2006 Jetta DSG Tranmission Issues

steevz

TDI
02 Jetta TDI, 82 Vanagon 1.6D
Hey guys,

Haven't been here in awhile, due to the fact I haven't had a TDI in awhile.

So I got the mother-in-laws 2006 Jetta TDI with a DSG transmission, 250k kms.

After driving on the highway for approximately 20 minutes, upon coming to the first stop the transmission with go into PRNDS flashing mode. Which seems like it defaults to first and third gears.

Also so I pulled the codes off the transmission and there were a few. So after the car sat for a few hours I reset the codes. No PRNDS flashing.

I took the car for a drive, transmission was working perfect no issues. I was monitoring the trans. temp with VCDS and it was all normal. Pulled onto the highway and cruised for approximately 20 minutes at 120km/hr.

Transmission temperature got to 77'C when I pulled off the highway. After coming to my first stop it faulted out. PRNDS flashing.

Pulled a 19164 - Pressure Control Solenoid 6, Open or Short to Ground, Intermittent.

I then proceeded to limp the car back home. Once home I cleared the code to see if the PRNDS would stop flashing, it didn't but now pulled a different code.

18154 - Transmission Solenoid Power Relay: Electrical Malfunction.

I cleared the codes again, key off, key on and 18154 returns right away.

After leaving the car sit for awhile the transmission will come back to life.

The car is definitely overdue for a DSG service. But this seems more like an electrical issue. Does this point to the mechatronics unit? Is it repairable?

The pressure control solenoid 6 code makes sense to me. But where is the transmission solenoid power relay?

Any help greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Check the grounds under the air cleaner area, and check the big round connector to the M-unit for both corrosion and fluid leaks. It is the one near the starter (the only connector on the whole transmission).

steevz

TDI
02 Jetta TDI, 82 Vanagon 1.6D
Grounds are all good. Connector is clean and snug.

After sitting for an extended period the transmission works perfectly. Only after driving for approximately 25 to 30 minutes does it fault out, flashing PRNDS.

For me it seems like after reaching a certain temperature there is a connection that opens up in the transmission.

Does anyone know where to purchase a mechatronics unit? Is it a dealer only item?

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
I got one for a BRM customer from 1stVWparts.com for $1000. Have your VIN ready. Don't know if it was rebuilt or whatever (what would it matter) but there was no core charge. The price may well vary with the part number. It seems to be anywhere from $1000-1500.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Did you remove the airbox and check the major chassis ground hidden underneath it?

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
High there I'm experiencing the exact same issues and codes with my 06 Jetta and was wondering what you came up with as the problem and possible fix
I had the same exact issues a year or so ago. It ended up being the grounds as Ol'Rattler and Oilhammer suggested.

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
former '04 Beetle TDI, now 2x '15 Audi Q5 TDI's, 2007 Dodge Ram 4x4 6.7
I bought a '04 Beetle with a bad trans. The transmission shop told me they could rebuild until they saw the silver ring on the shifter that said DSG. We couldn't find a mechtronic unit so had to go to the dealer and buy a new transmission that was $3800 5 years ago. A month or so ago I saw that Kerma has the mechtronic unit with the updated firmware in the range of $800. While you have it out, you could change the clutch pack and my son said he saw the clutch replacement kit there as well. You can replace the mechtronic unit in the car but be careful taking it out as there is a long plastic prong with a sensor at the end of it that can get broken off. It has to come out straight until that prong clears the transmission. These transmissions need to have the filter and fluid every 40k miles, no exceptions. The guy at the dealer told me that fluid changes is what it takes to get these transmissions to last and they won't warranty new car transmissions if this service is performed. The filter could be stopped up. It looks like a little roll to toilet paper. Heat is usually because of friction and you would have that if the fluid isn't flowing and cooling things down inside. There is also a cooler on the front but when they go bad, there is usually a coolant leak either inside or running out.

Last edited: