN THIS TUESDAY 11/25/2008 FOR THE REPAIR. HOPE THIS HELPS!!!

ours also failed on our 2004 jetta tdi, it caused all sorts of driveablity problems.

sounds like a recall is needed

:rolleyes: pardon me, I am dreaming this is VW after all:rolleyes:

oilhammer

TDI
I do not think it is as common as you may think. Maybe in certain climates, but not around here.

I would still try cleaning it and resetting it first. FWIW I have yet to replace one.

TDI2some

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 PassatTDI GLS, 2003 Audi A4q 1.8t, 1975 Rabbit (waiting for TDI transplant)
Oil Hammer: Isn't there an "updated part" and ECM reflash for the BEW's? I have seem this VERY sporadic fault before, but never enough to warrant further investigation...until now:eek:h

Edit- From my experience, the 2.0T are setting an IMRC flap motor fault, not the same part as a TDI. There is a campaign/reflash for the 2.0T IMRC fault.

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
There are reflashes on the early BEW for a long crank time. And reflashes on the BHW for the hesitation. That is all I am aware of but I am certain there are plenty of others.

Pretty much every manufacturer nowadays uses software updates to remedy a variety of problems. Chances are 50% or better of every car you see on the road today has newer software available for it. If it is a Ford/Mazda product, it is closer to about 75% likely.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
I had mine reflashed for the 2.0T, but the TSB also calls for a motor/assembly replacement if that doesn't clear the DTCs. Not needed in my case apparently but over on Vortex there appear to be a number of folks who have had the flap/motor replaced.

sidsnot

TDI
2014 Jetta Silver, 2000 Cherv Silverado 2500 6.L Vortec
Intake Flap / Power Train

05PassatTDI said:
I think I may have lucked out of a $500+ part and $115/hour labour charge.

From the Owner Manual w.r.t. the "Limited Powertrain Warranty".
Engine: cylinder block and all internal parts, cylinder head and all internal parts, valve train, spur belt, flywheel, oil pump, water pump, manifolds, all related seals and gaskets.

Based on the above statement which specifically states "manifolds", I think I'm in a good shape once I get back into town from my week long road trip to see my local dealer about this.
Did you get the V157 motor covered under warranty ?
I took my 2005 passat TDI in for re-flash after replacing ceramic G.P's. For steel G.P's. ($138. Good price 5th Ave Auto Calgary Alberta).
After doing the re-flash they found the fault "intake flap motor V157" . Mechanic played about with it. Worked OK ($34.50) I drove it for 10 KM's Parked up. After 30 min's Started up to return home Fault re-appaired. Dealer asked me to return to check out fault. Confirmed flap motor V157 fault (no charge ) . I was told this is not covered under my warranty. Cost of replacement motor $515.41. He told me I could replace this myself.

Did you get this repaired under warranty?
If not does anybody know if I can repair this myself. I have nothing to loose if I have to buy another one.
N.B. The odd time you have to go to dealer in Alberta I would recommend 5thAve Auto. Very reasonable. Northland VW do not even know about re-flash for G.P's.

Mikey2

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 2002 grey
There have been quite a few problems in Europe with intake manifold flap. This flap not only functions as an anti-shudder valve but also suppresses fresh air intake when EGR is activated. Lots of problems have emerged from broken plastic (!) gear inside the motor.

sidsnot

TDI
Intake Flap

kcfoxie said:
VWs and broken plastics.

It's like old ladies and cats.
What do you meen by "I use open source fuel & software when possible. You should too.

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_source_software
The software I primarily use is Linux, OpenOffice, Pidgin and Firefox.

The fuel is biodiesel made from waste veggie oil, with up to 10% being virgin NC soy oil from a nearby farm.
[from what I have seen most reactor designs are published under a GPL licening agreement -- that is that no one specifically owns the rights to the design, I don't believe there is an active patent on biodiesel and the general consensus and reason it has failed to really take off in the market is because it has no one set standard, it is open source for feedstock, and the resulting fuel has varying properties. it's not a stretch to call biodiesel an open source fuel based upon these facts]

Last edited:

sidsnot

TDI
Intake Flap Motor

I decided to remove the unit as this is not an exchange item. There was a small amount of carbon. The metal butterfly valve moved easily by hand, springing in to the open position. I partially removed the gear box cover to check the gears. All intact & no signs of wear. I was unable at this time to completely remove the cover due to the electrical connection. After re installing the motor assembly the check engine light went out after about two re-starts. The light stayed off for about a week.
I repeated the procedure a second time. This time the engine light would not go out. :mad: Time to bite the bullet. Booked the Passat in for the work. As the part would not be in for a few days I decided to take it on a trip (approximate 1000KM) 5.8Ltr/100km,s on trip Just before the trip the engine light decided to go out. The light stayed out for the duration of the trip. Now I was worried that it might not be the Intake Flap Motor.
The following morning on the way to the VW dealers the engine light came on ??. Now at least we have the fault. After the replacement along with a bill for $608.39 Cad. Problem solved.
I asked for the old intake flap motor as I will be taking it apart to find out what is going on. I am thinking that the motor brushes might be the problem. Will let you know. :p

sidsnot

TDI
Just an update. 4,000Km's & not fualt. Still have had not luck with the old motor. Will get to it soon.

dougsbug

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Beetle
Is there a part number for this intake flap motor? How big of a job is this? Is this a dealer only part? By the way, 2006 Jetta.

sidsnot

TDI
The flapper motor is on the Passat TDI. I am not sure what you have on the Jetta ?. Is is no more that 30 min's max on Passat.

M2B

TDI
2005 Passat TDI Wagon
Tried removing the top from the intake flap motor. However, the top would only come off the bottom by about 5mm. It seems that the electrical connector is holding the top and the bottom together. :confused:

Any ideas how to remove the top form the Intake Flap motor?

sidsnot

TDI
Well I have not got around to stripping my old flapper motor yet but as it has been liying around for so long it is time for me to see if I can fix it. I will try to remove the connector tomorrow & give you a update soon.

sidsnot

TDI
OK I had 5 minutes to spare so I disassembled the motor.
First remove the four screws & pry gently with a flat bladed screw driver under the connector part of the flange. There are 2 spade connector that slide into friction sockets. Just gently tease the spade connectors out of the friction connectors (they are tight) by rocking the cover slightly, it will come out. It was easier for me as this is now a spare if I get it working.
I put power to the friction connectors & it works OK. I have no idea how to check the electronics.
Lets hope someone has some ideas. Good luck.
I have the photo's of the strip down but I do not know how to insert. Go figure??

childishidealism

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI-PD, 2005, Reflex Silver
I've got a fault with mine too. 19559 - MOtor for Intake Manifold Flap (V157): Malfunction P3103 - 000 - - - Intermittent.

How was the R&R? Any specialty tools or anything else have to come off for dis-assembly?

Ottodiesel

TDI
Passat GLS Wagon, 2004, Silverstone Grey
Flap Motor

Good information on this link. Does anyone have a procedure and possibly with some pics?