ALH upgrades, opinions.

munly

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI, 5 Speed
Hello,
I'm going to begin collecting parts for my car. My current mods are in my signature. I'm planning on doing the turbo, exhaust and intercooler.

From Darkside: Upgraded side mount intercooler kit for the VNT-17 and the flexible oil feed line.

From Buzzken: 2.5" turbo-back with two resonators.

From IDparts: VNT-17, 3Bar MAP, oil return line.

From Malone: Re-tune to accommodate the new parts.

I'm not sure if I'm missing anything. Exhaust studs, nuts and bolts I should be replacing while I'm doing the work, other small items?
Also, I'm looking for a dual boost/EGT gauge and the necessary hardware to install it. I'll most likely mount it on the dash near the A-pillar as I don't like the steering column mount. Thanks.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
I guess my mods aren't in my signature.

.216 Nozzles, Stage 3 Malone, EGR/EGR Cooler Delete, SMF, Bilstein TC Sport
What radio do you have. I used a hole saw to cut a place in the stash spot under the single din. Use a piece of 2x4 to get the angle a little up and to the left as well as keeping the saw where it needed to be.
I just fabricated one of pvc for the steering column that sits to the left so I can see the cluster lights.

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
I hate the Mickey mouse pod but I've gotten used to it. Glow shift gauges are very close to the dash color scheme but they are very bright, sometimes I turn them to all red at night to dim them. The "dim" is still too bright for me.

Have you went with stiffer bushings? The soft stock ones allows for toe in under acceleration and not only makes for weird torque steer but will chew up tires in quick order.

Audi TT bushings are hard to beat for the buck

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Get a WaveTrac LSDfirst. Both wheels driving gets all the power to the wheels.

My path went like this: tune first, PP520's, clutch slip, performance clutch, RC2, RC3, FMIC, stock turbo died, VNT 17-22, RC4, wheel spin, WaveTrac, PP764, rod through side of block.

Now that engine has imploded so I am selling a very nice FMIC. I also have a dual steering wheel pod with boost and EGT with MyCruiseAgent thermocouple

I also recommend upgrading to Koni Yellows and one up spring rate known as the MoGolf Mod. Of course I replaced my whole suspension 4 years ago and it is all going into my 2003 Jetta Wagon

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
What SMF clutch kit did you go with? Will it handle 350ft/lbs or so torque? Not that you should be too close to that number it leaves room for error

And yes, peloquin or wavetrac dif...set a solid foundation for the power before you make power. If I had it to do over again I'd go clutch and LSD first, then suspension or same time as the transmission removal, and then power mods...

I have super pro poly bushings throughout the front end in the modded car and stock bushings/TT LCA bushings in my stock TDI and I love the TT bushings better, the stock car handles much better and may become the modded car soon

Last edited:

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
What SMF clutch kit did you go with? Will it handle 350ft/lbs or so torque? Not that you should be too close to that number it leaves room for error

And yes, peloquin or wavetrac dif...set a solid foundation for the power before you make power. If I had it to do over again I'd go clutch and LSD first, then suspension or same time as the transmission removal, and then power mods...

I have super pro poly bushings throughout the front end in the modded car and stock bushings/TT LCA bushings in my stock TDI and I love the TT bushings better, the stock car handles much better and may become the modded car soon

$448.95
Report a Lower Price
SBC Stage 2 Endurance Clutch Kit for SMF 350 ft-lb capacity

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
SBC Stage 2 Daily will be plenty for this setup. And it drives more smoothly than the Endurance, in my experience. with .216s and a 10mm pump I'd guess you're going to make about 140/260 at the wheels. Maybe 150/270.

Only LSD I've had in a TDI was briefly in my track day car. It's a nice upgrade, but unnecessary on a street car. If you're concerned about traction, get better tires. Same with poly bushings. I think they transmit way too much vibration in a daily driver.

derek5120

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta GLS
X2 on the glowshift gauges. I've got pretty much the same setup but with a fmic, wish I went bigger then .216 leaves more on the table for later.

munly

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI, 5 Speed
I'm not sure of the brand of SMF that was installed in the car. I had issues with the stock DMF shortly after buying the car in 2012. The stealership recommended the SMF kit. May be Sachs?
Either way, that will be next on the list after the turbo, etc.
When replacing the turbo do you replace the exhaust studs and exhaust stud washers as well? I have a feeling some may come out and some may stay in place.

Last edited:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Often you don't need to, but many will cut or break them to ease removal. If you do get them off (impact) they generrlly clean up nice. IIWM, I'd just buy new ones, but I have a great hardware store a mile away.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
I've never had an issue. The nuts are copper, or brass, alloy of some sort. Don't over torque, but, definitely torque evenly and never touch then when hot.
Often you don't need to, but many will cut or break them to ease removal. If you do get them off (impact) they generrlly clean up nice. IIWM, I'd just buy new ones, but I have a great hardware store a mile away.
Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
SBC Stage 2 Daily will be plenty for this setup. And it drives more smoothly than the Endurance, in my experience. with .216s and a 10mm pump I'd guess you're going to make about 140/260 at the wheels. Maybe 150/270.

Only LSD I've had in a TDI was briefly in my track day car. It's a nice upgrade, but unnecessary on a street car. If you're concerned about traction, get better tires. Same with poly bushings. I think they transmit way too much vibration in a daily driver.
I agree, I like my Jetta with TT bushings more than the super pro, they feel very taught but not harsh like the poly.

munly

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI, 5 Speed
Just an update. I have the SMIC kit and oil feed line from Darkside (nice workmanship). I'll be contacting Buzzken for the exhaust shortly.
Here is a list of parts I've complied from IDparts. Let me know if I'm missing anything for the work I'm planning. You'll notice I don't have an EGT gauge there. I'm not sure if I need one.

Garrett VNT-17 Turbocharger (A4 ALH) $775.00
Oil Return Line (ALH) Oil Return Line Gasket: Hardware: Bolts $92.90
Turbocharger Installation Lubricant $12.95
Complete Exhaust Hanger Kit (A4) Hardware: $73.90
3-Bar MAP Sensor G31 $51.95
NewSouth Performance 35 PSI Boost Gauge (Indigo) $74.95
Exhaust Manifold Stud (M8x46) $15.12
Exhaust Stud Washer Exhaust Stud Washer $27.12