EGR questions... totally lost

DieselDuberrr

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta
Guys,
I have done searches, but the answers im finding are just leaving me more confused than I already am. Hoping one of you can weigh in or point me to a link that can educate me a little.

I have an 02 ALH. I need to clean out my intake and egr but I want to get rid of all that extra pipework associated to the EGR system...
However, I want to retain the ASV if possible. I assume, I can just clean and replace the egr but disconnect and remove the system and install blanking plates.... TuneMyEuro or IDParts sell a blanking kit with a EGT probe etc....

does this sound right?

I also have a PD150 intake that I planned to use, but to do the same thing, I assume I have to get a PD150 EGR for the larger pipework... Extra cost as I cant seem to locate one here in Canada / USA. So I will likely end up selling that item.

Seems like the more I read the more confused I get. New to Diesels and VWs..

thanks guys, really appreciate any responses

Pic of my dilemma

Last edited:

mrfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (Reflex Silver) , 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon (Black)
Yes, remove the EGR and install the block-off plates. The ASV will still work fine. You should get a check engine light from not having an EGR, but you can ignore that or get a tune which will make the ECU stop checking for the EGR.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
If the EGR is intact and working, you are better off to leave it in place. The coolers themselves on the ALH rarely ever fail, nor do any of the pipes. About the only part that fails is the EGR valve itself, which is integral with the anti-shudder valve that you want to keep anyway, so...

You can get a dynamic EGR tune done, that takes advantage of the waste heat from the exhaust to help get the engine up to temp quicker, which improves cabin heat and will help the engine run better, use less fuel, and last longer.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
As said above you can remove all the metal pipes and install block off plates. You also need to connect the two coolant hoses that you pull off the cooler. One goes to the heater core and the other to the cooler. You can use a thermal 90 from the auto store and shorten one of the hoses so it doesn't kink and stop the flow through the core.

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
First, are you sure you need to clean your intake manifold? What makes you think so?
Are you having any limp mode or drivability issues? Be sure to check the 'usual suspects'.
If you aren't mechanically skilled with tools and a place to work then I'd 'leave it be'.
It's tricky to clean the intake ports and you should read up on what it takes to do it.
Living where you do, you will probably be happier leaving the EGR in place and
getting a dynamic tune as OH suggests.

The PD 150 manifold will only be useful after you approach, well, 150 HP.

Last edited:

DieselDuberrr

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta
Thanks for the input guys

Easiest option is a Dynamic EGR Tune. Malone are around the corner from me, so I will likely get a stage 1 at the same time from them.

Seems like the easier option in the long run.

I checked and the inside is pretty gummed up and there is obvious carbon deposits in there reducing the size of the pipe. so Ill swap out to a clean one and clean egr. Hopefully this will be the last time i have to do that for a while with the dynamic.

dieselboy55

TDI
Jetta
Remove the cooler and block off that egr after you clean everything. It's not worth getting an adaptive tune; you live in Vancouver with mild winters. Included with the Malone tune, you can get the egr cel tuned out.
These guys are in Abbotsford and sell the block off kit. http://www.jsperformance.ca/index.php?cPath=164_165_136&osCsid=a2fb6a218733ac257258c0db5772fd95
This is 100k km after being previously cleaned. Block it off so you don't have to reclean the intake and runners.

Last edited: