Clean Diesel Technology Tour to Underscore Diesel’s Role

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
http://home.businesswire.com/portal...d=news_view&newsId=20070418005016&newsLang=en

Clean Diesel Technology Tour to Underscore Diesel’s Role in Improving Air Quality and Reducing Petroleum Consumption

Diesel Technology Forum-Sponsored Event Represents Largest Gathering Ever of Clean Diesel Executives, Vehicles and Technologies

SACRAMENTO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The Clean Diesel Technology Tour, the largest gathering ever of clean diesel executives, vehicles and technologies, will take place at the Sacramento Convention Center on Thursday, April 19, to spotlight diesel’s role in meeting California challenges regarding clean air standards, climate change and fuel efficiency. The Tour, sponsored by the Diesel Technology Forum (DTF), will offer industry, government officials and representatives from the environmental community the opportunity to interact and exchange ideas while reviewing the impressive improvements of modern diesel technologies.

Allen Schaeffer, executive director of the Diesel Technology Forum, will speak at the event, along with state Sen. Alan Lowenthal (D-Long Beach), Dan Skopec, Undersecretary of the California Environmental Protection Agency, and executives from Caterpillar, Cummins, John Deere, International Truck & Engine, General Motors, DaimlerChrysler and Robert Bosch LLC as well as the Engine Manufacturers Association.

In addition, the results of a survey commissioned by the DTF will be released. The results will show current California residents’ attitudes toward the impacts of their personal vehicle choices on climate change, and their perceptions of the diesel industry’s environmental progress over the past two decades.

At the Tour, Schaeffer will discuss the importance of clean diesel technology to California today and its future potential. Lowenthal, who has introduced legislation to help curb emissions at California ports, will talk about environmental challenges at the ports and in goods movement. Skopec, Undersecretary of the California Environmental Protection Agency and Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger’s spokesperson on the state’s low-carbon fuel initiative, will discuss the Governor’s views regarding climate change issues that industry needs to address.

Executives from Caterpillar, Cummins, DaimlerChrysler, John Deere Power Systems, Robert Bosch LLC, International Truck & Engine, General Motors and other diesel industry manufacturers also will make individual presentations and discuss plans for the introduction of new clean diesel vehicles, engines and related technology in the near future.

Ride and Drive
The event will feature an opportunity to see and drive some of the cleanest, most fuel-efficient clean diesel vehicles made, including several brought from Europe to demonstrate the state-of-art in light-duty diesel technology. Among the vehicles are a 2007 Audi A6 TDI, BMW 535d, European Chrysler 300, Mercedes E320 CDI Bluetec, diesel Smart car, 2008 Jetta TDI prototype, European Honda Accord diesel and a currently available Dodge Ram pickup with a Cummins turbodiesel engine that already meets 2010 emissions regulations. There will also be displays of 2007 emissions-compliant Class 8 trucks, Tier III off-road equipment and a wide array of emissions-control technologies that are making new and older diesels the cleanest ever, and ready for use in California’s strict regulatory environment.

In light-duty cars, trucks and SUVs, diesel yields up to 40 percent more miles per gallon than unleaded gasoline, an important benefit with the challenge of today’s high fuel prices. Diesel became even more attractive with rollout of ultra-low sulfur diesel (ULSD) fuel in California last September and nationwide last October. The sulfur content of this new, clean diesel is 15 parts per million, down previously from 150 parts per million in California, reducing emissions from diesels and enabling a new generation of clean engines for the entire spectrum of diesel-powered equipment. These new engines are up to 90 percent cleaner than the previous generation of diesel engines. Cars and SUVs expressly designed to burn clean diesel, which will make them as clean as gasoline-powered engines, are expected to be introduced in California starting in 2008.

The Clean Diesel Technology Tour will start at 9 am on Thursday, April 19 in Hall B of the Sacramento Convention Center with a press conference including Schaeffer and executives from Diesel Technology Forum member companies. That will be followed by individual member company presentations and “ride-and-drive” demonstrations. A luncheon will feature keynote addresses by Lowenthal and Skopec.

