96 Passat TDI Wagon, Page, AZ, $5500, Very good condition.

veedubyoo

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat TDI Variant
SOLD
It's time to part with my much loved 96 Passat. It has 242 874 on the odo. The car runs and drives fantastic. The car has been in my family since 2010, I bought it in Wallingford CT from a gentlemen who sells late model Mercedes and had bought this car for his nephew. After doing(he claimed) $7k worth of repairs his nephew found a sedan and so this car was up for sale. He claimed(no paperwork to support anything) he had replaced the clutch, turbo and had just done the timing belt and had made other repairs...the car had a little over 170k on it when I got it. It was very clean including the motor but had absolutely no power. Turns out it was just the timing that was way out, he didn't have a VCDS...
Because he had no documentation I replaced the timing belt, tensioner and water pump soon after I got the car to be safe.
In 2011 I moved from CT to AZ and my son took the car, in 2013 I got it back from him and brought it to AZ. (long story I know but want to show it's not an AZ car)
The car has NO RUST!.. well other than the tiny bubble at the top of the windshield that hasn't come through the paint, it was there when I got it and hasn't got any worse. Rust free underneath.
The color is Black Magic Pearl and is in excellent shape considering the year, one door has peeling clear coat on the trim strip only.
The only significant defects in the body are a dent under the drivers door caused by snow plow damage(I was told) that occurred in the previous owners parking lot, as well as a bad dent repair below one of the taillights on the tailgate. Inspection underneath the trim panel inside reveals it is not a rust repair just someone trying to fill in a small palm sized dent. There are some small nicks and parking lot dents as would be expected but are insignificant. To my knowledge the car has never been in an accident.
At the end of 2013 before the car came to AZ a new A/C Compressor was installed and back in 2010 I did a dash-out repair of the blend door foam with McMaster Carr's self adhesive aviation foam. So the A/C blows COLD and the heat blows HOT!(there are pictures somewhere on the forums of my repair)
The car has a full GLX leather interior including leather steering wheel and shift knob. I installed the heated seat wiring and switch as well as wiring for the CD changer in the rear.
I can't remember all the miscellaneous repairs I have done but suffice it to say I have replaced clock springs, outer door handles(over and over), trim pieces etc. etc. So there are no airbag codes or flashing CEL's, the cruise control works as it should.
In 2010 I replaced the A Arm bushings with Audi TT and Polyutherane bushings, I also replace the gearbox oil with dealer fluid.
The car starts on the first crank everytime, in very cold weather(below freezing) there is a little smoke for the first couple of minutes or so but absolutely no smoke in summer or while driving once the motor is warm. I routinely get over 800 miles on a tank and average 46 mpg with a mix of city and highway driving, I'm sure with better driving habits I could do better.
I have also installed a Euro style Headlight Switch and the car has factory foglight installed.
The car motor has not been modified in any way and to my knowledge has never been run on grease. It has plenty of power (I live at 4300') and I would not hesitate to drive cross country with it tomorrow(it was driven from CT at the end of 2013).
I have just replaced the Timing Belt (240k), and replaced the Water Pump, Thermostat, Idler Pulley, Tensioner, Front Main Seal, Intermediate Shaft Seal and O'Ring and Cam Shaft Seal as well as Valve Cover Gasket and Seal's, Serpentine Belt, Power Steering Belt and installed a new Vibration Damper pulley while I was in there with all new hardware(new Crank Bolt and Allen Bolts for Damper).
The tires are new and were installed right after the timing belt was replaced.
The right inner/ outer tie rod end assembly was replaced, as well as right rack boot and front end alignment done 2 weeks ago.
The car also has a tow hitch that appears to never have been used.

Here is a list of major repairs that have been made on the car:
Foam Blend door's repaired- 2010
Full Leather interior installed(with heated front seats)-2010
Refurbished 6 disc CD Changer(remember those?)-2010
New Factory Radio-2010
New Fuel Lines-2010
New A Arm Audi TT and Poly bushings-2010
New Glow Plugs-2010
4 New Springs and Struts-2012
New A/C Compressor-2013
New MAF-5/2014
Right front Wheel Bearing-2014
2 new Hand Brake Cables-2015
Oil Cooler O Ring-2015
Turbo Oil Return Line- 6/2015
Right CV Axle Shaft- 6/2015
Timing Belt including Water Pump, Tensioner, Idler, Front Main Seal, Intermediate Shaft Seal & O' Ring, Cam Shaft Seal, Valve Cover Gasket and Seals, Thermostat, Serpentine and Power Steering Pump belts's. (Blauparts Kit)-6/2015
Updated Vibration Damper-6/2015
Inner/ Outer Tie Rod Assembly, right Rack Boot and fronted-end alignment-7/2015

...as well as MANY miscellaneous repairs along the way, too many to recall.

