throttle pedal fault

richyhall

TDI
audi 80 tdi
throttle pedal fault

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hi new to this site and hope somebody can help with my problem!!

i have a 1993 audi 80 tdi with a 1Z engine,when driving and you release the throttle to coast next time throttle is applied there is no response as if the throttle cable has snapped ,but its fly by wire!!dip the clutch engine drops to idle with a slight hiccup then away you go again till the next time throttle is released,it doesnt happen on gear changes or when stationary and if you go straight back on to throttle seems ok.it seems as if when coasting injection is stopped ( fuel economy?)but does not restart when going back to drive again unless left to go back to idle. temp makes no difference as it happens hot or cold .
any help/advice would be greatly appreciated

Rich hall

Tadr3

TDI
Audi 100 C4 2.5TDi 92'
throttle pedal fault

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hi new to this site and hope somebody can help with my problem!!

i have a 1993 audi 80 tdi with a 1Z engine,when driving and you release the throttle to coast next time throttle is applied there is no response as if the throttle cable has snapped ,but its fly by wire!!dip the clutch engine drops to idle with a slight hiccup then away you go again till the next time throttle is released,it doesnt happen on gear changes or when stationary and if you go straight back on to throttle seems ok.it seems as if when coasting injection is stopped ( fuel economy?)but does not restart when going back to drive again unless left to go back to idle. temp makes no difference as it happens hot or cold .
any help/advice would be greatly appreciated

Rich hall
I have the same problem but its Audi 100 C4 2.5 TDI (with MAF, dunno the code)... can anyone help us please :)

Tadr3

TDI
Audi 100 C4 2.5TDi 92'
forgot to say, changed crankshaft sensor, tps, and some thing on the fuel pump, no difference...

Conan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GLS TDI
Tadr, have you scanned the car's codes? A bad throttle position sensor should be throwing codes like crazy, I would think.

Padrino

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 / Golf 1.9 TDI 5-speed
I believe your issue is the pedal assembly itself. It is very easy to replace, because is hold by I believe one bolt and one wire clip (3 or 4 wires). It takes about 10 min.
I'm guessing a faulty throttle position sensor (located near the top of the arm for the gas pedal) - probably a mechanical failure so the sensor doesn't notice you stepping on the pedal - an actual electrical fault would likely throw a cel.
Please view this as probable issue, not definite. perhaps you should read some error codes before you do anything so you are sure what the fault is.

Tadr3

TDI
Audi 100 C4 2.5TDi 92'
i had some codes, its pre OBD

whole pedal with TPS was changed, brake switch

codes that were before:

now it only happens when it gets warm, after driving 10+ kilometers...

EDIT:

and i changed this show on number 30

Last edited:

Tadr3

TDI
Audi 100 C4 2.5TDi 92'
what about fuel pump, maybe its not in the faze. i mean could that happen if ignition is advanced or retarded?

Tadr3

TDI
Audi 100 C4 2.5TDi 92'
ok, maybe i found something... i changed a four pin thermal switch under the hose wher thermostat is, screwed in cylider head, with 3 pin thermal switch from my c3 audi 100 2.5 tdi... the problem is now that it runs out of throttle pedal as soon as i start it, even when its cold. should i buy new a new one? is there a way to test it?

Tadr3

TDI
Audi 100 C4 2.5TDi 92'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvEhFvMLjnQ

0-7 sec - accelerating
from 7-11 i let go of the gas pedal and then nothing, no response
from 11 and on i pressed clutch so ecu or something restarts so i can get response from gas pedal...

the story goes all over again if i relase the gas pedal

Nutsnbolts

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2000 Jetta, Silver Arrow
It's almost like something thinks that the brake is on- check your brake switches, and your cruise control switches. If all of those don't agree, it may ignore the TPS signal altogether. It should not be something in the pump.

-Rich

Tadr3

TDI
Audi 100 C4 2.5TDi 92'
It's almost like something thinks that the brake is on- check your brake switches, and your cruise control switches. If all of those don't agree, it may ignore the TPS signal altogether. It should not be something in the pump.

-Rich
brake switch changed, tps changed... i'll check the switch tomorow again

edit: dont have cruise control