2006 Jetta TDI

ronlove

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, Package 2
Guys, I'm new here and I'm looking for my first TDi. Was looking for a 2002-2003 Jetta (conventional wisdom, I guess) but was recently convinced to check out 2005.5-2006ish Jetta if I'm aware of the cam shaft issues on the BRM engines.

Well I found a Volkswagen dealer selling a 2006 manual Tdi, leather heated seats, sunroof, for $2000. Has Carfax history that reports cam shaft repair/replace at the 86,000 mile mark. Service seems to be pretty regular but it has 226,000 miles on it. It definitely needs some cosmetic work with some bubbling around a couple wheel wells and some surface rust on the door edge. So'll need a paint job. There's also a rip in the driver seat.
I test drove it and it seems okay but I've never driven a TDi so I can't compare.

So my question is, at $2000 is that a good deal or should I avoid it? I was expected to pay up to $4500 for my first one and I could use the $2500 balance for anymore repairs. What would you do, buy or run away! (The salesman said he could knock a couple hundred off and sell it for $1800.)

jonferns

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf
Where are you located, Warren NJ? If so, I can possibly take a look at the car with you. I bought an '06 with 200k for the same price and it needed a cam, timing belt, and some maintenance catch up.

ronlove

TDI
No, in Warren, MI unfortunately. Again the Carfax says, "Valve rocker arms replaced, Camshaft(s) replaced/repaired" that was about at 85,000 miles. But don't know what the standard life of the camshift would be.

Part of me is inclined to hurry buy now before I miss out on this opportunity, but another part is saying this may sound too good to be true and proceed cautiously. :)

But I very much appreciate the offer! :)

Last edited:

TNguy

Banned
TDI
2005 Jetta BEW 5 speed
Don't worry about the rust. VWs 12 year warranty will take care of it for free.

Worse case would be a timing belt($230), cam job($700), maybe turbo($1000) and maybe clutch($480)which would total to be $2410

Test drive it, see if the clutch slips, see if it has good power and take off (that will eliminate turbo and clutch)

Be sure there is nothing else wrong or problem-some with it

Current tire condition?

IMO, sounds like a good deal

EDIT: Crawl under and look for rust on everything else, including the exhaust.

Last edited:

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
Guys, I'm new here and I'm looking for my first TDi. Was looking for a 2002-2003 Jetta (conventional wisdom, I guess) but was recently convinced to check out 2005.5-2006ish Jetta if I'm aware of the cam shaft issues on the BRM engines.

Well I found a Volkswagen dealer selling a 2006 manual Tdi, leather heated seats, sunroof, for $2000. Has Carfax history that reports cam shaft repair/replace at the 86,000 mile mark. Service seems to be pretty regular but it has 226,000 miles on it. It definitely needs some cosmetic work with some bubbling around a couple wheel wells and some surface rust on the door edge. So'll need a paint job. There's also a rip in the driver seat.
I test drove it and it seems okay but I've never driven a TDi so I can't compare.

So my question is, at $2000 is that a good deal or should I avoid it? I was expected to pay up to $4500 for my first one and I could use the $2500 balance for anymore repairs. What would you do, buy or run away! (The salesman said he could knock a couple hundred off and sell it for $1800.)
I watched the video on the car and it looks OK. You say it drives OK.
If you are mechanically inclined and are willing to work on the car for issues that will occur down the road then it could be a very good deal.
Not much risk at $2k.

ronlove

TDI
Ok, thanks for the advice! The timing belt was NOT listed anywhere in the Carfax report, hmm.

The clutch didn't slip, but it felt a little looser than what I remember (hadn't driven a manual in about 5 years, but that was 98 Honda Accord :) ) It was just a little louder (diesel sounding) than I'd expected but again this is my first experience with a diesel.
Had pretty good pickup, but again nothing to compare it to.

So regarding the rust, VW will repair all rust for free?

