Home oil changes - Big Mess

TexasTDI

I finally started my own oil changes (98 TDI) after purchasing a set of Rhino Ramps. The only problem encountered was the oil spilling everywhere when I removed the VW filter. Is there a cleaner way to do this ? Drill a hole in the filter and drain it first ? Any ideas are appreciated.

Randy W

Veteran Member
Your're close...

The Filter Manufacturers Council in their 'hot change' procedure recomend that you punch a hole in the bottom of the filte with a screwdriver or hole punch.

The art of changing an oil filter without getting dirty is as old as oil itself. If I haven't changed 100,000 of the things I haven't changed 1. (Dad owned a service station for 12 years, and we didn't know about Amsoil....
)

By holeing the filter, you minimize the potential for mess. However the location of the drain pan, the angle of the hole and how quick you are getting out of the way are all factors that help.

Try that and experiment with what works best for you. It is hard not to spill at least 'some' oil, but you are right in that is doesn't have to be a nightmare.

Good luck,

Randy

Strack

Veteran Member
I had this problem with my VW Fox. My quick fix was to place numerous cloth rags under the filter to catch the oil as it leaked out of the filter casing. Once the filter started turning off, I would slowly hand turn the casing, minimizing the spill.

Luckily, my Jetta has the new drop in cartridge filter, pretty nifty design which eliminates this mess.

TexasTDI

What is the new drop in filter ? I have a 2000 TDI also, but havent changed the oil yet. Is this model any better ?

Ted

Veteran Member
Texas TdI,

Yeah, just loosen the filter enough until oil starts running down the backside, and let it run into the drain pan for five minutes before you loosen it all the way. Then make sure to keep it vertical and you won't make a mess. If you have some old leather gloves you can grip the hot filter without making some kind of torture test out of the whole thing! A piece of sandpaper works well for this also.

TooSlick

M

mickey

Run a search for "A4 oil change" for more information. You have a vertical metal housing between the engine block and the radiator. A replaceable paper filter element drops vertically into the housing. (Well, it doesn't really "drop" in. You have to press it into place so it'll fit over the oil outlet pipe from the block.) It's quick, easy and neat. No spills!

-mickey

cars wanted

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS-TDI, 2000, white/beige
I simply wore cheap rubber gloves when I would change my Rabbit's oil filter. No muss, and I could throw away the gloves or wipe with paper towels for re-use.

TexasTDI

Thanks to all who replied.
*RICK - I removed the protective cover. I have to, or (from underneath) you cannot gain access to the oil filter. Perhaps your vehicle is different than my 98 TDI ?

Next change, I will try to unscrew the filter slightly and let some of the oil dribble out. This should help. I did not realize how many turns it took to take the filter off, so I tried to do it quickly (big mistake). BTW, Walmart sells "Simple Green" cleaner to remove deseil oil off your face if you use my filter removal method.

As some know, the filter location is in a good spot to collect spilled oil on frame members and areas under the car. I cleaned up with several rags, but you cant get all of it and I found a few drops over the next couple of days - nasty spots to clean off my concrete.

The "punch a hole in the filter" method sounds good too. May give that a try sometime.

Again, thanks to the group.

Ruf

TDI
1998 Jetta*sold* 2004 Jetta
I drain my oil for about an hour or so then I change the filter. By that time, generally there is no oil that leaks from my filter. I just changed it and my filter did not leak at all. But I use those "so called inferior" FRAM filters!

BTW I always remove my plastic cover and replace when done.

------------------
1998 Jetta TDI Tornado Red stock. Chip?...I don't need no stinking chip!!