Volvo's take on biodiesel

GotDiesel?

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
Volvo\'s take on biodiesel

Saw this on volvospy.com...

It was a follow up press release issued by Volvo a few weeks after Volvo completely condemned the use of biodiesel based on that study we discussed here a while back.

The post:

Volvo issued a press release concerning bio-diesel at the beginning of the month (May), suggesting it was 10 times more carcinogenic than low sulphur diesel
Since then, however, a following release has been issued by the company. Reproduced in full:

Volvo Cars is committed to raising awareness and discussion of environmental issues and, for instance, recently sponsored the Green Fleet Conference and Forum in Stratford.

In Volvo's opinion, the perfect fuel for the future is still open to discussion as there are advantages and disadvantages of each alternative.

In its press release of 1 May 2001 Volvo Car UK stated that biodiesel emissions are more carcinogenic than standard low sulphur diesel, based on research carried out at the Chalmers University of Technology in Gothenburg. Although this research contains some interesting results, a recent update from the University states that its study does not allow direct conclusions about corresponding emissions from diesel engines.

However, a broad view of several other studies of biodiesel indicates an increase of nitrous oxide emissions (NOx) compared with diesel. Regarding hydrocarbon emissions (HC), both reduced and increased emissions are reported and further studies are now continuing in all these areas.

Despite biodiesel's biodegradable and renewable benefits, Volvo Cars' experiences indicate some questionable environmental characteristics and, from a user perspective, can have some disadvantages compared to conventional fuels. The potential supply is limited to a few per cent of the current diesel consumption and so could never meet demand.

Where biodiesel is available, Volvo Cars advises a low grade mix (up to five per cent) with diesel. This will give the same carbon dioxide reduction contribution in relation to the amount of fuel available.

The Trouts

Veteran Member
TDI
was Bio-Pod <sniff>
Re: Volvo\'s take on biodiesel

Thanks for posting Volvo's pseudo-retraction of their preposterous postion on biodiesel. There is likely more behind their postion than meets the eye. Biodiesel use in Europe is much greater than here in the US, and may therefore represent a greater challenge to some of Volvo's trading partners.

GotDiesel posted:
<snip>
"In Volvo's opinion, the perfect fuel for the future is still open to discussion as there are advantages and disadvantages of each alternative."
<snip>

Ah, the PERFECT fuel for the future is what they are waiting for. Maybe while we are having THAT discussion (ad naseum), the use of renewable fuels, representing a "closed" carbon cycle should not be advocated. Har Har Har!

Why does Volvo think that biodiesel needs to be the "perfect" fuel? Is petro diesel, or gasoline a perfect fuel? This point is lame.

<snip>
"In its press release of 1 May 2001 Volvo Car UK stated that biodiesel emissions are more carcinogenic than standard low sulphur diesel, based on research carried out at the Chalmers University of Technology in Gothenburg. Although this research contains some interesting results, a recent update from the University states that its study does not allow direct conclusions about corresponding emissions from diesel engines."
<snip>

I'm glad to see that Volvo has realized that the Gothenburg study's results are not at all applicable to the emmission from diesel engines.

<snip>
"However, a broad view of several other studies of biodiesel indicates an increase of nitrous oxide emissions (NOx) compared with diesel. Regarding hydrocarbon emissions (HC), both reduced and increased emissions are reported and further studies are now continuing in all these areas."
<snip>

Here's how biodiesel emmissions compare to petrodiesel emmissions according to US EPA:

Unburned hydrocarbons -68% (68% less in biodiesel emmissions)
Carbon Monoxide -44%
Particulate Matter -40%
NOx +6%
Sulfates -100%
Ozone potential of speciated HC -50%
(more details at http://www.biodiesel.org/fuelfactsheet.htm)

Seems to me that the benefits of biodiesel use FAR outweigh the NOx increase.

<snip>
"Despite biodiesel's biodegradable and renewable benefits, Volvo Cars' experiences indicate some questionable environmental characteristics and, from a user perspective, can have some disadvantages compared to conventional fuels."
<snip>

"Some disadvantages" should be expected with the stated benefits - gee - renewable....hmmmmmmmmmm........is that a good thing or what?

<snip>
"The potential supply is limited to a few per cent of the current diesel consumption and so could never meet demand."
<snip>

What a crock! NEVER meet demand? Has this writer never taken a basic course in economics?

The potential suppy limited? Sure! But how limited compared to NONRENEWABLE fossil fuels?

Thanks again for the post GotDiesel?.

BTW, on the back of my New Beetle I have added lettering that says "GOT BIODIESEL?"

a hui hou

[ July 04, 2001: Message edited by: The Trouts ]

GotDiesel?

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS

Definitely some tortured logic at work there in the UK.

Are you getting a price break on your fuel in exchange for the graphics on your car?

There are places on the mainland that pay people to drive stickered up NBs...

aloha!

Dante

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2000 Golf GLS TDI

FYI I posted the original study Volvo relied on for the conclusions they are "retracting" here. In short the authors of the study pumped liquid (not atomized) biodiesel into a 550 degree reaction chamber with air and then sampled the combustion emissions. The authors of the study did not use biodiesel as fuel in any diesel engine, let alone a modern direct-injection turbo-diesel engine with up-to-date emissions controls

[ July 04, 2001: Message edited by: Dante Driver ]

schutzhund guy

where's the d5?
i wonder if volvo's position relates to
availability of their new diesel. they also
want us to buy a bi-fuel car - where do i
get a fill-up on that? the reason i'm here
at tdiclub is the response i got from VNA
when i inquired about the D5