BTW tires are new.

ronlove

TDI
I watched the video on the car and it looks OK. You say it drives OK.
If you are mechanically inclined and are willing to work on the car for issues that will occur down the road then it could be a very good deal.
Not much risk at $2k.
Ok, so you found the video? I didn't want to give up too much info in case it was a super-duper deal and someone swooped it out from under me. :)

TNguy

Banned
TDI
2005 Jetta BEW 5 speed
If no engine lights are on and the car drives good. Def buy it

As far as rust, VW has 12 year corrosion warranty. As in any rust that occurs due to the elements will be repaired/replaced free of charge.

Many here have had fenders replaced under this warranty.

Inspect the ENTIRE car for rust then make a claim on all of it.

here is a link that explains it:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCkQFjABahUKEwiknL25obHIAhUCFx4KHUWnDw0&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.corroding-volkswagens.com%2Fs%2FPaint_Corrosion_Guidelines_Claim_Coding_Manual.pdf&usg=AFQjCNHPe33mHU2xDLpW20mF2pddzqvTIA&sig2=Vwd2ezOkpmlz-EXY9wL-bw&bvm=bv.104615367,bs.1,d.cWw

ronlove

TDI
If no engine lights are on and the car drives good. Def buy it

As far as rust, VW has 12 year corrosion warranty. As in any rust that occurs due to the elements will be repaired/replaced free of charge.

Many here have had fenders replaced under this warranty.

Inspect the ENTIRE car for rust then make a claim on all of it.

here is a link that explains it:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCkQFjABahUKEwiknL25obHIAhUCFx4KHUWnDw0&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.corroding-volkswagens.com%2Fs%2FPaint_Corrosion_Guidelines_Claim_Coding_Manual.pdf&usg=AFQjCNHPe33mHU2xDLpW20mF2pddzqvTIA&sig2=Vwd2ezOkpmlz-EXY9wL-bw&bvm=bv.104615367,bs.1,d.cWw

Hmm, checking it out now. Thanks again! I just called 2 local dealers and they both said they'd have to pictures of it, send them to Volkswagen and that the warranty only applies if rust was from the inside out. They said surface rust was not covered.

ronlove

TDI
Last edited:

Moesauction!

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2001 tdi 423,000 sold:[ , 2003 tdi 425,000 lower ryder hot rod 17/22 520rc southbend clutch. 2005 mercedes cdi 232,000 sold , 2003 7.3 ford 586,000 miles.
yeah you wont find that deal again. sorry.

xTDIx

Vendor
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 TDI Wagon, 2009 Jetta TDI
I am thinking of selling my 2006 in a few weeks. I probably will want a little more than $2,000 for it though lol. Just had the cam replaced, timing belt done at the same time.. It does have high miles (270,000?), but still in good condition. NO rust, decent tires. It's a manual with the clutch being replaced in November of last year.

ronlove

TDI
I am thinking of selling my 2006 in a few weeks. I probably will want a little more than $2,000 for it though lol. Just had the cam replaced, timing belt done at the same time.. It does have high miles (270,000?), but still in good condition. NO rust, decent tires. It's a manual with the clutch being replaced in November of last year.

Hmm, I'm interested. If I haven't found one by then and the price is right, I'm definitely interested.

conejo_a_cuatro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS Silver, 2011 JSW Manual - Bought Back. Now 328d Wagon.
There are a ton of 2006s in the north east for around 2000, at least when I looked on Saturday. You may well find one for about that price.

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
(2) 2005 TDI Passat Wagons
Big difference between $2000 and $4200.

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
Where does one begin to look in the NE ?

I am looking for a clean, rust free 2006 with a manual transmission.
Budget is $2000-$2500
Always thought the SW had the cleanest cars in terms No Rust.

ronlove

TDI
I didn't find any other mkv cars near $2000, but...

Guys! I think I found my first TDI! I put a deposit on this car and am going to pick it up Saturday! It's more than $2000 but it's just above my budget at $4995.
Tell me what you think: http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/5275850914.html

Unfortunately the Carfax has no record of timing belt change or camshaft repairs.

Last edited:

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
Nice looking car and it has three things going for it--

1. Rust Free Southern Car.
2. Miles look about where they need to be
3. Manual Transmission

You already know the issues--

Camshaft
Timing Belt, Water Pump
Fluid changes
Tires, Brakes etc.

