Wow, this 2002 Jetta TDI has serious low miles!

mrfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (Reflex Silver) , 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon (Black)
So the timing belt should be replaced even though the mileage is low? (not my car, just thought the low mileage was noteworthy)

Last edited:

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Uh, yeah. Like before you start it after the money and title changes hands (obviously start and run it first, but that's when the title is in the SELLER's hands!)

That's a car with a belt in it that is 15+ years old. It could quite-easily break if you look at it wrong. Were I to buy it I'd show up with a flat-bed or front-wheel tow setup and my truck, towing it home where it would immediately get a full set of fluid changes and a timing belt kit.

BTW I'd fully expect to have brake caliper problems and perhaps a master-cylinder and ABS problem too. The brake fluid, being original, is likely full of moisture and the corrosion in the system is highly likely to be an issue. You'll know when you flush it out but to expect to need calipers, possibly a master and maybe an ABS pump is not unexpected. Oh, and all vacuum and similar hoses will need replaced too.

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
... the front bumper looks to have been replaced, missing grills and not lined up, plastics pushed around

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
... the front bumper looks to have been replaced, missing grills and not lined up, plastics pushed around
Yup, obviously took a hit of some sort, aside from overpriced, it would be a good idea to look at carfax for mileage verification. Also verify mileage from the ecu with VCDS. No telling what rubber parts have hardened also, not worth any more than any other MK4 TDI in that condition.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
LOL...just got a BEW manual with 70k on it. TB done with water pump at 55k...so I drove it home. Price was slightly lower. Condition comparable...:)

I see plenty of, 'not worth it' writings, but I *NEVER* see them except for 'sold it 5 mins after posting'( well, never seen them close to 'lower' ).
cheers,
Douglas

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Yeah, or the driver might just have hooked the bumper cover on a parking lot curb. That would account for the belly pan coming loose as well.

This would be just the thing for me, but my son won't cooperate. His reply was, "I don't know if I can enable this behavior." (He already noted I have too many TDIs.) I just don't have the PTO days left to fly out there and do the work before driving it back here to the salty freezer box that is New Hampshire in the winter.

Oh, well...

PH

mrfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (Reflex Silver) , 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon (Black)
I would guess since this car is in Colorado it would have no rust at least. I have a friend that I am helping look for an ALH, but this one will require too much work for her. Plus it is in a different state.

oldbird1965

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 98 NB, Silver 06 NB, White 98 NB Green 02 NB Silver 03 NB
Now you guys have me nervous buying a 2002 Beetle with 62K. lol

The car came from NM where its dry so the brake fluid I would think would be 'moisture free' but IDK.

For sure doing timing belt!!

Last edited:

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf 1.9 alh gls silver
Change brake fluid every two years, moisture gets in. If you don’t, no problem until brake lines leak. Usually it’ll warn you in an intersection or downtown. Happens with any car.
I replaced headlights and when I put bumper back it didn’t line up as perfectly as before. Could be not lined up for all kinds of reasons, if it still has a bumper it’s probably minor.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
I GUARANTEE that if the vehicle has not been maintained the brakes are screwed. Maybe not instantly, but the next time you go to change the pads and retract the pistons you're going to get a nasty surprise (one or more will leak or seize, and the master may be hosed too.)

It would be too expensive for me to flat-bed it home (fuel both ways on my 'Burban to go get it) for me to be seriously interested given what I KNOW I will have to spend on it. But if you're reasonably close, or have access to somewhere you can do the absolutely NECESSARY things (e.g. timing belt) and then drive it home under its own power it's a different story -- then it sounds interesting.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
It would be nice to have. Manual swap from a BEW, nozzle, IC and clutch upgrade...if you want it bad enough...LOL For me, after putting a few miles on my '02 ALH, it was nice to replace it with a significantly lower miles car I did not have to relearn where all the knobs and switches were( and I like the MK4 anyway ).

Fortunately I have another tdi I can drag it behind. Lurch can eat the road like nobody's business and not consume too much fuel doing it. 23 mpg dragging a Jetta to MI from near Philly.
cheers,
Douglas

ktmkris

Veteran Member
TDI
MALONE TUNES DEALER , 2005 beetle tdi dsg, 1998 vw beetle 2.slow, 2003 beetle turbo s, 1998 beetle 2.0, 2006 beetle bew
I have a 1977 dodge w200 with 9,748 miles. It was ordered by the military Vietnam era where it wasn’t needed. The NC highway patrol acquired it where it also sat for many years. By luck of the draw I picked it up from a auction for $1700 with 7,800 miles. All paper work proving miles to be correct. No cracks in dash, seat, perfect seatbelts just faded. That being said the truck was in worse shape then one that had been driven. All weather stripping was rotten, anything rubber was trashed and not a seal in engine or transmission could hold fluid. Proof that sitting is no good for cars

oldbird1965

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 98 NB, Silver 06 NB, White 98 NB Green 02 NB Silver 03 NB
I also have used a tow dolly only because I can't find a tow bar of some kind. I think its OK to tow four down if its a manual but I have searched for a tow bar and can't find one. I think a bug would look good four down behind a motor home. I know my Geo Tracker does.