The bad of the car is, the cloth covering on the inside of the Moonroof needs to be replaced(it's missing) and there are a couple of the triangle trim pieces missing on the door's, the steering shaft surround is taped together (by the ignition key).

I have a bunch of parts laying around that can go with the car, notably the two Bentley Repair manuals, a new Power Steering Pump, a new front outer passenger door handle, extra hubcaps, etc. etc. (whatever I have) There is also a new right axle shaft that the outer joint came apart while installing and didn't have the time to re-assemble..
Another negative is that Page, AZ is in the middle of nowhere for most people so I am willing to take detail pictures of any parts of the car, I have a VCDS and can take scans of any component for a serious looker..I am willing to help with shipping or transport in any way I can. I have tried to be as candid as possible, PM me if you are interested and I can give you my Phone# or can email additional pictures.
Why am I selling the car? Since I've moved to AZ I need(want?) a high clearance 4 wheel drive vehicle, I've had my eye out for an older model 4Runner, recently one came available that I couldn't pass up. It came down to my Westfalia or the Passat...
Unfortunately I'm having issues uploading photos so at this point send me a PM with your email address and I can send you pictures of the car...

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Very nice B4V! I hope it goes to another deserving home. :)

veedubyoo

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat TDI Variant
Thanks guys, not an easy decision, always depended on this car for it's reliability and economy, never let me down.

veedubyoo

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat TDI Variant
I'll consider serious offers..someone must want a super clean, well maintained rustfree B4V!...or is the car just too far away?:(

diesel steve

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 b4v
I surprised it hasn't sold yet. With out seeing it in person it looks real nice with lots of maintenance. I would try a Craigslist add. Autotrader adds cost but might help. There is also Ebay and you could have a reserve price or start the auction with your lowest acceptable sale price with no reserve. Having said all that,you probably considered what I have said. I all ready have a wagon and don't need another. Good luck.

veedubyoo

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat TDI Variant
I appreciate that, I figured I would give the good folks here first chance. I know I live in a remote location. I plan to put it on Ebay at some point, the other option that I might consider is get it back to the NE US...
Although here is an opportunity for an awesome road trip, the Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Zion NP, Monument Valley etc. etc. are all within 2 hrs of Page! Buy the car and tour the West!

nwca

TDI
99 beetle tdi, 2003 golf TDI, 2003 beetle cabrio
nice car

Having owned one of these and been to those places I agree a great opportunity to buy a great car and tour some great places. Sweet looking ride.

sgillen12

TDI
2001 VW Jetta GL TDI
One of if not the cleanest wagon I've seen for sale. If I had the money id fly out to my friends ranch in AZ and take her off your hands.

TDI
1996 Passat B4V
With that price drop I'm now EXTREMELY INTERESTED. I'm 100% willing to fly out and drive it back, or have it shipped. Email sent, PM sent. Give me a call sometime today and we can talk about details.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
How is this still available! I swore if something ever happened to one of mine I'd head to AZ or a dry climate and pick a rust free one up, and this is just ripe for the picking.

FWIW, I flew to Toronto to buy Windex's B4V and it was $115 one way for the ticket. I drove the 850 miles home over two days and would do it again in a heartbeat.

TDI
1996 Passat B4V
That's what I was saying! I'm so damn excited about the possibility of owning this car I could throw up (not really, but you get it). I've been looking since March, and this one is exactly what I want. It's perfect to add to my tiny fleet of diesels, and a great car for a new family :)

veedubyoo

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat TDI Variant
Car is sold, hope the new owner loves this car as I have. I think he will, seems like the kind of guy that will take care of her, thanks for a smooth transaction.

deegingerkid

Beware the Ginger! Vendor
TDI
"Blurple" 2000 New Beetle 5M 2006 Jetta has been SOLD
Just got the joy of giving this car a once over. Best looking B4V I've ever seen. Very little rust anywhere! So excited this car lives near me now! :-D

Wally

Veteran Member
TDI
98 NB, 96 and 97 B4Vs, & 03 A4V
Still not quite ok with this. Being soooo close and missing it by mere days.
I guess I'll hafta get back to putting that VNT-17 in the beetle...

Congrats to the new owner.