I am on the hunt for a 2006 Jetta TDI very similar to this one for a buddy at work.
Beige would never work for him, but this one looks pretty clean.

Ronlove -- If the color does not offend you; make a cash offer and go get it.
Don't dilly dally around or you will lose it to someone else.

Please PM me if something interesting / similar pops up on the CL radar screen.
I do not have time to search for one.

My budget is $3000 - 3500 as I know the camshaft issue will need to be dealt on most cars with and obviously one has to factor in the cost of the water pump, timing belt and fluid changes and the cost to get to back home. ( Airfare, hotels, food, fuel )

Thanks

ronlove

TDI
Nice looking car and it has three things going for it--

1. Rust Free Southern Car.
2. Miles look about where they need to be
3. Manual Transmission

You already know the issues--

Camshaft
Timing Belt, Water Pump
Fluid changes
Tires, Brakes etc.

I am on the hunt for a 2006 Jetta TDI very similar to this one for a buddy at work.
Beige would never work for him, but this one looks pretty clean.

Ronlove -- If the color does not offend you; make a cash offer and go get it.
Don't dilly dally around or you will lose it to someone else.

Please PM me if something interesting / similar pops up on the CL radar screen.
I do not have time to search for one.

My budget is $3000 - 3500 as I know the camshaft issue will need to be dealt on most cars with and obviously one has to factor in the cost of the water pump, timing belt and fluid changes and the cost to get to back home. ( Airfare, hotels, food, fuel )

Thanks
Thanks so much! Gold wasn't a bad color for me. It was 3rd on my list after black or silver but well ahead of any other color. I'm going to pick the car up tomorrow. Hopefully everything checks out! But no dilly dallying anymore. I lost a chance on a couple of good buys already since I've been searching. After I put the deposit down on it, he's said that he's been getting 3 calls a day for it.

I saw a couple of cars that were about the same price but one was white (didn't want white) and the other 2 (black and a silver one, I believe) had salvage titles. I think the driver window didn't go down on one of them. But, if you want, I'll PM those to you.

ronlove

TDI
Ron did you end up picking that one up?

Yes! I did. I flew to Dallas Saturday and drove it back to Michigan. Got back Sunday night. 1200+ miles (half of it in the rain) @ $73 in diesel. Still had about a half tank left! Car is clean overall. He changed the oil after I told him I'd be driving back. I'll probably change it again myself soon to make sure it's the right kind.

I took it to the local dealer before I left Dallas to get the security code for the nav. radio. And while I was eating at a restaurant across the street, as it was in their shop, I decided to look here for info on the radio pin and found that sometimes they put it on a sticker in the spare tire area. Sure enough after I got the car back it was there. They charged me $70 to pull the radio and get the serial #. If they did that. (Maybe they just looked at the sticker unt the trunk.)
From now on, I know to ALWAYS check here first for anything!

But at least they decided to inspect it while they had it. And had some confidence that the brakes, fluids and tires were good. They told me I needed a new battery, a small electrical (radiator?) fan wasn't working (said the big one was working) and the the parking light bulbs needed replacing. They wanted to charge me over $2000 for that work. I bought a new battery in MI already installed for less than they wanted.

Overall, satisfied. Wouldn't want to make that drive for a long time. But it's like a $1200 mile test drive. :). Funny thing is I was looking at the 2005.5 content was hoping I had more in this early 2006 Package 2. Call me crazy but if the right 2005.5. comes around...

ronlove

TDI
The one thing that's bothering me, however, is though it's package 2, with the satellite radio, nav. system and all that, there is no aux input to connect my phone into??? I have a glove box light instead of the input.

And staring at the voice button and this phone button on my steering wheel that does nothing!

Last edited:

cobra390t

Veteran Member
TDI
06 VW Jetta BRM 5SPD ,2005 Passat TDI Wagon( SOLD ), 05 Mk4 Golf BEW , 04 MK4 Golf BEW , MPG Who cares It's a Diesel
How many miles on it ...