About the Diesel Technology Forum
The Diesel Technology Forum (DTF) is an association of companies that manufacture diesel engines, components, fuel, and emissions control systems. The DTF brings together the diesel industry, the broad diesel user community, civic and public interest leaders, government regulators, academics, scientists, the petroleum industry and public health researchers to encourage the exchange of information, ideas, scientific findings and points-of-view about current and future uses of diesel power technology.

tdi4mpg

TDI
2006 Jetta 5-speed
I'm going tomorrow. I should be able to get some seat time in the '08 Jetta prototype. I'll take my camera.

- Mike

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
tdi4mpg said:
I'm going tomorrow. I should be able to get some seat time in the '08 Jetta prototype. I'll take my camera.

- Mike
See if they removed the independent rear suspension yet.

gsh

TDI
jetta 2004 charcoal & passat 1996 silver/metallic
Wish I could go tomorrow but I sure encourage all of my CA TDI peers to attend this event.

We really need representation from TDI club and particularly those with knowledge about emissions, health issues and benefits of both clean diesel and biodiesel as alternative fuel source.

While we all rail heavily about what we perceive as idiocy coming from CARB (i.e. its ban on new diesels x 10yrs) I must admit that without pressure from CARB, the US EPA may not have moved so quickly to require ULSD from Big-O and cleaner diesel emissions standards from car manufactures. That said, I still think CARB members are too influenced by radical environmentalists (e.g. remember they told us to use MTBE?).

bwoodTDI

TDI
2006.5 Jetta
Being a newbie to the forum (trying to brown-nose :) ) I just thought I would post the Diesel Technology Forums official page of the event (it includes both days agenda): http://www.dieselforum.org/about-the-forum/contact/clean-diesel-technology-tour/ I wish they would have something like this up in Oregon. I'm going to pose this question to Sasha Friedman (sasha@SQbiofuels.com) at SeQuential Biofuels to see if maybe they can pull something together.

djbobo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta 5-speed
Besides maybe the VW and MB will they be able to legally start those dirty non-compliant cars here in the USA?
Are any ,besides the VW & MB, even 45 state legal - Let alone California?
I don't think the Audi Q7 V-12 that allready meets the Euro-5 (2010) emissions is 45 state legal. If it were, people would be importing them right and left.
Isn't it funny that for a diesel (like the MB Bluetec) to meet the CARB requirements it has become the greenest car in the WORLD - yes the WORLD - that's even greener than the Prius. unfair hurdle.
Personally I think the diesels that meet the Euro-5 (2010 emissions) should be allowed to be imported at least in the 45 states.

Cars mentioned--
2007 Audi A6 TDI, BMW 535d, European Chrysler 300, Mercedes E320 CDI Bluetec, diesel Smart car, 2008 Jetta TDI prototype, European Honda Accord diesel .

tdi4mpg

TDI
2006 Jetta 5-speed
djbobo said:
Besides maybe the VW and MB will they be able to legally start those dirty non-compliant cars here in the USA?
Are any ,besides the VW & MB, even 45 state legal - Let alone California?
I don't think the Audi Q7 V-12 that allready meets the Euro-5 (2010) emissions is 45 state legal. If it were, people would be importing them right and left.
The A6 is a demonstrator owned by Bosch. It's a Euro-spec diesel.

- Mike

lbhskier37

Veteran Member
TDI
none yet (2008 soon)
tdi4mpg said:
The A6 is a demonstrator owned by Bosch. It's a Euro-spec diesel.

- Mike
Speaking of A6, my buddy from work called me today from his business trip in southern germany. He was driving from Munich to Stuttgart in a rented A6 wagon diesel! Not sure which engine option it has, but he said it has tons of power and he loves it! Maybe we will have a new convert when he gets back.

dieselyeti

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE (DSG)
TDIMeister said:
Allen Schaeffer, executive director of the Diesel Technology Forum, will speak at the event, along with state Sen. Alan Lowenthal (D-Long Beach), Dan Skopec, Undersecretary of the California Environmental Protection Agency, and executives from Caterpillar, Cummins, John Deere, International Truck & Engine, General Motors, DaimlerChrysler and Robert Bosch LLC as well as the Engine Manufacturers Association.
Interesting they mention GM and DC execs being there, but what about the mfr reps for all the cars they're showcasing? In order to promote this new clean diesel tech, all the auto mfrs should get on board and help sponsor a national tour of this kind. Diesels won't become mainstream unless consumer are educated about their benefits.

