SACH's disk and pressure plate with FIDANZA flywheel

blackout06

Veteran Member
Sicily cant wait to get back to Seattle WA
TDI
2006 jetta TDI US spec
well im starting to feel the mk5 clutch shutter when starting from stops and after reading the wonderful story's of peoples clutchs' giving out destroying the dmf and some even destroying the transmission casing i figure before i get to this i might as well just get it out of the way.

SO who all is running the VR6 Sachs' clutch/pressure plate any complaints

Is ANYONE running a FIDANZA G60 aluminum flywheel? i had one in my mk3 2.slow and loved it any comments on this im not sure if anyone is using aluminum flywheels or if everyone is using steel please shed some light on this

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
If you just search here, this has all been covered and there are threads discussing this. I haven't read anything here about FIDANZA though. If this is a lightened flywheel, the general impression I have gotten from reading here is that there is little need for this with the diesel. The Bentley manual warns against mixing and matching the LuK and Sachs clutch packages. This might also apply to what you are wanting to do.

blackout06

Veteran Member
Sicily cant wait to get back to Seattle WA
TDI
2006 jetta TDI US spec
cool thanks :S

yeah i read around and didnt get much on aluminum fly wheels. read prety much lightweight flywheels make extra chatter. and contrary to popular belife there is a gain in performance even for a diesel going with a lighter weight flywheel. the less rotational mass the better. but there is normaly a breaking point i cant seem to find what the breaking point is and im not about to go through another 50 page BRM clutch thread so heres the deal im going to post some questions that i havent found the exact answer to and yall let me know if you have the answers to them thanks. cheers.

Flywheel

1. Has Anyone Used This Flywheel In A TDI?

the fidanza flywheel is an aluminum flywheel with a steel friction surface that can be changed ( therefore rather than having to have the flywheel resurfaced if i ever need to change the clutch again i can just replace the friction surface...) im not looking to get it because i can change the friction surface but if i can shead a little weight and keep the strength of steel as the friction surface i think i would benifit. and at $200 bones its not a huge dent in the wallet.

2. I havent ran accross a straight answer when it comes to using a FULL Aluminum FW is there any disadvantage other than the extra chatter due to being less mass?

SACH's Clutch

1. anyone have any issues with this setup? ie wore through fast center seperated...

2. would anyone get a different clutch over the sach's thanks

Thanks to all and yes i SEARCHED!!! after literaly 4 hours of reading here at work i threw in the towl and started another thread

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Just so you know. I believe the Valeo clutch kit is the one most people said they were using and that it was quiet. This can be had from the online vendors here for around $350 I think. I also was given CarQuest Auto parts name by Valeo, and they quoted me $299 for the kit (local). The Bentely manual also warns against mixing the Luk and the Sachs. I would think I would buy a complete kit and not mix and match anything.

I will go with the Valeo as it says it mimics function of the DMF and people have reported it as being quiet.

http://www.valeoservice.com/html/unitedkingdom/en/actualitesdetail.php?wid=165358215146C9C0533FCA7

Good luck finding the information you need!

cvalentine

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf, 2014 328d
I haven't heard anything either, Fidanza Flywheels aren't that popular in VWs I guess.

Fidanza used to just press the ring gear on, and there were some reports on the MR2 owners club forum that eventually the starter would just spin the ring gear on the flywheel. I believe they are now using small bolts to key it in.

They also weren't putting locktite on the bolts that held the friction steel in, and the was a few reports where the bolts would back out and trash the flywheel and clutch.