TDIFest 2011 coming to Lexington, KY

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
How is it going through WV on RT 79 never been on that road? The trip for me is around 9hrs 600+miles a nice clean out run:D.

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
AWESOME!!!

~420 mile drive, I have the weekend off, and I have family in Lexington!!

:)

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Google Maps says 233 miles. There and back on a single tank, with plenty to spare. :D

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
How is it going through WV on RT 79 never been on that road? The trip for me is around 9hrs 600+miles a nice clean out run:D.

Not bad and a heck of a lot more senic. Been down it on the bike several times.

N4TY

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta
Try Southwest

already looking at plane tickets. :rolleyes: this one isn't gonna be cheap! :eek:
Hey Zippy,
Try looking at Southwest into Louisville (SDF). It's likely a lot cheaper, and is around 75 minutes from the Lexington site. Flying in/out of LEX is always higher, and Cinci isn't much better (CVG).

- Tyler

Hurst89

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Pkg 0 5spd TDI
When will it be? I'm about 15 minutes away from Lexington, so if I'm home, I'd love to join. Also, if I'm home, we have an air lift and a closed shop at our farm....

Hurst

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
not me, I dont know what bruce is talking about...

unless he is talking Aaron K from boraparts..

Last edited:

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
Best horses and bourbon around.... great history, super culture and food... Hooyay!!!

Congrads!!! on the great choice ... should be way fun!!

34 hours 53 minutes / 2370.14 miles from SF.... hummmmm....

Last edited:

BrentRN

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to have many. Now a Golf TSI.
One tankful with room to spare from Philadelphia!

I've never been to Kentucky. What's there to see or do?

N4TY

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta
comments on I-79

One of my pals is an OTR driver for UPS, and he runs from Lexington on I-64 to Jane Lew, WV via I-79 every day --- round trip 571 miles. He could have any run because of union seniority, but chooses this one, because the drive is so scenic. You will enjoy it.

That said, Charlestown and Huntington are speed trap meccas, and they seem to be on quota. Said pal got pulled over twice, once for 3MPH over. To make it interesting, the posted speed changes up and down erratically. My last trip there, here are the unique speed signs seen along I-79: 70, 65, 60, 55, 50, and 45MPH :eek: Nice run, but clean? Watch your speed ;)

bf1967

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf
already looking at plane tickets. :rolleyes: this one isn't gonna be cheap! :eek:
If your not aware, check airfare to Cincinnati and Louisville as well. Both are a little more than an hour away. Lexington's airport is on the smaller side and thus doesn't have a large volume of flights in and out and is typically more pricey.

Bob

GardenStateTDI

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
2011 Fest

Hey Monster, I went up to Morgantown, WV from Jersey. I believe it was route 68 that had some mountainous roads, and the (4) engine squrriels in my Chevy Aveo were screaming while climbing them. With my 2010 Jetta TDI it should be a piece of cake. I believe you will encounter the same moutainous roads once you pass through Morgantown. I believe that will be route 79.

I am thinking about going (will be my first one and a newbie to the TDI), but I have to see about the time off and check my finances. Maybe I will see you there. According to mapquest, my trip time is roughy 10.5 hours & 657 miles

GardenStateTDI :)

Last edited:

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
Previously:'02 Jetta. Now: '13 Subaru XV Crosstrek!
If your not aware, check airfare to Cincinnati and Louisville as well. Both are a little more than an hour away. Lexington's airport is on the smaller side and thus doesn't have a large volume of flights in and out and is typically more pricey.

Bob
I was not aware! thanks for the enlightenment. I'll be sure to keep my eyes posted.
Thanks for the heads up about the site too, Bruce. :)

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
After Portland, ME to Portland, OR I think I can cope with a short trip from Lexington, MA to Lexington, KY....

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
After Portland, ME to Portland, OR I think I can cope with a short trip from Lexington, MA to Lexington, KY....
Lexington, Ma to Lexington, KY is only 926.5 miles. What's the range of the Cabrio?

On the last day of my return trip from Fest I did 950 from Joliet, Il to Hatfiled, MA. That was a long day. ~7,000 miles all told.

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2021 Tesla Model 3 (delivery estimate May 2021)
Hey Monster, I went up to Morgantown, WV from Jersey. I believe it was route 68 that had some mountainous roads, and the (4) engine squrriels in my Chevy Aveo were screaming while climbing them. With my 2010 Jetta TDI it should be a piece of cake. I believe you will encounter the same moutainous roads once you pass through Morgantown. I believe that will be route 79.

I am thinking about going (will be my first one and a newbie to the TDI), but I have to see about the time off and check my finances. Maybe I will see you there. According to mapquest, my trip time is roughy 10.5 hours & 657 miles

Piece of cake. I took I-68 west from Hancock to Morgantown on my way home from the 2009 Fest. You get to an elevation of almost 3,000 feet.

Last edited:

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green

Mountain roads don't bother me.I wonder what kinda shape the roads are in and how many lanes.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Since everyone is posting their miles to drive to Lexington, I'll add mine. According to Google maps, my drive will be between 1,933 and 1,950 depending on route. This means (including my side trips to Cincy to visit family) my total mileage for this years Fest will be over 4,000 miles. Wish me luck.:rolleyes:

Have Fun!

Don

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
2500mi from here... Don't think I'm gonna make this one.