BTW, I loved DD's link about the Prius failing the emissions test. CA doesn't have the floor rollers to do dynamic testing?

Last edited:

tdi4mpg

TDI
2006 Jetta 5-speed
I drove it. I'll do a proper write-up and post pictures later.

First impression: as significant and noticeable a change as when digital music put vinyl records in the closet. They'll be a few holdouts loyal to the VE and PD motors, but the vast majority are going to jump on common rail injection and never look back.

RedBenz83

TDI
'02 Jetta GLS Auto
No word of additional events, so how can it be called a tour? More importantly, why can't they do one down here in Southern California?! We've got plenty of ignorant Prius huggers down here, too! :D

tdi4mpg

TDI
2006 Jetta 5-speed
2008 Jetta TDI Prototype Drive

Now's probably a good time to add some capacity to the TDI Club forum servers, because come late March next year there's going to be a lot more posts showing up in the "Stories when filling up at gasoline station" thread. At least today engine clatter gives women and small children some indication you're driving an oil burner when you pull up to the pump. But if you're driving a 2008 Jetta TDI, innocents are really going to get freaked out watching you put diesel in your gasser. The clatter is history.

I drove my 2006 Jetta TDI to Sacramento to attend the Clean Diesel Technology Tour conference put on by the Diesel Technology Forum for the benefit of California legislators and CARB members to get an up close and behind-the-wheel look at modern clean diesel cars and trucks. Everything from a Smart Fortwo uber compact with a 40-hp / 74 lb-ft 0.8-liter four-cylinder mill behind the seats to a mighty Dodge Ram 2500 powered by a 350-hp / 650 lb-ft 6.7-liter Cummins I6 was available to drive. But I was only interested in the 2.0-liter 2008 Jetta TDI mule Volkswagen was kind enough to bring west. Its 140-hp 235 lb-ft 2.0 direct injection motor was the only diesel that could make me drive straight from San Francisco to California’s capitol without stopping for Starbucks (multiple times) along the way.

First things first after arriving at the Sacramento Convention Center. Check in and get credentials. Where’s the Jetta? Cappuccino! Jetta’s gotta be around here somewhere. Listen to opening remarks from industry leaders. Clean diesel…blah blah blah…Tier 2 Bin 5…blah blah blah…95% reduction in particulates…blah blah blah…hey buddy, can you understand any word that Rudolf Thom (Director of MB passenger car development) just said? Found the Jetta! Grab keys and ingress into cabin with VW advanced powertrain engineer and manager John Tillman. Tillman is more experienced with hydrogen powered fuel cell vehicles than dino burning diesels, but he’ll suffice for this ride and drive.

On the outside, the silver 2008 Jetta VW brought to the Diesel Tour looks just like the outgoing 2006.5 model - with TDI lettering on the rear trunk and small diesel emblems on the front fenders. Only the manufacturer plates give away that this might not be your average pride of Wolfsburg compact four door sedan. As soon as I started the engine it’s confirmed. Wait, is the engine even on? Yep - it’s that quiet on the inside. No compression thrum from a PD engine enters this Mark V’s interior. The TDI’s new common rail based architecture squirts fuel into the four valve cylinders through piezo injectors so quietly that I could swear I’m in a Jetta with the 2.0-liter gas engine.

Tillman explains that this mule is pretty much identical to what we’ll be able to buy early next year. No urea injection to keep this Jetta’s breath clean. It’s scrubbed using sophisticated engine management and a diesel particulate filter to remove all that evil NOX and soot.

Reach for the 6-speed DSG shifter and we’re off. My 2006 is a 5-speed manual, so right away I’m noticing a difference not having to shift. The engine in the tester is already warm, so no worries about revving past 2,500 RPM on Sactown’s surface streets. Right away I also pick up on the extra torque this new TDI brings to the party. But it’s a few more minutes until I can work my way through the remnants of downtown rush hour traffic to find a freeway onramp that’s free and clear and ready to accept this quiet diesel that the test really begins.

0 to 60 comes fast. I’m going to go with my gut, because I didn’t bring a timer or instrumentation, and say the prototype is at least a good 3+ seconds faster than my PD Jetta. The six-speed DSG has a much better range of gears to launch and cycle through. And, dare I say it, it shifts faster than I do. Torque is constantly applied and always present. No flat spots, like before I switch gears in my Jetta. And at 80 miles per hour the 2.0-liter still has legs to run further at top gear. I’m usually around 2,750 RPM in my 5-speed PD at this speed. In the mule I was only at about 2,500 RPM at 85. Not only is it quiet but it’s extremely quick, strong, and it’s got loads of stamina.

I ask about fuel economy. Tillman says that it will be “comparable” to the 1.9-liter but that official EPA figures aren’t ready yet. However, he lets me know that in tests it’s had combined averages of 38 city to 45 highway, and on the freeway the 2.0-liter tester has sometimes reached 65 mpg.

After the drive I also have a chance to speak with Stuart Johnson, Volkswagen’s technical group manager in the Engineering and Environmental Office, about some of the new Jetta’s technical high points.

As has been reported earlier online, in addition to the 6-speed DSG gearbox, a new 6-speed manual shifter will also be available on the production 2008 TDI Jetta.

In addition to four valves per cylinder, a variable injection rate of up to 5 shots per stroke from the common rail's piezo electric injectors helps dynamically "shape" pre and post ignition and combustion to quiet down the motor.

The pricing premium over a PD equipped Mark V will be around $900, although pricing still isn’t final. Versus the gas powered Jetta, the premium to burn oil will be about $2000. But even with a higher price tag, with 50-state emissions certification Johnson expects the number of diesel equipped Jetta’s sold in the U.S. to soar to approximately 30% of total Jetta sales volume, up from around 20% today.

And, in response to the critically debated topic about which oil to use in 2.0-liter cars, here’s what Johnson says. “It will probably be 505.01. I think that’s all we’re going to require.”

Mark you calendars. Production starts in January with the first cars hitting dealers by the end of March 2008.

Did I say how quiet this car is?

Last edited:

lbhskier37

Veteran Member
TDI
none yet (2008 soon)
Well Im first with the Q and A I guess :). What trim level was it? It appears to have leatherette but with the multifunction stearingwheel like the diesel SEs today. Sunroof? Also was the radio the same as we have today or is there hope for ID3 tags to show when you hook up an ipod?

DSG service interval still the same? Any extra/new features or lost features you notice in the cabin?

tdi4mpg

TDI
2006 Jetta 5-speed
lbhskier37 said:
Well Im first with the Q and A I guess :). What trim level was it? It appears to have leatherette but with the multifunction stearingwheel like the diesel SEs today. Sunroof? Also was the radio the same as we have today or is there hope for ID3 tags to show when you hook up an ipod?

DSG service interval still the same? Any extra/new features or lost features you notice in the cabin?
Yes, it was leatherette. No sunroof. I didn't turn on the radio or ask about DSG service intervals.

It still has independent rear suspension.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
tdi4mpg said:
It still has independent rear suspension.
Cool. Too bad they didn't have the engine cover removed for a good photo.

tdi4mpg

TDI
2006 Jetta 5-speed
lbhskier37 said:
I heard rumors that the 2008s would have the euro style LED tailights like the Passats. Any truth to that?
I didn't ask about that. The mule only had incandescent rear lamps.

- Mike

wxman

Veteran Member
TDI
Other Diesel
http://www.dieselforum.org/newsarticle/article/768/1/

Survey Shows 79% of Californians Concerned about Energy Security

Diesel Technology Viewed as Part of Environment, Emissions Solution

SACRAMENTO, Calif. – A significant majority of Californians are concerned about climate change and the state’s reliance on imported energy, and they view clean diesel technology a positive solution to both problems, according to the results of a public opinion poll released today.

Most Californians believe their personal vehicle is a contributor to climate change, they want the government to have a fuel-neutral approach to all technologies when looking for solutions to environmental challenges, and they believe state state’s air quality has improved or remained the same over the past 20 years, the poll shows.

The public opinion survey was conducted April 12-14 by David Binder Research of San Francisco. The survey had a sample size of 500 voters and a margin of error of plus or minus 4.4 percent.

The survey was sponsored by the Diesel Technology Forum (DTF), a non-profit public education and outreach organization made up of diesel vehicle and engine makers, components manufacturers and fuel providers. The DTF, based in Frederick, Md., released the survey results today as part of its Clean Diesel Technology Tour, the largest gathering ever of clean diesel executives, vehicles and technologies, at the Sacramento Convention Center.

“These survey findings underscore the role in California of clean diesel as a competitive technology for goods movement, personal transportation and near-term solutions to critical energy and environmental challenges,” said DTF Executive Director Allen Schaeffer.

Some 79 percent of California voters are “very concerned” or “somewhat concerned” that California continues to import an increasing percentage of its energy, while 63 percent are very or somewhat concerned about climate change, .

When asked, “Do you think your personal vehicle has any impact on the earth’s climate,” 60 percent of respondents said yes, 33 percent or survey respondents said no, and 7 percent didn’t know or declined to answer.

The survey asked respondents to choose what type of vehicle they would purchase to show their concern for the environment. Some 60 percent of Californians said they would choose a hybrid-electric vehicle over a clean diesel vehicle (29 percent) – “both of which had the same fuel economy and emissions output.”

However, those percentages changed when respondents were asked if they knew the clean diesel option was “up to $2,000 less expensive than the hybrid electric option, and both options had comparable emissions and fuel economy.” In that case, 54 percent said they would choose a clean diesel vehicle over a hybrid electric vehicle (38 percent).

Schaeffer said the survey results added statistical support for what most in the diesel industry suspected. “Californians recognize the key role diesel technology plays in the state’s goods movement and farm and construction industries, but they surprised us somewhat in their recognition of diesel passenger cars,” Schaeffer said.

“We know clean diesel vehicles get up to 40 percent better fuel economy than comparable gasoline vehicles. And we know clean diesel vehicle emissions technology is making them as clean as gasoline vehicles,” Schaeffer said.

“What we wanted to know is: If a clean diesel is cost-competitive or superior to a hybrid vehicle, would consumers be likely to choose a clean diesel? How much does the price of the technology affect the market competition between both platforms,” he said.

“Now we know that consumers are likely to choose a clean diesel vehicle over a hybrid electric once they compare fuel economy, emissions and price. This suggests to us that consumers recognize other fuel efficient technologies and are receptive to them,” Schaeffer said.
Automakers are set to begin introducing clean diesel passenger vehicles in during the 2008 model year.

Other significant findings of the research include:
  • Some 65 percent of Californians believe the state’s air quality has improved or remained the same during the past 20 years, while only 9 percent believe it has gotten worse.
  • Asked if government policies to reduce energy consumption and air pollution should favor certain technologies, or let technology improvements meet specific standards, 64 percent favored results-driven public policy while 27 percent favored government picking favored technologies.
  • On a related question, 69 percent of respondents said government should not choose between compressed natural gas or clean diesel powered large vehicles if both technologies comparably reduced fuel consumption and emissions.
  • Asked “which do you think is the most likely way that climate change will be addressed,” 28 percent said “new technologies driven by consumer demand,” 20 percent said “new laws and regulations,” 12 percent said “individual action,” and 32 percent said “a combination of each.”
  • When people think of “diesel,” 61 percent think of heavy-duty trucks, 16 percent think of passenger vehicles, and 8 percent think of off-road equipment like tractors.
“We commissioned this poll because the diesel industry is committed to helping find technology solutions to California’s pressing concerns,” Schaeffer said. “We’re trying to measure a baseline of knowledge about clean diesel technology among the state’s residents and how that baseline shifts when people are given more information. These results provide us with a great measure of hope.”

William J Toensing

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 TDI Jetta "value edition" 4 door
I live in Calif. & resent not being able to buy a new diesel here thanks to the efforts of our CARB Nazis who are anti diesel. We have an iniatiative proceedure here in Calif. If the auto manufacturers would sponser & promote an iniatiatve to prevent the state from imposing any more stringent regulations than the federal regulations on any car that gets over 40 MPG, we would be able to get fuel efficient diesels here, & I would be glad to sign & gather signatures for such a proposition. Why can they sell Ford, Chev, GMC, & Dodge diesel pickup diesels here but not a diesel that gets over 40 MPG?

cincin

TDI
2012 Jetta TDi
i want...very nice write up...anything about it being an actual stick 6 speed? not dsg...